Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Ex-Steelers Doctor indicated for distributing anabolic steroids (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54189)

Trogdor 10-19-2012 11:55 AM

Ex-Steelers Doctor indicated for distributing anabolic steroids

Quote:

A doctor released from the Pittsburgh Steelers medical staff five years ago after investigators questioned his bulk purchase of anabolic steroids has been indicted for illegally prescribing the muscle-building aids.

Authorities are not listing the team or any of its players as among the recipients.

Sixty-two-year-old Dr. Richard Rydze is expected to appear before a federal magistrate Friday.

Rydze left the Steelers in June 2007. The FBI accuses him of conspiring to distribute steroids and human growth hormone from September 2007 through March 2011. He also is charged with illegally prescribing painkillers during a slightly longer time frame -- including a few months when he was still with the team.

A Steelers spokesman declined to comment Friday. In 2007, president Art Rooney II said Rydze denied giving players steroids.
Interesting to say the least. Wonder if this will trickle down like BALCO and some players will be named.

Rosebud 10-19-2012 12:13 PM

Duh...I'm just hoping people don't start to make a big deal out of steroids in football the way they did steroids in baseball.

Giantsfan1080 10-19-2012 12:22 PM

They won't. Baseball is the only sports that people care about because the records that were being broken are cherished. 90% of the NFL does steroids/HGH. Another reason why the NFLPA is full of hypocrites.

PackerLegend 10-19-2012 12:24 PM

James Harrison?

Rosebud 10-19-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 3155919)
They won't. Baseball is the only sports that people care about because the records that were being broken are cherished. 90% of the NFL does steroids/HGH. Another reason why the NFLPA is full of hypocrites.

I hope so, cause I could really care less about baseball, but if the stupid anti-steroids in sports thing hits one of the sports I do care about, I'mma be pissed.

BuckeyeDan17 10-19-2012 12:34 PM

Will Roger be pouncing on this one?

Vox Populi 10-19-2012 12:48 PM

At least hes only been indicated.

killxswitch 10-19-2012 02:04 PM

Can someone explain to me why roids and hgh are such a big deal to the feds?

Smooth Criminal 10-19-2012 03:48 PM

Wish he'd have shared with the Pirates.

Rosebud 10-19-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 3156042)

Cause they clear have nothing better to do?

Vox Populi 10-19-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

I always assumed that its because once everyone is on it, it basically forces people to start using them earlier and earlier so when everyone knows that the pros are using it, the college players all get jacked up on the same or similar substances. Once that happens, the high school players see that they need it to be a succesful college player. On top of that they can't ensure the product is any good either and could be a lot more dangerous than the kind of steroids that a professional athlete is using properly with a doctor making sure his hormones and blood aren't going insane.

Thats just based on pure assumption though. Maybe they just really like ensuring integrity...

Trogdor 10-19-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FDCA). Been illegal in terms of anabolic steroids since 1938.

Quote:

The distribution of anabolic steroids and/or human growth hormone for muscle enhancement purposes may involve conduct designed both to defraud the United States and to violate federal law. Since 1938, federal law has prohibited the distribution of anabolic steroids and/or human growth hormone outside a legitimate doctor-patient relationship. Originally, the government's principal legal claim was made under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and involved allegations that individuals were distributing anabolic steroids and/or human growth hormone, both of which are prescription drugs, without a prescription.
http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/fo...4/civ00019.htm

WMD 10-19-2012 04:45 PM

Steroids rule.