Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Mock Draft 2.0 - 10/27/12 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54261)

Scott Wright 10-26-2012 07:25 PM

Mock Draft 2.0 - 10/27/12

Just posted the second mock draft of the year and there were a lot of big changes!

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

Raiderz4Life 10-26-2012 07:30 PM

Scott, great job as always, do you think 5 is too high for Milliner or Banks?

I would say our D-line is solid, could definitely use a pass rusher no doubt, but when your starting secondary is Lee-Branch-Giordano-Huff, something needs to be done. So I think CB, DE, and QB would be top 3 positions to look at for the Raiders.

You mentioned a TE but I think Myers has been doing a great job thus far.

PossibleCabbage 10-26-2012 07:31 PM

I think the comparison to Mark Ingram in the Lattimore writeup are pretty indicative. Ingram is pretty much shown that the value (or lack thereof) of a workhorse style back in a passing offense with limited touches available for an RB. Would Lattimore really be any better in Green Bay's offense than Ingram was in New Orleans'?

I'm not sure he's a great zone running back anyway.

I'd rather have Eifert in Green Bay than any of this year's RBs anyway.

coordinator0 10-26-2012 07:34 PM

I really like the Arthur Brown pick for the Ravens. MLB might be the biggest need on the team and he's a good fit for what they need in the front-seven.

Pat Sims 90 10-26-2012 07:37 PM

How does Werner fall out of the top 15? Pass Rushers are a perineum in the NFL and he is arguably one of the best in this class.

PossibleCabbage 10-26-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 (Post 3164129)
How does Werner fall out of the top 15? Pass Rushers are a perineum in the NFL and he is arguably one of the best in this class.

Probably (and this isn't fair to him, but this happens) because there's kind of a stigma attached FSU pass rushers since the track record has not been strong (it's like PSU RBs or USC WRs.)

princefielder28 10-26-2012 07:49 PM

I think having a solid center in Barrett Jones would do the team more good than Lattimore

Scott Wright 10-26-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderz Fo' Life (Post 3164122)
Scott, great job as always, do you think 5 is too high for Milliner or Banks?

I do think Top 5 overall would be too rich for Johnathan Banks or Dee Milliner. They are more mid-1st Round values, although I may be in the minority because I personally prefer Banks.

Matthew Jones 10-26-2012 07:51 PM

Sylvester Williams is a solid value but I think the Patriots should look for another pass rusher more than a defensive tackle considering they already have Vince Wilfork and Kyle Love.

Scott Wright 10-26-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage (Post 3164123)
I think the comparison to Mark Ingram in the Lattimore writeup are pretty indicative. Ingram is pretty much shown that the value (or lack thereof) of a workhorse style back in a passing offense with limited touches available for an RB. Would Lattimore really be any better in Green Bay's offense than Ingram was in New Orleans'?

I'm not sure he's a great zone running back anyway.

I'd rather have Eifert in Green Bay than any of this year's RBs anyway.

I definitely think it's fair to question whether Lattimore is a special enough prospect at the running back position to invest a first round pick on. Personally, I'd be inclined to wait a round or two where I could get similar productive at a fraction of the cost.

As for Ingram, I think some of his issues stem from how New Orleans utilizes him and he really hasn't gotten a chance to be a workhorse in the NFL yet.

Scott Wright 10-26-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Sims 90 (Post 3164129)

Just not sure Werner is dynamic enough as a pass rusher to go in the top half of round one. Don't get me wrong Werner is a terrific all-around player, but I wonder how much of a force he will be off the edge at the next level. As "PossibleCabbage" mentioned, Florida St. defensive ends don't exactly have a great track record translating to the NFL either.

Scott Wright 10-26-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3164137)
Sylvester Williams is a solid value but I think the Patriots should look for another pass rusher more than a defensive tackle considering they already have Vince Wilfork and Kyle Love.

New England has added a lot of defensive end / outside linebacker types like Jermaine Cunningham, Chandler Jones and Jake Bequette the past few years though...

PossibleCabbage 10-26-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3164140)
I definitely think it's fair to question whether Lattimore is a special enough prospect at the running back position to invest a first round pick on. Personally, I'd be inclined to wait a round or two where I could get similar productive at a fraction of the cost.

As for Ingram, I think some of his issues stem from how New Orleans utilizes him and he really hasn't gotten a chance to be a workhorse in the NFL yet.

Well, why would New Orleans give Ingram a chance to be a workhorse back when it involves taking the ball out of Drew Brees's hands?

Likewise, why would Green Bay give Lattimore a chance to be a workhorse back when it involves taking the ball out of Aaron Rodgers' hands?

I think the "wait to take RBs" school of thought is correct, and particularly correct when it comes to teams which run their offense through the passing game. If you want to play RB in a pass-first offense, you need to be able to block, catch, and make the most of limited opportunities. You can't be a guy who needs 20-25 carries to get rolling, which is what, I fear, most "consensus top RBs" are. I don't think guys who block, catch, and can hit an open hole when there is one are necessarily worth first round picks.

antwanboldin 10-26-2012 08:00 PM

I think you Can eliminate WR as a possibIlity for Dallas. Right now they're getting embarrassed at the LOS.

Warmack looks iupati-esque so that's a good call. They should be after Montgomery, barkevious, Werner, and Moore too.

redbills 10-26-2012 08:15 PM

No way they kick Glenn from the LT spot and you don't draft a RT in the top 10. Pears/Hairstion combo is fine at RT.

Scott Wright 10-26-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbills (Post 3164152)
No way they kick Glenn from the LT spot and you don't draft a RT in the top 10. Pears/Hairstion combo is fine at RT.

Ah, Bills fans. I remember the days when they were ripping me on these same forums for saying Terrance Pennington wasn't the long-term answer. Same goes for Hairston and Pairs.

Raiderz4Life 10-26-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbills (Post 3164152)

If you don't see the problem with that piece then, idk.

bucfan12 10-26-2012 08:42 PM

Scott,

Good mock overall, but I question the Bucs pick. Why Jonathon Hankins? If you've watched any game this year, they're bleeding for CB help. Milliner to the Bucs makes a lot more sense. I like Hankins, but Milliner is a stud CB prospect that I can't see them passing up in your scenario there.

Thanks Scott.

redbills 10-26-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3164157)
Ah, Bills fans. I remember the days when they were ripping me on these same forums for saying Terrance Pennington wasn't the long-term answer. Same goes for Hairston and Pairs.

Nix isn't moving Glenn from LT so doesn't matter what you think they should do. they see him as a LT he's played good there he isn't getting moved. Can the Luke play RT cuz he isn't playing LT for the Bills. Also Nix has never drafted a OT in round 1 so I don't see him taking a RT at 6. Cb, SS, de, 2 lb, WR and qb are all needed way before a rt.

Scott Wright 10-26-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3164160)
Scott,

Good mock overall, but I question the Bucs pick. Why Jonathon Hankins? If you've watched any game this year, they're bleeding for CB help. Milliner to the Bucs makes a lot more sense. I like Hankins, but Milliner is a stud CB prospect that I can't see them passing up in your scenario there.

Thanks Scott.

Can't disagree on the need for a cornerback in Tampa, especially if they let Aqib "Weed" Talib go. It just came down to value and I didn't feel Johnthan Banks or Dee Milliner were worth a Top 10 overall pick. Al things being equal a corner gets the edge over defensive tackle though.

armageddon 10-26-2012 09:18 PM

Decent Rams picks

How much better is Joekel than Lewan ? Also, they better be sure Reid is a difference maker if they pass on Warmack. Joekel / Lewan + Warmach would turn the Rams line into a dominant force.

Matthew Jones 10-26-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderz Fo' Life (Post 3164159)
If you don't see the problem with that piece then, idk.

I'm having some trouble seeing the problem. The Bills rank fourth in rushing yards and have allowed only eight sacks. Why rebuild one of the most effective offensive lines in the league? Pears isn't great but they can go elsewhere and wait for Zebrie Sanders to develop.

Raiderz4Life 10-26-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3164172)
I'm having some trouble seeing the problem. The Bills rank fourth in rushing yards and have allowed only eight sacks. Why rebuild one of the most effective offensive lines in the league? Pears isn't great but they can go elsewhere and wait for Zebrie Sanders to develop.

Rotating 2 players to play 1 position? I'm not math genius but even I can see that's not a good thing.

Matthew Jones 10-26-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderz Fo' Life (Post 3164175)
Rotating 2 players to play 1 position? I'm not math genius but even I can see that's not a good thing.

When you're picking in the top ten, you need to drastically revamp your team in some capacity. Why waste a high pick on a unit which ranks among the NFL's best while ignoring bigger issues, like the 31st-ranked defense?

Raiderz4Life 10-26-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3164179)
When you're picking in the top ten, you need to drastically revamp your team in some capacity. Why waste a high pick on a unit which ranks among the NFL's best while ignoring bigger issues, like the 31st-ranked defense?

I'm not saying its a high priority. What I am saying is that that's not a long term solution.