Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Better Pro Prospect: Stedman Bailey or Tavon Austin? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54341)

DraftSwag 11-01-2012 01:13 PM

Better Pro Prospect: Stedman Bailey or Tavon Austin?

I've had the opportunity to watch a little bit of West Virginia this year and love they're offense. Who do you guys think will be the better player at the next level Stedman Bailey or Tavon Austin. Obviously Bailey looks the part more than Austin, but Tavon is one explosive dude. With NFL teams moving towards smaller faster players do you think Austin may have a chance of outperforming Bailey. It seems like in the past the NFL was all about polished receivers that are polished route runners, excellent hands, etc. but I have started to see a trend of less polished receivers becoming exceptional play makers in the NFL. Starting to see more drag routes and screens. Prime example is Mike Wallace, not a great route runner nor does he have exceptional hands, but obviously has that blazing speed.

princefielder28 11-01-2012 02:15 PM

I prefer Tavon Austin...

Pat Sims 90 11-01-2012 02:22 PM

I like Tavon Austin more he reminds me so much of Percy Harvin.

DraftSwag 11-01-2012 02:30 PM

I like Tavon Austin, but I have some questions with his top end speed and route running ability. I don't think you can compare him to Percy because I think Percy is bigger and faster, but I could be wrong.

norcalgsr 11-01-2012 05:09 PM

Stedman Bailey. He's money on the skinny post/slant at the goalline.

Tavon Austin is more like Jerrel Jernigan and TY Hilton. I don't see Harvin's power in Austin.

SickwithIt1010 11-01-2012 05:19 PM

Bailey is a much better route runner and pure WR IMO. Austin is a better athlete and is a little better when it comes to YAC but he relies a lot on the streak and his speed. Austin is Harvin-Like. If I was going for potential and who will probably be better down the road its probably Austin. However as of right now its Bailey.

D-Unit 11-01-2012 06:09 PM

Is Austin really better than say ... Ace Sanders?

rawdawg 11-01-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3170177)
Is Austin really better than say ... Ace Sanders?

Yes. Austin is a good bit faster than Ace (I'd say about 1/8 seconds faster). He's a much more polished WR. I don't know that Ace is even draftable, while Austin is a Day 2 pick (and probably 2nd round).

stlouisfan37 11-10-2012 05:51 AM

I really like Austin. I think the comparison to TY Hilton is pretty good, although I would say that Austin has better field vision than Hilton. In the open field he kind of reminds me of Desean Jackson. I think his great vision will also help him limit his injuries at the next level.

Ace Sanders reminds me a lot of Dante Hall. Super quick, short steps that can stop and start on a dime, and get to full speed like that, but no "special" gear.

TACKLE 11-17-2012 09:54 PM

Tavon Austin...

We are all witnesses. (well some of us)

Docta 11-17-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3184377)
Tavon Austin...

We are all witnesses. (well some of us)

4 recs, 81 yards + 22 car, 345 yards, 2 TDs + 7 KRs, 135 yards.

Ri. Dic. U. Lous.

kwilk103 11-17-2012 10:47 PM

bailey was overshadowed tonight

13 for 205 4tds

descendency 11-17-2012 11:00 PM

I'd bet on Bailey to go higher in the draft.

Caulibflower 11-18-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3184536)

I wouldn't. Tavon Austin can do it all, while Bailey's mostly an undersized receiver with speed to spare but inconsistent hands. I'm taking Tavon Austin over Bailey all day.

TACKLE 11-18-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3184585)
I wouldn't. Tavon Austin can do it all, while Bailey's mostly an undersized receiver with speed to spare but inconsistent hands. I'm taking Tavon Austin over Bailey all day.

Me neither. Stedman's had a hell of a year and in theory is more capable of being a starter on the outside but skillset wise, he doesn't really have any special qualities that set him apart. Tavon on the other hand most certainly does and the value of the slot WR is ever increasing.

Can you imagine if the Pats took Tavon to replace Welker....

bigbuc 11-18-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3184587)
Me neither. Stedman's had a hell of a year and in theory is more capable of being a starter on the outside but skillset wise, he doesn't really have any special qualities that set him apart. Tavon on the other hand most certainly does and the value of the slot WR is ever increasing.

Can you imagine if the Pats took Tavon to replace Welker....

It's funny how everyone thinks you can just replace Welker. The guy has had 4 seasons of over 110 receptions and gone over 1,100 yards in a season 4 times... On pace this year for 117 and 1,400.

I'm sorry but Tavon should pray to god he becomes the player Wes is.

TACKLE 11-18-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbuc (Post 3184593)
It's funny how everyone thinks you can just replace Welker. The guy has had 4 seasons of over 110 receptions and gone over 1,100 yards in a season 4 times... On pace this year for 117 and 1,400.

Well at less than a quarter of the price, it might be worth finding out if he can be.

Plat 11-18-2012 01:11 AM

I don't think he meant replace Wes production-wise but position.

norcalgsr 11-18-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3184536)

Don't care where Bailey goes, but he will have a better career because he's a better pure WR.

Austin will be overdrafted and land with an OC who doesn't know how to use him or won't use him enough.

Caulibflower 11-18-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbuc (Post 3184593)

Welker wouldn't be putting up those stats in any other offense, and if you're comparing skillsets, Welker doesn't have much at all on Tavon Austin other than an idea of "veteran savvy" which seems to cover everything from route-running to hands by default.

TACKLE 11-18-2012 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3184608)
Welker wouldn't be putting up those stats in any other offense, and if you're comparing skillsets, Welker doesn't have much at all on Tavon Austin other than an idea of "veteran savvy" which seems to cover everything from route-running to hands by default.

Haha when I saw that comment I knew you'd be all over that.

AntoinCD 11-18-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3184608)

What Welker has on virtually every other slot or inside WR in the NFL is a tremendous football IQ and chemistry with Brady. They never are on different pages. Welker's footwork in and out of his routes is so sharp as well. However to include his hands as a positive is simply a fallacy now. Welker has had issues with drops the last few years.

As for Austin I would absolutely love him on the Pats. I'm not sure he is the same type of player to Welker. To me he is more like Amendola but could also be used similar to Cobb or Harvin depending on how creative your offensive coordinator would like to be, and in Josh McDaniels' case that is pretty creative to the point of too creative at times.

Iamcanadian 11-18-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3184585)

I'm in full agreement. Austin is a game changer, Bailey is just an average receiver playing with a great QB.

kwilk103 11-18-2012 11:03 PM

572 AP yards for tavon yesterday

6 plays of 30+ yards; runs: 31, 47, 54, 56, 74; catch: 47

kwilk103 11-19-2012 04:12 PM

just a quick note on austin

if he stays at rb the last 3 games (assuming we make a bowl), he would need 553 yds to have 1,000rush yds; avg 184 yds/game

he would then be the 1st D1A player to have 1,000 rush/1,000 receiving yds; brian westbrook did it at the 1AA level