Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dallas Cowboys Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I'm coming to Texas! (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54346)

D-Unit 11-01-2012 07:07 PM

I'm coming to Texas!
 
So I booked a Disney Cruise for my family that leaves out of Galveston. We want to spend a few days in Texas but what should I do?

I know I definitely want to check out the stadium... but don't have any other ideas.

We'll be there in March so football season will be over.

pocketaces 11-01-2012 08:07 PM

Cowboy stadium has tours year round. Rangers stadium and six flags are all right there too. Id recommend going to the Galleria Mall as well

D-Unit 11-01-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocketaces (Post 3170291)
Cowboy stadium has tours year round. Rangers stadium and six flags are all right there too. Id recommend going to the Galleria Mall as well

Yeah, I'm down for the Cowboys stadium tour. If 6 flags is right there, that sounds like a plan. Anything especially cool about that mall?

pocketaces 11-01-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3170342)
Yeah, I'm down for the Cowboys stadium tour. If 6 flags is right there, that sounds like a plan. Anything especially cool about that mall?

Its huge. It has a Cowboy pro shop and it has an ice skating rink right in the middle of it. Yes six flags is in the same location as the stadiums

D-Unit 11-01-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocketaces (Post 3170373)
Its huge. It has a Cowboy pro shop and it has an ice skating rink right in the middle of it. Yes six flags is in the same location as the stadiums

How hard is the drive from Galveston to Arlington?

pocketaces 11-01-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3170390)
How hard is the drive from Galveston to Arlington?

Define hard lol...Its a long drive, 300 miles or so

E-Man 11-02-2012 10:57 AM

If you're in the DFW area then you would want to hit up Six Flags, but I'm not sure if they'll be open at the time. The Galleria Mall is a huge place with tons of stuff. A lot of it expensive though. Of course the DFW is pretty far from Gavelston, so if you're only in Texas for just a few hours then hang out on the coast instead of driving way up here only to drive back instantly. lol

NY+Giants=NYG 11-02-2012 11:27 AM

I never been, but the steak and texas BBQ is supposed to be good.

D-Unit 11-02-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Man (Post 3170730)
If you're in the DFW area then you would want to hit up Six Flags, but I'm not sure if they'll be open at the time. The Galleria Mall is a huge place with tons of stuff. A lot of it expensive though. Of course the DFW is pretty far from Gavelston, so if you're only in Texas for just a few hours then hang out on the coast instead of driving way up here only to drive back instantly. lol

I'm thinking of spending 3 days touring Texas, but I want to maximize my time.

Day 1 - Drive from Galveston to Dallas, Cowboys Stadium tour, something else? Not really down with spending money at a mall.

Day 2 - 6 Flags

Any sight seeing / historical things to see?

E-Man 11-03-2012 07:39 PM

The Sixth Floor museum here in Dallas is a great sight. Downtown Dallas is a great place to sight see around that area. Just make sure you catch the bus or something because parking prices are a *****.

Borat 11-03-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3170857)
Any sight seeing / historical things to see?

The grassy knoll.

Paul 11-04-2012 08:13 PM

My office is 2 minutes from the stadium. You'll be surprised what a **** hole Arlington is.

D-Unit 11-06-2012 05:19 PM

Is the Stock Yard any good?

FinChase 11-19-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3175551)
Is the Stock Yard any good?

Yes, the Stockyards in Ft. Worth is worth a visit. Downtown Ft. Worth, particularly Sundance Square, is a fun place. If you care for museums, check out the museum district in Ft. Worth: The Kimball is an internationally recognized art museum, considered to be one of the best of its size. In the same area is the Amon Carter Museum of Western Art, which is quite a collection of American art. It has the largest collection of Russells and Remingtons in the world, I think, but it also has a lot of art, photography and sculpture from other parts of the country. You may wonder why I keep emphasizing Ft. Worth here: The reason is that though they've been trying to catch up, Ft. Worth leads Dallas in in museums. A drive through Waxahachie in Ennis County will give you a chance to see a lot of really well-preserved late Victorian and Edwardian houses.

As far as other things to see in the state, if you are driving down, a stop in San Antonio might be enjoyable. It's a really nice city and the river walk is beautiful. There's also the Alamo, if you are historically inclined. You'll be surprised by how small it is. I also highly recommend a drive through the Hill Country in central Texas. People who think of Texas is all flat plains are quite surprised by the Hill Country. I love the lakes in that area. My favorite is Lake LBJ because my grandparents had a house on that lake, but the others are beautiful as well. There is an interesting limestone cavern, Longhorn Caverns, in the area, near Burnet (pronounced Burn-it). It won't compete with Carlsbad, of course, but it's no dinky little cave. There's also some interesting antiques and old houses in Fredericksburg.

Of course, while you're on the coast, Galveston Island is a great place. You won't be impressed with the beach or anything like that, being from Hawaii, but the town of Galveston is interesting. A walk along The Strand reveals lots of interesting different shops. Galveston got hit hard by a hurricane just a few years ago, though, so I don't know how much it has recovered yet from the damage. Depending on how old your kids are, you may want to take them to tour NASA in Houston. You can always find malls to visit in every city, but in how many cities can you visit NASA??

Hope the information helps.

FinChase 11-19-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 3173735)
My office is 2 minutes from the stadium. You'll be surprised what a **** hole Arlington is.

It's definitely not a lovely city.

HEISMANHERSCHEL 01-04-2013 01:34 PM

Somehow I missed this thread earlier, so sorry about responding late. I would highly recommend the grassy knoll and the stockyards. Make sure you buy a pair of cowboy boots while your are there. Let me know when you are here, and I will meet you at a Cavender's boot city. I usually can get a discount

Depending on where you will be, there is an old train that leaves in Grapevine, TX, and goes to the stockyards. It would be a good family day, and March is perfect because it would not be too hot. There are lots of neat things to do in Grapevine while you wait for the train. I work in Grapevine, and can probably show you around depending on what day you are there.

D-Unit 01-04-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL (Post 3232527)
Somehow I missed this thread earlier, so sorry about responding late. I would highly recommend the grassy knoll and the stockyards. Make sure you buy a pair of cowboy boots while your are there. Let me know when you are here, and I will meet you at a Cavender's boot city. I usually can get a discount

Depending on where you will be, there is an old train that leaves in Grapevine, TX, and goes to the stockyards. It would be a good family day, and March is perfect because it would not be too hot. There are lots of neat things to do in Grapevine while you wait for the train. I work in Grapevine, and can probably show you around depending on what day you are there.

Thanks for the courtesy! I'll see what our plans are like and let you know. I just found out yesterday that I can't get to the field while we are there taking the Dallas stadium tour. I'm gonna take the tour but it only does the other things like lockerrooms and stuff. Man, I wanted to hit that turf badly!

I've been to Grapevine once. Went to the mall there, ate at Rainforest Cafe. My brother-in-law is from Jacksonville, Texas... by Tyler, so when my wife wanted to visit her sister, we went to Grapevine among other places. Got to see my first Cowboys game...Rangers game... went to see the Alamo, Riverwalk... Slitzerbahn or whatever you call it... drove to Shreveport for some gambling... one fun trip!

D-Unit 01-19-2013 05:00 PM

So here's what we're doing...

Friday
- Arrive in Houston (Hobby Airport) on Friday morning.
- Head to the NASA Space Center - spend a couple hours there.
- Check in to the Disney Cruise in Galvaston.

Friday - Saturday
Cruise will last 8 nights and we'll return to Galvaston on Sat morning.

Saturday
- Wife wants to stop by at Woody's (some famous beef jerky place)
Check into our hotel in Grapevine called the Great Wolf Lodge (anyone heard of this place?)

Sunday
- spend the day at the lodge/activities

Monday
- Dallas Cowboys Stadium Tour
- Check out the Stockyards

Tuesday
- Head back to Hawaii


Thoughts?

BobTheCowboysTroll 01-22-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3170232)
So I booked a Disney Cruise for my family that leaves out of Galveston. We want to spend a few days in Texas but what should I do?

I know I definitely want to check out the stadium... but don't have any other ideas.

We'll be there in March so football season will be over.

One piece of advice, avoid Cowboys DL if they are behind the wheel of cars.

DanZilla 01-26-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3250487)
Tuesday
- Head back to Hawaii

You live in HI, D-Unit? Same here. :wave:

therock6000 01-27-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3250487)
So here's what we're doing...

Friday
- Arrive in Houston (Hobby Airport) on Friday morning.
- Head to the NASA Space Center - spend a couple hours there.
- Check in to the Disney Cruise in Galvaston.

Friday - Saturday
Cruise will last 8 nights and we'll return to Galvaston on Sat morning.

Saturday
- Wife wants to stop by at Woody's (some famous beef jerky place)
Check into our hotel in Grapevine called the Great Wolf Lodge (anyone heard of this place?)

Sunday
- spend the day at the lodge/activities

Monday
- Dallas Cowboys Stadium Tour
- Check out the Stockyards

Tuesday
- Head back to Hawaii


Thoughts?

Kids will love Great Wolf...DM when you get in town so i can get you directions around the metroplex that won't leave you stuck in traffic. (And outside of the stadium and six flags, don't get your hopes up about Arlington)

D-Unit 01-27-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therock6000 (Post 3257450)
Kids will love Great Wolf...DM when you get in town so i can get you directions around the metroplex that won't leave you stuck in traffic. (And outside of the stadium and six flags, don't get your hopes up about Arlington)

That's good to hear about Great Wolf, when it comes to trip planning, I just let my wife plan the whole thing. All I told her is that I want to go to Dallas Stadium.

Question, how long is long enough to spend at Stockyards? Half a day thing or whole day thing?

HEISMANHERSCHEL 01-27-2013 11:22 PM

I am assuming you mean Woody's in Centerville, Texas. Right off I-45. I have a family farm there. They are the bomb! I have been using them for many years to process wild game. You will like them. They make some really good jerky. And across the street you can get the best Bar-B-Q in the world from Cousin's Bar-B-Q.

Once at the Great Wolf, you will be in the big city----Dallas Ft Worth. Please Get in touch with me. I can hook you up.

D-Unit 03-01-2013 05:06 AM

JUST LANDED IN THE MOTHERLAND!

DALLAS, TEXAS BABY!!!!

woohoooooo!

D-Unit 03-09-2013 11:57 AM

Sadly our Disney cruise came to an end. :(

Waiting in Houston hobby airport waiting to go to Dallas! Decided to fly instead of drive.

Great wolf lodge here we come!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.