Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Sean Payton's contract extension voided (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54378)

ryno626 11-04-2012 08:56 AM

Sean Payton's contract extension voided

NFL voids Payton's extension

"At issue in the contract was one specific clause that would have enabled Payton to walk away from the deal if general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended, fired or left the New Orleans organization, sources said.

The league believed that any such language in Payton's contract would set a bad precedent for other coaching contracts and rejected the deal well before Loomis was suspended for the first eight games this season for his part in the bounty scandal.

Dating back to roughly the start of this year, the two sides engaged in numerous subsequent conversations to try to resolve the issue but never did."

ryno626 11-04-2012 08:59 AM

Jerry Jones is on line 1?

Nalej 11-04-2012 09:00 AM

They're making a big deal out of this on ESPNRadio. I'm just sure why. As soon as I heard the specifics, I figured the Saints and Payton would just sign a new contract with the exact monetary details. Am I wrong to think that?
They did throw out that he has Dallas roots and there might be an opening there soon.

bucfan12 11-04-2012 09:15 AM

No way does Sean Payton leave New Orleans. Not a chance. ESPN does there job in speculating, but it's not going to happen.

I didn't read the specifics, but my guess: How can you be negotiating a contract when you're suspended?

Smooth Criminal 11-04-2012 09:50 AM

That'd be insane to see him leave New Orleans.

FUNBUNCHER 11-04-2012 10:47 AM

The NFL owners are FOS.
You can't tell me that more than a few owners are hoping Payton bails on the Saints and screws that franchise even more.

These guys run the NFL like the mafia.

PackerLegend 11-04-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nalej (Post 3172404)
They're making a big deal out of this on ESPNRadio. I'm just sure why. As soon as I heard the specifics, I figured the Saints and Payton would just sign a new contract with the exact monetary details. Am I wrong to think that?
They did throw out that he has Dallas roots and there might be an opening there soon.

This was my thoughts exactly. I don't think the Saints view gin as an evil person and he helped them win a SB. So I'm assuming he will be back.

King Carls 5 Year Plan 11-04-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3172415)
I didn't read the specifics, but my guess: How can you be negotiating a contract when you're suspended?

i think that is the point. i dont believe he can negotiate while he is suspended. that makes him a FA at the end of the year. all of the sudden there could be a bidding war for him. he would be stupid not to listen to the offers and at least get the most out of the Saints. there is sure to be ALOT of HC openings and he would be near the top of everyone of them. at minimum he will field the offers and make the decision that is best for him and his family. that does not necessarily mean being back in NO.

bucfan12 11-04-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan (Post 3172468)
i think that is the point. i dont believe he can negotiate while he is suspended. that makes him a FA at the end of the year. all of the sudden there could be a bidding war for him. he would be stupid not to listen to the offers and at least get the most out of the Saints. there is sure to be ALOT of HC openings and he would be near the top of everyone of them. at minimum he will field the offers and make the decision that is best for him and his family. that does not necessarily mean being back in NO.

The saints are 2-5 with out him. They'd be crazy not to open up the check book and match any offer.

Smooth Criminal 11-04-2012 11:07 AM

I'd guess he ultimately end up staying in NO but when Jerry Jones wants to offer you money you have to listen. He could easily make him the highest paid coach ever.

bucfan12 11-04-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 3172485)
I'd guess he ultimately end up staying in NO but when Jerry Jones wants to offer you money you have to listen. He could easily make him the highest paid coach ever.

Honestly, I think Jerry Jones is a huge problem in Dallas and still hasn't realized it. I wouldn't want to coach that mess right now.

He's got it made in New Orleans, Payton does. Why would he want to leave that?

Shane P. Hallam 11-04-2012 11:39 AM

He'll stay in NO. I honestly feel this is a non-story.

TitanHope 11-04-2012 11:49 AM

The Dallas fanbase is a good one to pander to.

He could get more money from NO out of this, if not only because he may ask for more if this Loomis clause isn't allowed to be a part of this.

bucfan12 11-04-2012 11:58 AM

Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, basically told all ESPN media hooligans, that there's no chance Payton leaves New Orleans. He'll just re-sign in the off-season.

Brent 11-04-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3172531)
He'll stay in NO. I honestly feel this is a non-story.

Of course it's a non-story, but ESPN has 24 hours of broadcasting to fill!

LonghornsLegend 11-04-2012 12:11 PM

I know that some people would move and not think twice but IMO it would be kind of a dick move to leave if he did choose to do so. I highly doubt he does anyway.