Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Is Ricky Williams Back? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5441)

Maddenhero 04-01-2007 11:21 AM

Is Ricky Williams Back?

"Ricky is in the best shape of his life," Steinberg said. "He's passed all of his drug tests and he's at a place where he's ready to come back to the Dolphins."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2820270

I'm happy for Ricky.

JT Jag 04-01-2007 11:23 AM

I give him 4 months.

UKfan 04-01-2007 11:29 AM

Is this an April Fools?!

Sveen 04-01-2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Assuring his desire to return to the Dolphins, running back Ricky Williams has prepared a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell requesting reinstatement back into the league, his agent said Saturday.
Source: Miami Herald

draftguru151 04-01-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKfan (Post 265760)
Is this an April Fools?!

Why would it be an April fools joke?

It's been known for a while that he wanted to come back, and I'm pretty sure he still owes the organization money. I see no reason why he doesn't get reinstated since he has done very well since being suspended, and his last failed test wasn't even for marijuana.

Vikes99ej 04-01-2007 12:55 PM

I think Ricky Williams would be a huge boost for the Fins. I've always thought that there should be a good running back in Miami to spell Ronnie Brown, since he played his entire career in the 2 back system.

etk 04-01-2007 01:06 PM

We could use Ricky if he doesn't return to Miami....

princefielder28 04-01-2007 03:25 PM

Good to see he passed his drug test

doingthisinsteadofwork 04-01-2007 03:43 PM

He'll be nothing but a backup sadly.waste of talent.

Chucky 04-01-2007 04:27 PM

He was garbage in the CFL, he wasnt even the best back, i thought he would be huge with the argos, but he just sucked, I dont no why people think he will do better with th phins

Shahin 04-01-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 266387)
He was garbage in the CFL, he wasnt even the best back, i thought he would be huge with the argos, but he just sucked, I dont no why people think he will do better with th phins

He's already proven he can be a premier back in the NFL. The CFL different in many ways, and he had less than a season to get accustomed to the teams system. I think we all know he's not going to come back and be a feature back for the Phins or any other team, but he'd be a hell of a #2 for any team in the league.

frogstomp 04-01-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 266387)

Um... you have no idea of what the CFL is like. A Westbrook type player would be the best CFL player ever, where "pounders", or backs that need more carries, will obviously do poorly...

The CFL is not about the running game.

Moses 04-01-2007 05:10 PM

I think Ricky Williams gets a bad rep from a lot of people that is undeserved. What "negative" things has he done really?

255979119 04-01-2007 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 266485)
I think Ricky Williams gets a bad rep from a lot of people that is undeserved. What "negative" things has he done really?

Failed drug tests, backed out on his team mates.

Moses 04-01-2007 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 255979119 (Post 266546)
Failed drug tests, backed out on his team mates.

He failed drug tests, yes. From what I know, he failed due to marijuana. Personally, that's not a big deal to me but I can see where the league is coming from. This is really the only thing I see as a negative for Ricky.

Backed out on his teammates? He has no obligation to play in the NFL. If he wants to retire from football, that's his decision and nobody should be able to tell him otherwise.

draftguru151 04-01-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 266553)
He failed drug tests, yes. From what I know, he failed due to marijuana. Personally, that's not a big deal to me but I can see where the league is coming from. This is really the only thing I see as a negative for Ricky.

Backed out on his teammates? He has no obligation to play in the NFL. If he wants to retire from football, that's his decision and nobody should be able to tell him otherwise.

The only problem I had was when he retired. He is a grown man, he has the right to do whatever he wants, but he did it a few weeks before TC, which led to the teams 4-12 record.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 04-01-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 266585)
The only problem I had was when he retired. He is a grown man, he has the right to do whatever he wants, but he did it a few weeks before TC, which led to the teams 4-12 record.

I think retiring then was a dick move. If he was gonna retire, he should have done so right after the season so the team could secure a replacement in FA or the draft.

255979119 04-01-2007 05:58 PM

He is a very "deep" and interesting person. I'll give him that.

Geo 04-01-2007 06:02 PM

2002 Ricky Williams is up there with any other RB in history imo. He was such a man-beast.

Given the choice, I'd like to see him back in the league and playing with Ronnie Brown.

fenikz 04-01-2007 06:03 PM

you cant judge ricky williams, none of us really knows what happened between him and the dolphins organization that led to his retirement in the 1st place, i really doubt he would of returned if the dolphins weren't suing the hell out of him

OhioState 04-01-2007 06:07 PM

I think the Phins should write him off. He has done nothing over his career but that can be considered beneficial to the team. Good character guys are becoming important in the NFL and Ricky is just not one.

eacantdraft 04-01-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioState (Post 266632)
I think the Phins should write him off. He has done nothing over his career but that can be considered beneficial to the team. Good character guys are becoming important in the NFL and Ricky is just not one.

Has Ricky Williams ever been accused of a violent crime? I don't think so. He is a guy who has many other interests besides football and is someone who has troubles expressing himself. I think he was trying to find himself. There are far worst character problems in the NFL than Ricky Williams.

Jim Jim 04-01-2007 06:30 PM

The Jim Morrison of the NFL, no doubt.

Moses 04-01-2007 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 266585)

He is a grown man. That's why he can make his own decisions. He had every right to retire when he did. People give Ricky a bad rap because he smokes marijuana and is shy. There are far worse people in the NFL.

Moses 04-01-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioState (Post 266632)

Are you serious? He was the workhorse of the Dolphins for a few seasons. Without him the offense was lost. Easily one of the best runningbacks in the league when in his prime.