Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tony Romo: Would you Re-Sign him? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54415)

BeerBaron 11-06-2012 10:35 PM

Tony Romo: Would you Re-Sign him?
 
The 2012 season ends and Jerry Jones shocks everyone by firing himself as GM, and has hired you for the job.

The first big decision you have to make is whether or not to extend Tony Romo, who will be in the final year of his contract in 2013.

Since taking over as starter in in 2006, he has easily been in the top third, if not top quarter, of QBs in the league statistically.

He'll also be 33, making $11.5 million in the final year of his contract, and will be coming off of what can definitely be considered a down season in 2012.

So the decision is left in your hands. Do you extend Tony Romo? Do you let him play out 2013 with no extension while prepared to use the franchise tag if need be? Do you let him walk and, if so, how do you replace him?

Me personally, I let him play out 2013 with no extension. If he has a great season, I go in fully prepared to use the franchise tag. It's hellishly expensive for QBs, but it's better than a big extension with guaranteed money and him entering his mid-30s (a period where dramatic drop off usually begins for QBs.)

Meanwhile, I start preparing for life after Romo. It's unlikely the Cowboys will be picking high enough for one of the elite QBs in this year's draft, I would definitely jump on anyone taking a Rodgers-like fall. I'd also keep an eye on the 2nd/3rd round types who might need a little development as possible replacements after Romo as well.

So what do you do?

Mufasa 11-06-2012 10:39 PM

I think you answered your own question perfectly. That's exactly what I would do as well.

bucfan12 11-06-2012 10:44 PM

No. Honestly, I look to draft a QB in the first 3 rounds, to be honest. Someone like Tyler Wilson, Mike Glennon, Zach Dysert. Romo has another year left. He's 33 years old. Let him play next year, and the young guy sit and learn the ropes. If Romo puts up a great year, there is always the Franchise Tag for 1 year, then let him walk.

Basically, you have a 1-2 year plan with him, then have the young guy take over. Romo still gives the Cowboys the best chance to win right now. Taking a rookie next year and starting him day 1 means they won't be a contender, when they have the supporting cast and team to do so right now.

SickwithIt1010 11-06-2012 10:45 PM

I am with you.

Not sure what I would do with him, I think he will command too much money for my liking.

jrdrylie 11-06-2012 10:47 PM

I think a bigger issue than Romo is Jason Garrett. I would fire him at the end of this season. I would then sign Romo to a one-year extension for an extra $16-20 million (or about whatever the franchise number is). This is essentially the same as franchising him after 2013 but reduces the chances of a holdout because he is geting some upfront money. After 2014, he will have two years under the new coach. If his issues continue, he's gone.

Rosebud 11-06-2012 10:54 PM

What choice do you really have? Is there an Oakland out there who you can sucker into giving you a first round pick for your 30+ year old QB? You're just not going to get enough in a trade for him to move up in the draft for a franchise guy. So I hold onto him for at least one more year, and if a new coach can fix some of Dallas ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, you work out an extension. Cause if they stop ******* themselves, keep the D together and can keep working on that OL, that team can compete.

ph90702 11-06-2012 10:57 PM

The Cowboys need to rebuild. The talent level has plummeted since Bill Parcells has left. They need as many draft picks as possible, and they need somebody other than Jerry Jones making the picks. I doubt they can do better than Romo in the short-term, but why pay a guy $10+ million if they're not in contention for a Super Bowl?

BeerBaron 11-06-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3175744)
I think a bigger issue than Romo is Jason Garrett. I would fire him at the end of this season. I would then sign Romo to a one-year extension for an extra $16-20 million (or about whatever the franchise number is). This is essentially the same as franchising him after 2013 but reduces the chances of a holdout because he is geting some upfront money. After 2014, he will have two years under the new coach. If his issues continue, he's gone.

I'd be surprised if his agent actually accepted a one year extension like that. They'd prefer either a longer term arrangement or hitting the open market to see what types of offers he gets there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 3175749)
What choice do you really have? Is there an Oakland out there who you can sucker into giving you a first round pick for your 30+ year old QB? You're just not going to get enough in a trade for him to move up in the draft for a franchise guy. So I hold onto him for at least one more year, and if a new coach can fix some of Dallas ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, you work out an extension. Cause if they stop ******* themselves, keep the D together and can keep working on that OL, that team can compete.

My problem is that he's 33. Someone, WHC I think, posted a breakdown of a QBs average stats as he increases in age (which I wish I would have saved for arguments like this.) The prime of a QBs career in which he is most productive seems to be between 27-33. After that, the drop off is sharp.

I really wouldn't want to be dealing with Romo beyond 2014.

BeerBaron 11-06-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph90702 (Post 3175752)
The Cowboys need to rebuild. The talent level has plummeted since Bill Parcells has left. They need as many draft picks as possible, and they need somebody other than Jerry Jones making the picks. I doubt they can do better than Romo in the short-term, but why pay a guy $10+ million if they're not in contention for a Super Bowl?

There are absolutely spots of nice talent on that team, much of it added after Parcells left, they just don't fit together well. Tyron Smith is 21 and is only going to get better as he matures. He'll be a great blind site protector headed forward. Sean Lee and Bruce Carter looks like a great young pair of ILBs. Claiborne and Carr should be a great set of corners. And of course, they'll have DeMarcus Ware for a few years yet.

Ness 11-06-2012 11:13 PM

Depends how he plays in his last season. I don't think Romo has been near the top of the list of problems wrong with the Cowboys organization. That team needs a better defense, offensive line, head coach, and running game first and foremost. And unless you have someone better, then I'm not sure what would be a better alternative. Good free agent quarterbacks never hit the market. That leaves the only other option to draft a rookie quarterback. Not saying a rookie quarterback couldn't be an upgrade, but it's going to take time. If Romo isn't going to command a mega deal, I'd resign him.

Rosebud 11-06-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3175754)
I'd be surprised if his agent actually accepted a one year extension like that. They'd prefer either a longer term arrangement or hitting the open market to see what types of offers he gets there.



My problem is that he's 33. Someone, WHC I think, posted a breakdown of a QBs average stats as he increases in age (which I wish I would have saved for arguments like this.) The prime of a QBs career in which he is most productive seems to be between 27-33. After that, the drop off is sharp.

I really wouldn't want to be dealing with Romo beyond 2014.

If Romo falls off a cliff, then you've got a much easier time trading up for a franchise guy. Meanwhile you try and squeeze a playoff run out of all that talent.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 11-06-2012 11:15 PM

Father time is ticking away at Romo. Could this be an Aaron Rodgers type situation? If they are picking in the top half of the draft this year they definitely can land one of the better QB prospects.

Brown Leader 11-06-2012 11:16 PM

He's underrated. I would resign him-4yrs. Trade Dez Bryant for a 2nd or cond. 3rd. Sign Greg Jennings. Go BDPA in the first round-then take hope to get a blue chip OL and WR. Demand the run to pass ratio improves for the former in 13.

bucfan12 11-06-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph90702 (Post 3175752)
The Cowboys need to rebuild. The talent level has plummeted since Bill Parcells has left. They need as many draft picks as possible, and they need somebody other than Jerry Jones making the picks. I doubt they can do better than Romo in the short-term, but why pay a guy $10+ million if they're not in contention for a Super Bowl?

You are clueless. Where has the talent level plummeted?

The defense they have is pretty stout if you ask me. In the secondary, you have Carr/Claiborne/Scandrick. 3 very good CBs. I don't include Mike Jenkins because he'll probably walk. They could use help at Safety, yes.

They have Lee, Carter, Connor, Ware, and Spencer. I think they're pretty good at LB. Ratliff anchoring the line.

Offensively, they have a franchise LT. The Line isn't terrible (you want to see Terrible? Watch Philadelphia). 2 good Backs in Murray and decent scat back in Jones. Pro Bowl TE. And probably a top 12 WR duo. Even though Dez needs to get his head on straight, he's pretty darn good.

Every team has holes, but I think they have a good core to continue to build around. Romo just doesn't perform when they need him too. I'm still up in the air on Jason Garrett.

Ness 11-06-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3175754)
My problem is that he's 33. Someone, WHC I think, posted a breakdown of a QBs average stats as he increases in age (which I wish I would have saved for arguments like this.) The prime of a QBs career in which he is most productive seems to be between 27-33. After that, the drop off is sharp.

I really wouldn't want to be dealing with Romo beyond 2014.

Right, but everyone situation is different. I wouldn't go by an average like that. If Romo is playing at a decent level at that age, I wouldn't see a reason to not keep going. Steve Young, Warren Moon, and Brett Favre played pretty well into their late thirties. Romo also became a starter at 26. This is what, his 7th year I think as a starter? I wouldn't be too concerned about 33 honestly unless injuries start to pile up.

Ness 11-06-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3175778)
You are clueless. Where has the talent level plummeted?

The defense they have is pretty stout if you ask me. In the secondary, you have Carr/Claiborne/Scandrick. 3 very good CBs. I don't include Mike Jenkins because he'll probably walk. They could use help at Safety, yes.

They have Lee, Carter, Connor, Ware, and Spencer. I think they're pretty good at LB. Ratliff anchoring the line.

But other than just names on paper what have they done? The last time they had a defense that finished better than 15th in points allowed was 2009. The defense isn't that intimidating, or rather, they don't make huge plays when they need to a lot of the time.

BeerBaron 11-06-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3175779)
Right, but everyone situation is different. I wouldn't go by an average like that. If Romo is playing at a decent level at that age, I wouldn't see a reason to not keep going. Steve Young, Warren Moon, and Brett Favre played pretty well into their late thirties. Romo also became a starter at 26. This is what, his 7th year I think as a starter? I wouldn't be too concerned about 33 honestly unless injuries start to pile up.

One of the things that tends to go as a QB ages (not counting any body parts that are directly injured) is arm strength. The guys who have played into their late 30s with success are guys who started off with arm strength to spare, like Favre, Marino and Elway.

Does Romo have that kind of arm strength to spare or is he going to be losing zip and floating passses in 2-3 years?

Menardo75 11-06-2012 11:30 PM

Romo would be fine if the offense wasn't run through him. The focus should be on rebuilding the offensive line and running attack that the team can rely on. Also getting at least one competent safety wouldn't hurt, since they haven't had one since Darren Woodson.

keylime_5 11-06-2012 11:32 PM

I extend him. It's hard as **** to find a good starting QB in the NFL. It may be time to find a future replacement for Romo, but he's the guy you gotta keep around until you find one.

Ness 11-06-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 3175784)
One of the things that tends to go as a QB ages (not counting any body parts that are directly injured) is arm strength. The guys who have played into their late 30s with success are guys who started off with arm strength to spare, like Favre, Marino and Elway.

Does Romo have that kind of arm strength to spare or is he going to be losing zip and floating passses in 2-3 years?

Good question. I think his arm strength is adequate. If I have to put my money on it I don't think it will be an issue though. I'm sure a good amount of it probably has to do with genetics too. Joe Montana's arm wasn't strong to begin with, but it maintained it's velocity up until retired at 37. Maybe it fades, maybe it doesn't.

bucfan12 11-06-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3175783)
But other than just names on paper what have they done? The last time they had a defense that finished better than 15th in points allowed was 2009. The defense isn't that intimidating, or rather, they don't make huge plays when they need to a lot of the time.

Hm, I think you mean their QB doesn't make huge plays when they need him too.

This is an offensive/scoring league these days, especially how the rules favor it, but I won't get into that.

There defense is good enough or even better in terms of Super Bowl Caliber. Take Sunday night on the road for example. They slowed down Atlanta. It's too bad Romo is just a choke in big games, and has been all season, minus week 1.

Ness 11-06-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3175802)
Hm, I think you mean their QB doesn't make huge plays when they need him too.

This is an offensive/scoring league these days, especially how the rules favor it, but I won't get into that.

There defense is good enough or even better in terms of Super Bowl Caliber. Take Sunday night on the road for example. They slowed down Atlanta. It's too bad Romo is just a choke in big games, and has been all season, minus week 1.

The Cowboys defense is Super Bowl caliber? You're kidding me right?

Oh and yes Romo screws up sometimes, but his upside far outweighs the mistakes he commits. By the way when is the last time the Cowboys had a good running game to take pressure off the quarterback? Emmit Smith? Murray is hurt and Felix Jones is average at best.

As for Atlanta, I'd say it was more Atlanta not doing things right. The Cowboys had their chances to stop them when it really mattered on defense and they failed miserably three times on the Falcons final drive. Ask Scandrick.

dan77733 11-07-2012 12:13 AM

What I would do in regards to Romo would depend on where the team is in the draft. Top five pick, I go all out for Barkley. Romo would then either start 2013 while Barkley has a year to learn the offense or Barkley would start if I could acquire at least a 2nd rounder for Romo. 2nd rounder may be cheap but at his age, contract status (salary and years remaining) and the fact that the Cowboys will need a franchise QB eventually anyway, I ship him to the highest bidder. I can definitely see a veteran team like the Jets or a team like the Chiefs trading away a 2nd rounder for him.

However, before any of that happens, I would demote Garrett back to the OC since he's one of those guys who sucks as an HC but is damn good as an OC. If he doesnt want to accept that, I say goodbye to him and look for an OC who'll either A) fit in with Romo and the offense he's used to or B) fit in with Barkley so his transition to the NFL would be easier.

Regardless of what happens with Garrett, I would go all out for Bill Cowher. Having a tough ass HC like him is EXACTLY what the Cowboys need the most. He'll get Bryant in line, he'll get Rob Ryan to shut the hell up and just do his job. Those three things alone would make the Cowboys a better team.

Those would be my primary objectives with fixing the interior of the OL my secondary objective.

bearfan 11-07-2012 12:16 AM

Despite Tony choking, he is still a better QB than most in the league. I know stats don't tell the entire story, but the guy puts up some stats year in and year out. Makes me think that the team isn't a complete one.

I'd personally keep him, but draft someone to sit behind him.

D-Unit 11-07-2012 02:54 AM

Interesting thread.

What I would do is different from what I predict, but with me in charge, I:

- Wait on extending Romo. I use the Franchise Tag. Even if he would sign a cheap contract, I would put off on it just because he needs a fire lit under his ass. I've been saying for a long time that has been too comfortable in his seat. Romo is a competitor and the last time we saw real fire in his eyes was when he was unseating Bledsoe from the job as a starter. Since that day, there hasn't been another #2 QB or developing QB that has made Romo's seat uncomfortable. He doesn't care about making mistakes or working hard because there's no real threat to his job.

- Fire Jason Garrett as HC. I definitely don't predict this happening, but I would surely do it. Garrett and Romo don't see eye to eye enough. They are often at odds at what to do. Garrett is a conservative playcaller and Romo is a gunslinger. Wonder why we're often late to get the snap off in between plays? Wonder why Romo is always calling "Kill, Kill" to the plays Garrett is calling in from the sidelines? Wonder why when we are in the no huddle offense, Romo has the offense buzzin'? Get Garrett out of his ear and Romo knows how to move this offense.

...and relieving Garrett as playcaller isn't enough. While I applaud his "straight arrow" ways, his words don't follow through. He talks about accountability, but the Cowboys continue to be heavily penalized week to week, and players are not held accountable for mistakes they make. Offensive player growth has been stagnant or declining. A direct result of poor coaching/development. He's been OC for the last 6 years but you wouldn't know it. His playbook is shallow and predictable considering how long he's been here. His robotic answers in the media are a reflection of the way he speaks to the team. Uninspiring, hardly respectable, and too calculated. Surely, he's a smart guy. Not denying that. But I think for the same reasons why he never became a successful NFL QB, it's the same reasons why he's not a good OC... in that he lacks that "it" factor. He lacks the ability to think quick in the moment.


The Cowboys can win with Romo and they don't need to rush to get a QB. Murray being injured has really hurt this team and Tony has taken a ton of blame. He's frustrated me to no end, but I can't say that changing him immediately is good for the Cowboys. Getting our run game back would do wonders though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.