Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   College Gameday Thread: Week 13 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54559)

draftguru151 11-19-2012 08:58 AM

College Gameday Thread: Week 13

Tuesday night:
Akron vs Toledo (ESPN2)

Thursday night:
TCU vs #16 Texas (ESPN)

Friday early:
Ohio vs #23 Kent State (ESPNU)
Syracuse vs Temple (ESPN2)
#14 Nebraska vs Iowa (ESPN)

Friday afternoon:
#7 LSU vs Arkansas (CBS)
Utah vs Colorado (FX)
#25 Washington vs Washington State (FOX)
West Virginia vs Iowa State (ABC)

Friday night:
South Florida vs Cincinnati (ESPN)
Arizona State vs #24 Arizona (ESPN)

Saturday noon:
#19 Michigan vs Ohio State (ABC)
Georgia Tech vs #3 Georgia (ESPN)
#18 Rutgers vs Pittsburgh (ESPN2)
Virginia vs Virginia Tech (ESPNU)
Tulsa vs SMU (FX)
Kentucky vs Tennessee (SECN)

Saturday afternoon:
Baylor vs Texas Tech (FOX)
Auburn vs #2 Alabama (CBS)
#4 Florida vs #10 Florida State (ABC)
#21 Oklahoma State vs #13 Oklahoma (ESPN)
Wisconsin vs Penn State (ESPN2)
Vanderbilt vs Wake Forest (ESPNU)

Saturday night:
#8 Stanford vs #17 UCLA (FOX)
#12 South Carolina vs #11 Clemson (ESPN)
Missouri vs #9 Texas A&M (ESPN2)
Mississippi State vs Ole Miss (ESPNU)
#1 Notre Dame vs USC (ABC)
La Tech vs San Jose State (ESPN2)

MassNole 11-19-2012 09:32 AM

Can't wait for a third straight state title.

Giantsfan1080 11-19-2012 10:02 AM

2 more games and we go to our first BCS!!! I can't wait since there's a small chance we can clinch it this week.

TheRubberDuck45 11-19-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3186154)
Can't wait for a third straight state title.

Can't wait for a 4th straight national title for the state.

JRTPlaya21 11-19-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRubberDuck45 (Post 3186181)
Can't wait for a 4th straight national title for the state.

Let's take it a game at a time starting with this weekends baptism of the Barn.

BuckeyeDan17 11-19-2012 11:49 AM

Devin Gardner has been legit. I haz a nervous.

Cant ******* wait. Road to nowhere baby!

RufusMcDaniel 11-19-2012 12:47 PM

Lets go Iowa!

JoeJoeBrown 11-19-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeDan17 (Post 3186276)
Devin Gardner has been legit. I haz a nervous.

Cant ******* wait. Road to nowhere baby!

Yep. THis will be awesome.

soybean 11-19-2012 02:33 PM

well, not exactly the best scenario for the first start for Wittek.

I can imagine heavy run packages, screens and slants to Marqise Lee

But anyways:

SolidGold 11-19-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soybean (Post 3186446)
well, not exactly the best scenario for the first start for Wittek.

I can imagine heavy run packages, screens and slants to Marqise Lee

But anyways:

HAHA that was a pretty cool story. Maybe they can pull the upset.

49erNation85 11-19-2012 05:01 PM

A slight chance Florida still plays for the tittle game if ND loses. Is there a miracle ?Also Florida has to beat FSU as well . On a plus note , Driskel is back to practice this week and I hope he starts!!Is it Sat yet ?

jrdrylie 11-20-2012 10:19 AM

This isn't really a discussion for this week, but it will be interesting to see what happens with Gunner Kiel at Notre Dame. He was the top QB in his recruiting class so I doubt he sits around for three years waiting for Golson to graduate. Where might he transfer? Possibly to Indiana?

wicket 11-20-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3187519)
This isn't really a discussion for this week, but it will be interesting to see what happens with Gunner Kiel at Notre Dame. He was the top QB in his recruiting class so I doubt he sits around for three years waiting for Golson to graduate. Where might he transfer? Possibly to Indiana?

lsu would be funny

SolidGold 11-20-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3187519)

That is a pretty interesting sidenote. I think Golson is pretty much a game manager type QB and Kiel has potential as the kind of QB that can really elevate that offense. Wasn't he originally supposed to end up at Indiana?

MassNole 11-20-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3187747)
That is a pretty interesting sidenote. I think Golson is pretty much a game manager type QB and Kiel has potential as the kind of QB that can really elevate that offense. Wasn't he originally supposed to end up at Indiana?

His recruitment and the way he handled it rivaled Willie Williams or Fred Rouse. He committed to IU, seemingly out of family guilt, decommitted, committed to LSU and was supposed to enroll early, never showed up and finally enrolled at Notre Dame last minute. Add to that he was one of the most overrated prospects in a long time, at camps he looked decent, but well behind other QBs and his HS stats given the level of competition left a lot to be desired.

jrdrylie 11-20-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3187750)
His recruitment and the way he handled it rivaled Willie Williams or Fred Rouse. He committed to IU, seemingly out of family guilt, decommitted, committed to LSU and was supposed to enroll early, never showed up and finally enrolled at Notre Dame last minute. Add to that he was one of the most overrated prospects in a long time, at camps he looked decent, but well behind other QBs and his HS stats given the level of competition left a lot to be desired.

******* Fred Rouse. I met that guy at the first ACC Championship Game. I had such high hopes for him and he just flushed it down the toilet.

Also, Jeff Tedford got fired. Not really surprising. In the last six years, he's 39-37 and hasn't finished higher than 4th in the conference.

wicket 11-20-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3187747)
I think Golson is pretty much a game manager type QB

Im very curious to your reasoning behind this statement because i think its about as far from the truth as possible

SolidGold 11-21-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 3187825)
Im very curious to your reasoning behind this statement because i think its about as far from the truth as possible

Hmm well ND is certainly not a dynamic offense - Golson has been pulled in favor of Tommy Rees in critical times of games a couple times this year. ND is at 11-0 because Golson has limited turnovers and mistakes. Mistake free football, good defense and some luck are why ND is 11-0. Golson is a game manager type QB.

draftguru151 11-21-2012 09:27 AM

He's also a redshirt freshman.

49erNation85 11-21-2012 11:33 AM

USC better win dam it. Anythng could happen

SolidGold 11-21-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 3188255)
He's also a redshirt freshman.

So is Johnny Football but that doesn't seem to be slowing him down.

draftguru151 11-21-2012 01:09 PM

I believe they call that an outlier.

SolidGold 11-21-2012 01:39 PM

Mannion, Brett Smith and Bridgewater both played well as true freshman. Mariota is playing well as a true freshman. Hundley is playing well as a RS Freshman. These are all guys who are catalysts for the offense.

Golson is a nice game manager type player. He is efficient but not the focal point of the offense.

draftguru151 11-21-2012 02:40 PM

At this point I agree he isn't the focus of the offense, but saying he's a game manager type going forward doesn't really make much sense to me. He's obviously not on the level of those guys ATM, but he's a really good athlete with a great arm and some upside. I really liked Kiel coming out, but Golson could be a great player in that offense in the future.

wicket 11-21-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3188147)
Hmm well ND is certainly not a dynamic offense - Golson has been pulled in favor of Tommy Rees in critical times of games a couple times this year. ND is at 11-0 because Golson has limited turnovers and mistakes. Mistake free football, good defense and some luck are why ND is 11-0. Golson is a game manager type QB.

that the staff has been holding Golson back doesnt mean he is a game manager in skillset. Also calling ND "not a dynamic offense" is flat out wrong. Its not played aggresively outside of the fourth quarter against pitt because it didnt have to but its build to attack you in a ton of different ways. Basically what im trying to say is that I disagree with about everything youve posted on the subject, Golson is a playmaker thats just been held back in an attempt to mature without hurting the team too much.