Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Who is the current DROTY? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54768)

Caulibflower 12-03-2012 12:20 AM

Who is the current DROTY?

Couldn't find a thread for this, and it seems like there ought to be one.

Homer pick: Bobby Wagner.

BucSquad 12-03-2012 12:39 AM

Lavonte David.

The voting should be close though.

descendency 12-03-2012 12:42 AM

It would have been Chandler Jones (because he plays in NE and because he's beasting) but he's missed two games and Dont'a Hightower hasn't played that good. (very good, but his tackle numbers aren't great).

If I were to guess, I would guess whatever rookie leads in tackles (probably a LB)

Vox Populi 12-03-2012 12:57 AM

Janoris Jenkins. 3 Touchdowns. No other rookie defender has made as many impact plays. He was also tied for 6th in the league in pass deflections (with 4 other players) before today (stats haven't updated for everyone else). I can't justify giving it to a linebacker who makes a bunch of tackles unless they pepper in some other impact plays. Bobby Wagner is the only guy who might fit that description, Kuechly and David don't 12 games into the season and their team's defenses aren't that great. I won't buy the argument that David contributes to the best run defense in the league when the Bucs are the worst team in the league against the pass. Its like the opposite of when the Raiders or Bills had a great pass defense because every team could just run for 200 yards against them.

Bucs147 12-03-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vox Populi (Post 3199426)
I won't buy the argument that David contributes to the best run defense in the league when the Bucs are the worst team in the league against the pass. Its like the opposite of when the Raiders or Bills had a great pass defense because every team could just run for 200 yards against them.

That argument would be valid if the Bucs didn't lead the league for TFLs and for average given yards per runs.

DeadEagle 12-03-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucs147 (Post 3199553)
That argument would be valid if the Bucs didn't lead the league for TFLs and for average given yards per runs.

.... and if Lavonte David wasn't 3rd in the league in TFL's.

indyfan1985 12-03-2012 09:37 AM

ILB Jerrell Freeman could make a case. He has been in the CFL and the Colts signed him this year so he could be considered a rookie. He already has over 100 tackles and a couple of sacks and an int for a TD.

vidae 12-03-2012 09:58 AM

Luke Kuechly is like third in the NFL in tackles or something. Maybe him.

AntoinCD 12-03-2012 10:04 AM

No defensive rookie has really stood out this year. Casey Hayward probably has the best shot IMO

cmarq83 12-03-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3199619)
No defensive rookie has really stood out this year. Casey Hayward probably has the best shot IMO

I agree. I think there were probably 3-4 guys last year who would have made it over anyone in this class. There really were no exceptional defensive prospects in this draft besides Kuechly and Claiborne.

Vox Populi 12-03-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucs147 (Post 3199553)

Hes also a contributing factor to the worst pass defense in the league. No one wins awards for stopping the run.

Lil Quip 12-04-2012 01:17 AM

I will admit the Chandler Jones injury really mad this a relatively ho hum race.

If he comes back in due time and picks up four more sacks and maybe another FF, I see him winning.

armageddon 12-04-2012 04:54 PM

It's hard for a run stuffing DT to make the headlines, but Brockers is one hell of a player. He recently dominated the 49ers interior o-line

Miaoww 12-04-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3199619)

You obviously haven't been watching Luke Kuechly then.

Comfortably ahead of the rest.

armageddon 12-04-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miaoww (Post 3201015)

Hasn't been watching Jenoris Jenkins or Brockers either. They have stood out big time. They are both future pro bowlers

Miaoww 12-04-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armageddon (Post 3201073)
Hasn't been watching Jenoris Jenkins or Brockers either. They have stood out big time. They are both future pro bowlers

I saw Jenkins live in London, he was abused.

brat316 12-04-2012 10:19 PM

Jenoris Jenkins should be taking the cake and walking it in for 6.

armageddon 12-04-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miaoww (Post 3201015)

[quote=Miaoww;3201346]I saw Jenkins live in London, he was abused.[/QUOTE

I saw Drew Brees throw 5 INT's. Jenoris has been great most of the season. His only down fall is, he likes to gamble. It costs him on occasion. He's a rook, he will learn. But man, the dude is an athletic freak.

gpngc 12-04-2012 11:21 PM

I'm rooting for Kuechly so I may be biased.

1) Luke Kuechly
2) Bobby Wagner
3) Janoris Jenkins
4) Casey Hayward
5) Chandler Jones

K Train 12-05-2012 10:50 AM

id be torn between kuechly (who wasnt on the line for this, taking the field would have been an awesome bet) and jenkins (who i dont think was on that either)

originally i picked kuechly though

y.f.s. 12-05-2012 11:32 AM

It's between Lavonte and Janoris for me. Surprise surprise I had them both ranked as top 10 players in this last draft (Janoris I actually had as the 3rd overall prospect.)

Shane P. Hallam 12-05-2012 11:53 AM

Some of the preseason odds if people are interested:
http://www.profootballaddicts.com/31...e-of-the-year/

Nalej 12-05-2012 12:40 PM

If C. Jones comes back in time to play against Houston and SF and he plays well then I can see him winning it. If not...

AntoinCD 12-05-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y.f.s. (Post 3201785)
It's between Lavonte and Janoris for me. Surprise surprise I had them both ranked as top 10 players in this last draft (Janoris I actually had as the 3rd overall prospect.)

Janoris' season has been so up and down. He's had some great plays (TOs etc) but there have been a lot of times he has been beaten like a mule. Brandon Lloyd took him to school in London. I suppose it is a very rookie-esque season, however a lot of his good plays have kinda been right place, right time deals, whereas his bad moments have been baddddddd

y.f.s. 12-05-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3201828)
Janoris' season has been so up and down. He's had some great plays (TOs etc) but there have been a lot of times he has been beaten like a mule. Brandon Lloyd took him to school in London. I suppose it is a very rookie-esque season, however a lot of his good plays have kinda been right place, right time deals, whereas his bad moments have been baddddddd

Very true, and he did go through a stretch during the middle of the season where he had totally lacked confidence.

The thing with a corner is that when they have bad moments, it's exposed in isolation, and the results are huge plays. It's harder to tell when a linebacker mis-fits vs the run or blitzes the wrong gap (and the results usually arent as devastating).