Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Why Is Nobody Talking About Zac Dysert? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54806)

DraftSwag 12-06-2012 08:30 PM

Why Is Nobody Talking About Zac Dysert?
 
Just wanted to find out your thoughts on this guy. Talked to some people and they said he is a sure fire early round pick. Saw you guys talking about a few big school guys, but failed to mention him. Apparently the guy is a stud and teams are drooling over him. Any thoughts?

Scott Wright 12-06-2012 08:40 PM

I've been talking about Dysert since the summer and he's been on my "Underrated" list all year.

My guess is Dysert doesn't get a lot of ink because he plays in the MAC.

DraftSwag 12-06-2012 08:50 PM

I got to watch him play against Ohio State and he played really well. Apparently he's considered a 2nd round talent. Interested to see what happens with his stock as the process moves along.

Brown Leader 12-07-2012 08:11 AM

It's the hair.

EDIT - was....http://www.muredhawks.com/ViewArticl...CLID=205820249

AntoinCD 12-07-2012 08:13 AM

I've only seen bits and pieces of Dysert and he looks like he has the tools. Y.F.S is the guy to ask about Dysert

descendency 12-07-2012 08:33 AM

Because no one watches MAC games.

DraftSwag 12-07-2012 09:52 AM

The MAC was a solid conference this year. Kind of baffles me to see the Mountain West get so much love, but the MAC never really gets that much attention. They have a few draftable players in the conference.

y.f.s. 12-07-2012 10:18 AM

I think he's got the best functional set of tools in this class. He makes more mistakes than you'd like from a four year starter. Further, they've completely pulled his feet out from under him with the offensive design change that's occurred throughout this season.

This last year, Miami (OH) has gone from more under center stuff (which Dysert is legitimately good at) to an Empty formation Gun/Spread. Basically, it looks like the Mizzou offense under Gabbert now. Catch the snap, throw to 1st read on a Quick concept - if that's not there, try to run. And he's really not suited for that, and it's gotten him into bad habits dropping his eyes and watching the pass rush.

If he comes to Mobile and is lights out running a not-******** offense (like I think he will), he shoots way, way, way up. That's basically been my stance of him since early this season.

Oh, and videos:








BuckeyeDan17 12-07-2012 12:25 PM

The throw at 0:35 vs osu was pretty impressive. If his receivers weren't dropping everything that game he might have beat us. 1:59 sticks out too.

SuperMcGee 12-07-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3203393)
I've been talking about Dysert since the summer and he's been on my "Underrated" list all year.

My guess is Dysert doesn't get a lot of ink because he plays in the MAC.

On a bad, bad MAC team. I'm not in love with Dysert but he had one awful supporting cast.

y.f.s. 12-07-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperMcGee (Post 3203978)
On a bad, bad MAC team. I'm not in love with Dysert but he had one awful supporting cast.

Watch his WRs try to run the Snag/Triangle concept at the :20 second mark in the Boise video. They all get mashed and compressed together. Just disgusting.

Unbiased 12-07-2012 12:50 PM

Maybe it's just me, but he really reminds me of Cutler.

Brown Leader 12-07-2012 01:09 PM

He's Kyle Orton.

bucfan12 12-07-2012 01:10 PM

His problem is he doesn't really scan the field well. Locks in on 1 side of te field. He's got the physical tools but he's got some questionable instanglibles and some accuracy issues.

y.f.s. 12-07-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3204002)
His problem is he doesn't really scan the field well. Locks in on 1 side of te field. He's got the physical tools but he's got some questionable instanglibles and some accuracy issues.

Eh, the idea of "scanning the field" is so overrated. No QB really does that. Most of the time you a coverage key (direction of the MLB drop, the safety rotation, the weakside flat rotation, etc) and that determines the route progression.

There are "reads" and there are "progressions" - they are two separate things, although the two are intertwined. Nobody just goes back there and scans from left to right, even in the NFL. I think there's a lot of confusion on this, because I always hear (not necessarily about Dysert, but QBs in general) that "he locked onto his first read" when a "read" requires at least two receivers and a defender to key off of. The "read" is actually of the defensive player.

Further, so much of the stuff they do is Empty Gun/Spread stuff, so it's all Quick concepts. Quicks are all based on taking advantage of structural deficiencies the defense shows pre-snap. If you try to "read' or "scan" a 3-step concept post snap, you will get killed.

bucfan12 12-07-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y.f.s. (Post 3204013)
Eh, the idea of "scanning the field" is so overrated. No QB really does that. Most of the time you a coverage key (direction of the MLB drop, the safety rotation, the weakside flat rotation, etc) and that determines the route progression.

There are "reads" and there are "progressions" - they are two separate things, although the two are intertwined. Nobody just goes back there and scans from left to right, even in the NFL. I think there's a lot of confusion on this, because I always hear (not necessarily about Dysert, but QBs in general) that "he locked onto his first read" when a "read" requires at least two receivers and a defender to key off of. The "read" is actually of the defensive player.

Further, so much of the stuff they do is Empty Gun/Spread stuff, so it's all Quick concepts. Quicks are all based on taking advantage of structural deficiencies the defense shows pre-snap. If you try to "read' or "scan" a 3-step concept post snap, you will get killed.

Making reads pre-snap will measure your QBs success as well .

I think his physical attribuites and raw talent will get him in the 1st round, because the demand for QBs is very high with many teams needing 1. But in a regular draft, where the class isn't so "suspect", he'd be a developmental 2nd/3rd round guy.

y.f.s. 12-07-2012 03:27 PM

I really like his talent, but his regression over the course of the season in that offense is concerning to me. The Empty Quick Gun/Spreads where they ask the QB to be an improviser/runner simply because he's athletic (and not because he's a good improviser - I think they're inherently different skills) force their QBs to pick up more bad habits than the Air Raid or other types of spread-to-pass systems.

That's why I say the Senior Bowl is so important for him - because he's had success (and more of it) doing under center things.

norcalgsr 12-07-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unbiased (Post 3203985)
Maybe it's just me, but he really reminds me of Cutler.

Doesn't have the pure arm of Cutler. I think I read someone compared him to Nick Foles recently.

Flaming Mo 12-07-2012 04:06 PM

I would like the Jets to give him a look in the second round. He might be solid value there and he could compete with Sanchez next year.

SchizophrenicBatman 12-07-2012 10:37 PM

Hard to tell from those videos but does he kind of throw the ball like injured Stafford (short armed side angle - kind of like a baseball reliever)?

descendency 12-07-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3204099)
Making reads pre-snap will measure your QBs success as well .

I think his physical attribuites and raw talent will get him in the 1st round, because the demand for QBs is very high with many teams needing 1. But in a regular draft, where the class isn't so "suspect", he'd be a developmental 2nd/3rd round guy.

the problem with pre-snap reads is that a lot of offenses don't allow QBs much latitude in what happens during the play or pre-snap or at least it never seems like they do.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.