Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Is it time for the Cards to trade Fitzgerald? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54866)

bigbuc 12-10-2012 05:24 PM

Is it time for the Cards to trade Fitzgerald?

They don't have a QB, O line is a mess and none of the RB's can stay off of IR. The reason I ask is it time to trade Fitzgerald because of his age. This is about the last year you'll get max value for him on the open market. Plus with this draft being soft with offensive skill players only can help his market value to other teams. His contract is huge and he's become the face of the franchise ( rightfully so ) but with him in that role have the Cards given him too much power? Also now his dad coming out And bashing the team. Would it be best for both involved to move on without each other? Also it would hurt any team to trade a player like Fitzgerald, but at least they wouldn't be left with nothing. Still have two young skilled kids at WR in Roberts and Floyd.

Jvig43 12-10-2012 05:25 PM

Yes. I just had this conversation yesterday, Not because its best for the team, but because Fitz is a class act and an amazing talent who deserves to play for a competitor.

nobodyinparticular 12-10-2012 05:35 PM

I think it's time for the Cards to pull a Daniel Snyder and trade up in the draft for the best QB that comes out this year.

VernonLawson89 12-10-2012 05:40 PM

Yes. Not that it matters anyway, but get him out of this division.

MetSox17 12-10-2012 05:46 PM

If they do, they'd have to be willing to accept something less than his actual market value as far as assets go. I don't know how much i wanna give up for a near 30 year old wr with a monstrosity of a contract. They should just trade off whatever assets they have and start from scratch. Sucks for them that there's really no clear #1 QB this year.

San Diego Chicken 12-10-2012 05:56 PM

My memory's hazy on this but I thought the story was they asked Fitz for his advice on the QB situation and laid some options on the table and he liked Kolb the best. Who knows if that's true or not but if it is I wonder how he feels about it now, and that's probably why you shouldn't give players a say in personnel moves.

J-Mike88 12-10-2012 06:07 PM

Who would give the most for him, best fit?

Miami?
Washington with RG3?
He'd be a great fit with AD & Percy Harvin..... but QB is too Cardinal-like.

MetSox17 12-10-2012 06:15 PM

I'm pretty sure Christian Ponder would look like a serviceable qb if he had Fitz and a healthy Percy to go with Peterson and Rudolph. They just need to patch up the rest of that OL.

cmarq83 12-10-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetSox17 (Post 3207923)
I'm pretty sure Christian Ponder would look like a serviceable qb if he had Fitz and a healthy Percy to go with Peterson and Rudolph. They just need to patch up the rest of that OL.

I'm afraid that you are not familiar with Christian Ponder's work.

Gridiron 12-10-2012 06:23 PM

Colts should trade for him. 3rd this year and 2nd next year

gpngc 12-10-2012 06:30 PM

If I was a playoff caliber team that needed a receiver, I'd offer a first +.

Seattle, New England come to mind.

fenikz 12-10-2012 06:33 PM

His dad always bitches that's nothing new, I would imagine AZ asks for 1/2+ and I don't think anyone would offer it

ShutDwn 12-10-2012 06:34 PM

Cam needs a big receiver. I think Clausen and DeAngelo is fair...

Ness 12-10-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvig43 (Post 3207845)
Yes. I just had this conversation yesterday, Not because its best for the team, but because Fitz is a class act and an amazing talent who deserves to play for a competitor.

I don't think Arizona cares about that. Their main objective should be doing the best they can to improve their team. Business is business. Trading Fitzgerald would do just that.

gpngc 12-10-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 3207950)
His dad always bitches that's nothing new, I would imagine AZ asks for 1/2+ and I don't think anyone would offer it

I think multiple teams would be willing to negotiate if Arizona made that their price.

To me, Fitzgerald is one of the greatest receivers of all time. His potential production has just been squashed by horrible, horrible quarterbacking.

When Warner was playing well he willed his team to what would have been a Super Bowl win if Cards zone defenders knew how to get depth.

He's missed 4 games in 9 years.

In terms of receiver-specific skills, he's the best I've ever seen after Rice.

Cigaro 12-10-2012 06:45 PM

I certainly think he deserves the chance to get out of there if he wants. But considering that they're getting a new quarterback, I'm not sure I'd want him to be denied such a fantastic receiver.

JordanTaber 12-10-2012 07:02 PM

Great. New England, here he comes...for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, probably, at that.

NY+Giants=NYG 12-10-2012 07:26 PM

No, he got extended there. They don't have to trade him. If they feel is can be part of the solution or help there in their rebuilding than keep him.

holt_bruce81 12-10-2012 07:31 PM

No, because they'll never get back even half the value in any trade involving Fitz. Plus the Bidwills would never allow it.

coordinator0 12-10-2012 07:40 PM

The Ravens don't make many moves outside of the draft but if Fitzgerald was available I think they would go after him.

Caulibflower 12-10-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3207966)
I certainly think he deserves the chance to get out of there if he wants. But considering that they're getting a new quarterback, I'm not sure I'd want him to be denied such a fantastic receiver.

I get the feeling their front office will be looking Indy's way and seeing how happy they are to have kept Reggie Wayne. Larry's been playing a long time, but he's not old by any means. He's easily got 5 more seasons in him, and that's plenty of time to bring in a new QB, establish an offensive identity and make a run. For as bad as 58-0 looks, I don't think Arizona needs to be blown up. They had 4 picks and 3 fumbles between two quarterbacks yesterday.

That is abominable. They have about the worst quarterback situation I've ever seen. This is evidence of how critical quarterback play is, not that Arizona is totally devoid of talent. Patrick Peterson lost two fumbles, too, and that's kind of flukey. You're not going to try and replace him.

Their offense needs a facelift, that's for sure, but I really think that even a competent starter could make this a .500 team pretty easily. Once you're talking about bringing a couple new bodies in to improve the offensive line, and getting those running backs healthy, this is a team that can hang with anybody. Not going to wax as hyperbolic as to call them a playoff team, but that 58-0 score can be pretty squarely attributed to the Cardinals backing Kolb up with two strong arms and little else.

bigbluedefense 12-10-2012 10:20 PM

Absolutely not. They'll 5 cents on the dollar for any trade they make, plus they don't owe him anything. He gets a check to play for the team, and a handsome check at that.

And rebuilding can happen quickly. They have a good defense, they just need some pieces on offense like a qb and some OLmen and they'll be fine.

If the front office didn't listen to Fitzgerald's brilliant ideas like bringing in Kolb and getting Floyd, maybe he wouldn't have his current problem.

gpngc 12-10-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3208368)
Absolutely not. They'll 5 cents on the dollar for any trade they make, plus they don't owe him anything. He gets a check to play for the team, and a handsome check at that.

And rebuilding can happen quickly. They have a good defense, they just need some pieces on offense like a qb and some OLmen and they'll be fine.

If the front office didn't listen to Fitzgerald's brilliant ideas like bringing in Kolb and getting Floyd, maybe he wouldn't have his current problem.

Rebuilding can happen quickly but I just can't see any conceivable way they can upgrade at QB the way they'd need to to turn it around considering this draft class, allllllllll the other teams that need a QB and will be picking higher than them, and the potential veteran QBs available.

Unless Rivers became available or Kolb doesn't scare them away from Matt Flynn, who actually becomes good. Both of those scenarios are VERY unlikely.

So that means they'd waste him next year also. The idea is to develop into a Super Bowl contender and trading Fitz for a bunch of draft picks is probably the best move. It's ballsy, but it's time to rebuild rather than turning themselves into the Jets or Vikings, constantly battling for a wild card and not being good enough to do anything because they're severely outmatched talent-wise pretty much everywhere, and especially at QB, by the other teams in their division.

bigbluedefense 12-10-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 3208406)
Rebuilding can happen quickly but I just can't see any conceivable way they can upgrade at QB the way they'd need to to turn it around considering this draft class, allllllllll the other teams that need a QB and will be picking higher than them, and the potential veteran QBs available.

Unless Rivers became available or Kolb doesn't scare them away from Matt Flynn, who actually becomes good. Both of those scenarios are VERY unlikely.

So that means they'd waste him next year also. The idea is to develop into a Super Bowl contender and trading Fitz for a bunch of draft picks is probably the best move. It's ballsy, but it's time to rebuild rather than turning themselves into the Jets or Vikings, constantly battling for a wild card and not being good enough to do anything because they're severely outmatched talent-wise pretty much everywhere, and especially at QB, by the other teams in their division.

That's the problem. They're not gonna get a lot of picks for Fitz.

Maybe a 1st and a 3rd. His market value isn't as high as ppl think. He's aging and WRs are easy to find in the draft. And he's expensive. I rather keep Fitz than get an extra 1st and 3rd. It's not worth it to me.

gpngc 12-10-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3208412)
That's the problem. They're not gonna get a lot of picks for Fitz.

Maybe a 1st and a 3rd. His market value isn't as high as ppl think. He's aging and WRs are easy to find in the draft. And he's expensive. I rather keep Fitz than get an extra 1st and 3rd. It's not worth it to me.

I'm usually the one arguing against the perceived value of draft picks in general, but in this particular case, a 1st and a 3rd might be better for that team than Larry Fitzgerald.

I do think they could get more than a 1st and a 3rd. You have to realize, Belichick may retire soon...