Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   How much time should I spend studying for the GRE? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55024)

Matthew Jones 12-27-2012 07:45 PM

How much time should I spend studying for the GRE?

I just graduated from Western Connecticut State University with a degree in English Lit, and I'm hoping to begin some graduate school applications soon for a degree in Education (Secondary Education English, or Curriculum & Instruction, or whatever the equivalent by school is.) For most programs, I'm going to need to take the GRE, so I've purchased the "Cracking the GRE" book and plan on filling out everything in there. I'm just wondering how far down the road I should schedule the GRE for.

Will I be able to study this book for a month and perform well? I graduated with a fairly high GPA (3.86) and I'm trying to get into some top-50 schools, preferably with some sort of scholarship/financial aid, but I assume I'll need to perform well on the GRE to be considered. Should I place more emphasis on the verbal sections as opposed to the math, or are they all valued equally? How many graduate schools should I be applying to?

Rob S 12-27-2012 08:58 PM

What kind of score do you need/want? What are you hitting on practice tests? I have no idea how long you need to study if you can't provide a goal and current status. FWIW, the extent of my studying for the GMAT was 3 practice tests....I consistently destroyed the score I knew I needed and didn't want to waste unnecessary time.

Matthew Jones 12-27-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob S (Post 3223717)
What kind of score do you need/want? What are you hitting on practice tests? I have no idea how long you need to study if you can't provide a goal and current status. FWIW, the extent of my studying for the GMAT was 3 practice tests....I consistently destroyed the score I knew I needed and didn't want to waste unnecessary time.

Honestly, I have no idea what GRE scoring is like, so I'm not going to stress over a certain score too much. I haven't taken any practice tests yet, but I was just hoping for some sort of general ballpark. I ended up doing well on the SATs with only a few days of studying, but I assume the GRE should be significantly more difficult.

derza222 12-27-2012 10:35 PM

As far as I know, the GRE isn't really all that much more difficult than the SAT. Different format, though. I do know from studying some for the math section that it was fairly easy and really no harder than SAT math. The schools you're applying to should detail what they're looking for in terms of score, at least generally, so that should give you an idea of what to shoot for.

kalbears13 12-28-2012 03:27 AM

I'm taking the GRE also. I got the Kaplan book and I plan on studying that and then taking it.

jballa838 12-28-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob S (Post 3223717)

Let's talk more about this GMAT. What is it even about?

thefalconer 12-28-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jballa838 (Post 3224146)
Let's talk more about this GMAT. What is it even about?

it's the standardized test for mba applicants. also for those wanting to pursue masters in accounting and finance.

jballa838 12-28-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefalconer (Post 3224154)
it's the standardized test for mba applicants. also for those wanting to pursue masters in accounting and finance.

Alright I got that much. What about these practice tests and all that though?