Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dirk Koetter (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55096)

bigbuc 01-02-2013 02:22 PM

Dirk Koetter

Can someone help me out with this. This guy was the Jags OC for 4 years and does nothing. Best you can say is he made MJD reading rusher two years ago. Goes to ATL with Ryan, White, Jones and Tony and now such a hot head coach that ATL gave him a a new contract so he would leave! But it's not like he's perfect, his rushing attack is 29th in the league. What do teams see in him? Why would you want this guy running your team?

AntoinCD 01-02-2013 02:26 PM

When he was in Jacksonville he had no QB and no WRs. That's why MJD got so many carries to be one of the top rushers.

Now in Atlanta he has a competent QB, very good WRs and a good TE. However he doesn't have a top quality RB. Turner is slow as **** these days and Quiz isn't a #1 option. Matt ryan had by far his best season under Koetter. That is why he is in demand

LonghornsLegend 01-02-2013 02:30 PM

This is the way things work in the NFL, it's the same for Head Coaches. I had been using him as an example all year now. He was fired in Jax as an OC but had no talent to work with what so ever, then he goes to a team with arguable the best 1-2 combo at WR, one of the best TE's ever, and Matt Ryan, magically his offense is more productive because of it and now he gets Head Coaching interviews.

He sure did get a nice upgrade on jobs and it's not surprising he isn't in a hurry to leave either, he's got it made right where he is.

Halsey 01-02-2013 04:11 PM

Seems to me that nobody here really knows much about the guy other than how the Jaguars and Falcons offense performed over a few years. Seems like an oversimplified way to evaluate a coach.

nepg 01-02-2013 04:20 PM

He is a hot target because he's had success as an NFL coordinator and has he's coaching experience in college. Experience is a big factor with him.

LonghornsLegend 01-02-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsey (Post 3230468)
Seems to me that nobody here really knows much about the guy other than how the Jaguars and Falcons offense performed over a few years. Seems like an oversimplified way to evaluate a coach.

That's not my point. My point was that he wasn't a bad coach in Jacksonville. A bunch of these coordinators get shuffled around when a large portion of their success relies on the players in place. I can't think of one offensive coordinator right now, even the big names, that would have performed well with Blaine Gabbert throwing to Mike Thomas and Jarrett Dillard.

Unbiased 01-03-2013 12:47 AM

He was a lame duck in Jacksonville in 2011. He didn't seem to want to deal with an incredibly raw QB, knowing he'd probably leave the next year. So just because Gabbert played like he got no coaching doesn't necessarily mean he needs a great QB to succeed.

That said, it's still probably smart to stay in his current situation like he's doing.

Halsey 01-03-2013 12:59 AM

How many coaches don't need a great QB to suceed?

Unbiased 01-03-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsey (Post 3231085)
How many coaches don't need a great QB to suceed?

irrelevant to my point

Monomach 01-03-2013 01:28 AM

I'd want to see more from him before giving him the big boy's job, too.

BigDawg819 01-03-2013 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3231110)
I'd want to see more from him before giving him the big boy's job, too.

Atlanta gave you your wish by paying him to stay put.

Iamcanadian 01-03-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbuc (Post 3230365)
Can someone help me out with this. This guy was the Jags OC for 4 years and does nothing. Best you can say is he made MJD reading rusher two years ago. Goes to ATL with Ryan, White, Jones and Tony and now such a hot head coach that ATL gave him a a new contract so he would leave! But it's not like he's perfect, his rushing attack is 29th in the league. What do teams see in him? Why would you want this guy running your team?

Success breds desire and teams that cannot judge coaching talent always jump on the guy who is hot. Just look at how many great OC's get hired as HC's and then flop. I don't know if he will make a solid HC, I doubt anybody outside the great talent evaluators, could tell you for sure. After all, BB got fired by Cleveland and Coughlin got fired by Jacksonville and they went on to get to and win a lot of SB's.