Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Matt Elam = Jack Tatum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55104)

dregolll 01-03-2013 07:23 AM

Matt Elam = Jack Tatum

Matt Elam is an absolute monster. This guy reminds me of a modern day Jack Tatum. Tatum was not the biggest safety but he struck fear in the hearts of opposing players. Matt Elam fits that description perfectly and I predict he will be the next big time safety. The guy is as physical as they come and hits like a mack truck. I love him as a prospect. What are your thoughts?

Cigaro 01-03-2013 08:03 AM

I love his aggressiveness, but unless he changes he'll quickly become one of the most flagged and fined players in the league.

DiG 01-03-2013 08:06 AM

I think he's dirty and will draw a lot of flags at the pro level. He is still learning coverage. He's susceptible to getting beat on the long ball and still needs to improve on his angles. I'll admit he hits like a mack truck but he doesnt exactly wrap up or form tackle a lot of the time. He's got fantastic speed, tremendous athleticism, and can cover a lot of ground quickly. I think he has a lot of potential but needs the right coach and the right situation.

Witten4HOF 01-03-2013 08:28 AM

I think you can get a very similar player in Shamarko Thomas two rounds later. Elam is strictly a SS at this point but is fluid enough to play the deep half if he improves footwork/ball skills. Might have trouble in coverage vs top tier tight ends who can post him up and go get the ball.

Iamcanadian 01-03-2013 09:57 AM

Elam will be a fine NFL Safety and likely a #1 pick. However, nobody today can play like Tatum did, they would be flagged on every play. Tatum was a real head hunter and very few WR's would even try to catch a ball in the middle of the field against him.
Few modern day WR's could even play in Tatum's time, DB's today aren't allowed to head hunt, WR's in Tatum's time feared for their careers every time they played against him and needed exceptionable courage to go over the middle against him.

Babylon 01-03-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witten4HOF (Post 3231236)
I think you can get a very similar player in Shamarko Thomas two rounds later. Elam is strictly a SS at this point but is fluid enough to play the deep half if he improves footwork/ball skills. Might have trouble in coverage vs top tier tight ends who can post him up and go get the ball.

This. Coverage would be a concern. Didn't see a lot of that from the Florida secondary last night.

TACKLE 01-03-2013 01:48 PM

Bob Sanders 2.0

cmarq83 01-03-2013 01:59 PM

At that size you need to be very worried about injuries considering his playing style.

CashmoneyDrew 01-03-2013 04:24 PM

I've been on his hype train for a while. I was hoping the Titans would be able to snatch him up at the top of the 2nd round. Alas, that was when he was a little more under the radar, and before the Titans won 2 of their last 3.

descendency 01-03-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiG (Post 3231226)
I think he's dirty and will draw a lot of flags at the pro level. He is still learning coverage. He's susceptible to getting beat on the long ball and still needs to improve on his angles. I'll admit he hits like a mack truck but he doesnt exactly wrap up or form tackle a lot of the time. He's got fantastic speed, tremendous athleticism, and can cover a lot of ground quickly. I think he has a lot of potential but needs the right coach and the right situation.

Sounds exactly like what the Patriots draft at safety.

rawdawg 01-03-2013 05:54 PM

I think his coverage ability is underrated. I think he's kind of a wildman like Polamalu and wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers seriously consider taking him. He is more of a SS at this point, but I think if a team takes him to play deep middle, he is a training camp and good coaching away from being able to do that pretty well. Footwork needs work. Reading the QB needs to get better, but he makes up for it by having great closing speed.

Very physical as was stated, I really like him to muscle up on some of the tiny slot WRs around the NFL. I also like him coming on the blitz. He does need to tone it down a bit for the NFL, or else he'll be playing football for free. I'd actually like to see him be more aggressive after the ball instead of the WR. Could be a 6-8 INT/year type of safety.

Babylon 01-03-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3231647)
Sounds exactly like what the Patriots draft at safety.

Would be an upgrade over what they have back there now.

DBNYDP 01-04-2013 12:53 AM

He'd be a good addition to a defense that relies on turnovers rather than stops. He's going to make some spectacular plays but I'm sure he's going to get exposed plenty of times. Nothing really wrong with that, I just don't think he's going to be a very disciplined safety at this level, I just don't see it as his game.

Abaddon 01-04-2013 01:39 AM

These days, if coverage isn't your best asset as a safety, you're going to have a bad time.

Eric Berry is a brute near the LOS. Force him to cover, though...

I miss the days when big hitters could still be relevant, but they're gone and they're not coming back. You have to be a cover guy first now, even as a SS.