Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Mariota or Manziel (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55114)

ninerfan35 01-04-2013 06:44 AM

Mariota or Manziel

Had this debate with a friend of mine. If you could pick one who would it be. I'd say there isn't a discussion and that Manziel is the pick.

Cardinal96 01-04-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninerfan35 (Post 3232180)
Had this debate with a friend of mine. If you could pick one who would it be. I'd say there isn't a discussion and that Manziel is the pick.

Is this for a college football team or a pro football team. Personally, I am tempted to go with Mariota for an NFL team. I think he has the size and skills that will translate better in the pros.

SuperPacker 01-04-2013 06:46 PM

Mariota will be the better pro. Easily.

jrdrylie 01-04-2013 06:46 PM

If we are talking about as a pro, I'm taking Mariota and it isn't even a discussion. Mariota has much better size (6'4" 210 vs. 6'1" 200), a bigger arm, is more pass first (although offense type and surrounding cast plays a part too and both run a lot), and he is actually probably a better athlete.

In terms of college, it's close. Both had great years, especially for Freshman. Oregon's team was better but Texas A&M played better defenses (although SEC defenses were nowhere near up to their usual standards). Manziel has the edge so far, but I think the Oregon offense shifts more towards Mariota next year. Can't go wrong with either though.

SickwithIt1010 01-04-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3232817)
Mariota will be the better pro. Easily.

Agreed, but in the college game I'm leaning to Johnny.

Warriorz319 01-04-2013 11:08 PM

College or Pro I would take Mariota over Manziel. Mariota has more pure ability as a QB and a better supporting cast. Not to take anything away from Manziel who has been great; however, in no way was Manziel a better QB than Mariota as a Freshman and I see nothing to assume that will change as they both gain more and more experience barring injury.

FUNBUNCHER 01-05-2013 01:27 AM

I always go with the better overall football player. In this case it's Manziel.

Babylon 01-05-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3232871)
Agreed, but in the college game I'm leaning to Johnny.

Heavily. I'm not even sure Manziel won't be great at the pro level either. He throws the ball really well and we've seen a glimpse of the future of the position ( in certain forms) with guys like Griffin and Wilson. This takes nothing away from what i feel about the potential of Marcus Mariota.

My guess is if Manziel were in this draft someone like Dallas would trade up into the top 5 picks to take him. Imagine that show with him playing in Dallas.

SolidGold 01-05-2013 01:51 PM

Manziel in college and the pros.

Malaka 01-09-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3233320)
Heavily. I'm not even sure Manziel won't be great at the pro level either. He throws the ball really well and we've seen a glimpse of the future of the position ( in certain forms) with guys like Griffin and Wilson. This takes nothing away from what i feel about the potential of Marcus Mariota.

My guess is if Manziel were in this draft someone like Dallas would trade up into the top 5 picks to take him. Imagine that show with him playing in Dallas.

Explain.

I do not see how Griffin and Wilson show this. Griffin's health gave out by the playoffs, unless he becomes a more traditional passer he will continue to have injury plagued seasons. Wilson ran smarter and slid more often, and also began a transition to becoming a more traditional passer. That's why Wilson has lasted this whole season.

Put Manziel's size and his style of play in the NFL he won't last 10 games.

I take Mariota easily.

Shane P. Hallam 01-09-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninerfan35 (Post 3232180)

In college, I'll take Manziel. In the pros, I have them close, but I'll take Mariota. See more flashes of potential in the downfield passing game, but I think both could go pretty high in the draft, though it may difficult for them to assess their own draft value and decide to declare early, etc.

Babylon 01-09-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3239255)
In college, I'll take Manziel. In the pros, I have them close, but I'll take Mariota. See more flashes of potential in the downfield passing game, but I think both could go pretty high in the draft, though it may difficult for them to assess their own draft value and decide to declare early, etc.

A lot of Marcus's passes are bubble screens to backs and wrs so his numbers might be a little deceiving. I thought his downfield reads and accuracy dropped off at the end of the year. Having said that i think he can develope into a high draft pick but if there is a system where you question how it translates to the pros he's playing in it.

descendency 01-09-2013 05:18 PM

The answer is Manziel and it's not even close.

G Mobile 01-09-2013 05:45 PM

Manziel easily in college and probably Mariota eventually in the pros when he develops. Manziel is just so dynamic. I can see Mariota's obvious skills but I'm not going to ignore the preceding success of other Oregon QBs at the college level.

JRTPlaya21 01-09-2013 07:24 PM

Honestly Oregon QB's seem to be a more of a product of the system then any school and after Johnny Football roasted Alabama I'll never doubt that kid ever again.

soybean 01-09-2013 07:48 PM

The problem I have with Mariota is that he's never really been in any tough situations or tough games, except 1, Stanford.

Other than the Stanford game he was never really under any pressure to deliver, I guess credit to that juggernaut Oregon offense; but the one time when the team wasn't just flat out faster than everyone, he didn't come through.

soybean 01-09-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 (Post 3239706)
Honestly Oregon QB's seem to be a more of a product of the system then any school and after Johnny Football roasted Alabama I'll never doubt that kid ever again.

Not to take anything away from that game but a betting man could have called the upset a mile away. The week before Alabama beat LSU in the final seconds on a huge emotional high. Could see the let down coming the next week a mile away.

FUNBUNCHER 01-09-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaka (Post 3239197)
Explain.

I do not see how Griffin and Wilson show this. Griffin's health gave out by the playoffs, unless he becomes a more traditional passer he will continue to have injury plagued seasons. Wilson ran smarter and slid more often, and also began a transition to becoming a more traditional passer. That's why Wilson has lasted this whole season.

Put Manziel's size and his style of play in the NFL he won't last 10 games.

I take Mariota easily.

I think Manziel is a smarter runner than RG3 because Manziel knows that although he's a great athlete himself, he's not always, if ever, the fastest guy on the field.

Grif gets into trouble IMO because on any carry knowing he runs a 4.3, he thinks if he gets a crease in the open field that he has a chance to take it the house. That leads to him taking way too many chances when he runs.

Grif getting splattered by Ngata was just a dumb decision on his part. Robert cut back into the middle of the field where backside pursuit from the dline was trailing and more or less 'ran' himself into Ngata.:facepalm:

I rarely saw Manziel get blown up on an open field run.

Running the pistol/zone read just forces the D to prepare for something else in their gameplan that so far most NFL defenses can't cover effectively.

If an NFL team wants to add that wrinkle to their offense, you need an athlete at QB like Manziel.

JRTPlaya21 01-09-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soybean (Post 3239753)
Not to take anything away from that game but a betting man could have called the upset a mile away. The week before Alabama beat LSU in the final seconds on a huge emotional high. Could see the let down coming the next week a mile away.

True but then I watched those Cotton Bowl highlights and the kid had has way with Oklahoma.

Babylon 01-10-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 (Post 3239815)
True but then I watched those Cotton Bowl highlights and the kid had has way with Oklahoma.

I know ND deserved to be there but i would have loved to have seen TAMU and Bama monday night.

JRTPlaya21 01-10-2013 02:47 PM

That game in College Station next season is going to be quite epic.

tjsunstein 01-14-2013 04:19 PM

Mariota every single time for me.

Shreckart 01-14-2013 06:53 PM

Watched Manziel in person at the Cotton Bowl (Born in Norman, but go to TCU) and I must say he is incredible. Unbelievable with the fluidity he has when he runs the ball. Mariota is a solid player, but I'll take Manziel over any QB in the country. (Except Casey Pachall)

norcalgsr 02-05-2013 04:34 AM

Kevin Hogan.