Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Best Draft for Defensive Front Seven? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55132)

Big_Pete 01-06-2013 05:28 AM

Best Draft for Defensive Front Seven?

I am looking at this draft and it seems to be loaded at every position in the defensive front seven.

Looking at prospects who are a potential chance to go in the top three rounds we have:

11 OLB
(*Jarvis Jones, *Barkevious Mingo, Khaseem Greene, Arthur Brown, John Simon, Chase Thomas, Brandon Jenkins, Sean Porter, Jamie Collins, *Jelani Jenkins, Travis Long, Gerald Hodges)

8 ILB
(Manti Te'o, *Kevin Minter, *Alex Ogletree, Nico Johnson, Shayne Skov, Jon Bostic, Kevin Reddick, Mike Mauti)

12 DT
(Star Lotulelei, *Johnathan Hankins, *Sheldon Richardson, Jesse Williams, John Jenkins, *Sharrif Floyd, Kawann Short, Sylvester Williams, *Akeem Spence, Jordan Hill, Everett Dawkins, Brandon Williams)

16 DE
(*Damontre Moore, Bjeorn Werner, *Sam Montgomery, Ezekiel Ansah, Alex Okafor, Dion Jordan, Margus Hunt, Datone Jones, *Jackson Jeffcoat, *Corey Lemonier, *Dominique Easley, Cornellius Carradine, William Gholston, Lavar Edwards, Malliciah Goodman, Michael Buchanan)

Thats 47 players and perhaps at best 32 landing spots in the first 3 rounds.

This will mean that good talent will be available, I also think it will mean lower profile positions (ILB and 4-3 OLB) will slip a little more than people expect.

rawdawg 01-06-2013 09:01 AM

Good post. As a Bears fan, Ive been hoping that a 4-3 LB would be there in the 4th. With the needs on the OL and at TE, I think it may be better value to go after those 2 positions first and get a guy like Reddick to replace Urlacher in the 4th, if he lasts that long.

Scott Wright 01-06-2013 10:28 AM

Assuming everyone that we expect to declare does, this will be one of if not the best defensive line crops that I've ever seen. I think the offensive line class is pretty special too.

With that said, the defensive lineman are going to come off the board early and often.

rawdawg 01-06-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3234542)
Assuming everyone that we expect to declare does, this will be one of if not the best defensive line crops that I've ever seen. I think the offensive line class is pretty special too.

With that said, the defensive lineman are going to come off the board early and often.

Defensive lineman always come off early. And like you said this is a solid OL class as well. Throw in the inevitable QB, WR, and DB picks focused on increasing or stopping production in the passing game, and the non-pass rushing LB group should drop some.

Halsey 01-06-2013 12:04 PM

It'll be interesting to see if all this talent on the front 7 lives up to people's expectations. Front 7 players are more risky than a lot of fans and media seem to realize. The NFL Draft has had it's fair share of Aaron Curry's, Courtney Brown's, etc, etc.

SolidGold 01-06-2013 01:35 PM

I didn't see Werner on your list - he is going to be the first DE taken. Also Mike Mauti should be picked by round 3 if his knee checks out.

He would be great in Buffalo - I was just thinking today of how Poz would of performed behind the Bills front 4 - he probably would of put up over 200 tackles.

Big_Pete 01-06-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3234801)
I didn't see Werner on your list - he is going to be the first DE taken. Also Mike Mauti should be picked by round 3 if his knee checks out.

He would be great in Buffalo - I was just thinking today of how Poz would of performed behind the Bills front 4 - he probably would of put up over 200 tackles.

I missed those two.

I can't remember a draft this loaded with talent and depth at all positions in the front seven.

Workouts etc will be critical.

Good point on the oline too Scott.

Duffman57 01-06-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3234542)

With Matthews not declaring, who do you like best for the 2nd teir OT's? I know Lane Johnson, Dallas Thomas, Oday Aboushi, maybe Justin Pugh, and i guess even guys like Kyle Long have nestled their way in there. Who would you take first for a LT?

foozball 01-06-2013 04:22 PM

Maybe it's just me...but I think the LB crop is pretty weak (not counting 3-4 OLBs). Teo is the only LB I think is worthy of a 1st round grade (again, not counting 3-4 OLBs)

AntoinCD 01-06-2013 04:28 PM

I love the LB class. Te'o, Greene, Minter, Ogletree, Brown etc are all guys who could conceivably be considered first round guys but some will inevitably fall. Overall if you need front 7 help this is an awesome draft

wicket 01-06-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3234801)

second after moore id say