Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Patriots Switching to ZBS (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5522)

remix 6 04-02-2007 12:36 PM

Patriots Switching to ZBS

According to ProFootball Weekly, the Pats are going to change their run blocking scheme from a straight line blocking to a zone blocking to accomodate Maroney's cutback style.

i like this..ZBS is becoming more popular with more teams switching to it..will benefit our team greatly once they get it down

Quote:

Word is the Patriots are considering changing to more of a zone-blocking scheme to take advantage of RB Laurence Maroney’s cutback ability. Last year’s blocking scheme was better-suited to Corey Dillon’s straight-line, off-tackle running style.

The Unseen 04-02-2007 12:45 PM

Probably a good idea. I think people overrate the ZBS because when they hear someone use it, they automatically think their team is gonna improve in the running game and may become like Denver. However, it is currently the best run-blocking system out there when used properly.

fenikz 04-02-2007 12:50 PM

they will probably use a mix of the zbs and normal blocking, versatility is what the patriots are about

bearsfan_51 04-02-2007 12:51 PM

Bye bye pass blocking.

remix 6 04-02-2007 12:51 PM

i dont believe just because other teams are succesfull that we will..we have some athletic OL who can definatley do well in this and a good OL coach in Dante

we have 3-4 pretty good OL..2 which were borderline pro bowlers but when run blocking..it just wasnt working especially for Maroney because most of our players were power plays and Maroney kept trying to make a big play out of nothing instead of pushing for 2 yard gain.

ZBS will at least open something up for Maroney and he'll take advantage giving him an opportunity for more big plays

gonzo1105 04-02-2007 12:53 PM

Yes, exactly when its used properly. If you dont have the right type of lineman to run it or if your line is not very smart its not going to work. This is non assignment run blocking. You step to the next open space to the way you are running and whatever player comes into your open space you pick him up and drive him whatever way he wants to go. Its actually a very difficult system to pick up at first and takes a little bit of time to gel unless their lineman have been doin it awhile. It does accomodate Maroney but does it accomodate their O-line.

draftguru151 04-02-2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 268226)
Bye bye pass blocking.

I doubt they change the offensive lineman so I doubt it effect the pass blocking.

evershot 04-02-2007 01:12 PM

The Pat's will most likely ADD a couple of zone blocking plays to help maximize Maroney but I doubt they will abandon their regular power running style. Why completely change your running style to accommodated one running back, when your current line is very good at what they do? The answer is you don't, you just add on a couple of plays to help out your RB.

luckyjackaubrey 04-02-2007 01:18 PM

I am not sure this merits much discussion. The next time the Patriots tell anyone in the free world anything about how or what they plan to do will be the first time.

That said, the Pats lineman are the smaller, more agile types and the system would seem to play to their strengths. Maroney on the other hand , had his issues with dancing around and trying to create when holes closed down quickly. This is a system that requires one move and get up the field. It seems he would be the variable to the success of the move.

draftguru151 04-02-2007 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyjackaubrey (Post 268268)
I am not sure this merits much discussion. The next time the Patriots tell anyone in the free world anything about how or what they plan to do will be the first time.

That said, the Pats lineman are the smaller, more agile types and the system would seem to play to their strengths. Maroney on the other hand , had his issues with dancing around and trying to create when holes closed down quickly. This is a system that requires one move and get up the field. It seems he would be the variable to the success of the move.

How much of Maroney did you watch in college?

remix 6 04-02-2007 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evershot (Post 268257)
The Pat's will most likely ADD a couple of zone blocking plays to help maximize Maroney but I doubt they will abandon their regular power running style. Why completely change your running style to accommodated one running back, when your current line is very good at what they do? The answer is you don't, you just add on a couple of plays to help out your RB.

our previous scheme was straight blocking..more for power guys. theres a reason Dillon is gone. last year our blocking wasnt in sync..it wasnt working for neither Maroney or Dillon..we started making a switch last training camp but never got it completely but started putting in zone plays

DeathbyStat 04-02-2007 02:06 PM

It will play to Maroney's strenths

PickedOffTwice 04-02-2007 03:05 PM

Bill Bellichick can't be wrong. never ever.
My guess is 6 YPC for maroney.

No, Srsly, if some other team would do this i would suspect them to fail. But I think the Patriots know exactly what they're doing.

TNPatsFan 04-02-2007 03:07 PM

The Pats already use a form of zone blocking. That's why their O-Lineman are smaller than average, as was previously mentioned. This really isn't news.

briz5x 04-02-2007 03:25 PM

you think they would target Joe Staley in the 1st round now?

remix 6 04-02-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briz5x (Post 268678)
you think they would target Joe Staley in the 1st round now?

i think our OL are good enough as it is but its still a posibility if they dont feel someone will fit

Light - 305
Mankins - 310
Koppen - 300
Neal - 305
Kazcur - 315

what would that mean for Ryan O'Callaghan whos a 6"7 330 lb mammoth!

nvm over 300 really isnt small..Denver OL is small but Atlanta is very similar size to our OL

Big Mike 04-02-2007 03:34 PM

Westbrook is the best with zone blocking

briz5x 04-02-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remix 6 (Post 268704)
i think our OL are good enough as it is but its still a posibility if they dont feel someone will fit

Light - 305
Mankins - 310
Koppen - 300
Neal - 305
Kazcur - 315

what would that mean for Ryan O'Callaghan whos a 6"7 330 lb mammoth!

nvm over 300 really isnt small..Denver OL is small but Atlanta is very similar size to our OL

Staley would probably upgrade Light, Kazcur, and Ocallahan in a zone blocking scheme, even though the guys we got now would be ok. I still hope they go defense with both picks in the 1st.

bored of education 04-02-2007 04:21 PM

It's a step in the right direction esp. with Maroney at the reigns at RB. Won't be a huge affect/effect for the team though.

bigbluedefense 04-02-2007 04:27 PM

I think they'll introduce more elements of the ZBS into their blocking scheme, but they won't make a full switch with personnell change.

Im not a fan of ZBS honestly. Pass protection suffers too much from it. Id only like it if its used with the WCO, because the WCO neutralizes alot of the problems in pass protection in ZBS. But Im not a fan of WCO either, so meh.

d34ng3l021 04-02-2007 04:52 PM

Well in order to run the ZBS, your OL need to be athletic and its alot harder for bigger guys to run it. I wouldnt be surprised to see the Pats OL slim down to fit it (Kevin Schaffer added 20-30 lbs after he left Atlanta). Once the slim down happens, the pass blocking could get worse.

Maybe the Falcon's OL just completely blows.

This is perfect for Marooney btw. Didnt he run in the ZBS in Minny?

remix 6 04-02-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 (Post 269003)
Well in order to run the ZBS, your OL need to be athletic and its alot harder for bigger guys to run it. I wouldnt be surprised to see the Pats OL slim down to fit it (Kevin Schaffer added 20-30 lbs after he left Atlanta). Once the slim down happens, the pass blocking could get worse.

Maybe the Falcon's OL just completely blows.

This is perfect for Marooney btw. Didnt he run in the ZBS in Minny?

yeah he ran it at Minnesota

only 1 Patriots starting OL is listed at under 300 which is Koppen whos 295 but despite size, i feel Mankins and Light aswell as neal are athletic in ways

Don Vito 04-02-2007 04:58 PM

We have pretty adequate personel to make the switch to the ZBS, we should see pretty much the same starting OL. I don't know how O'Callaghan fits is now, but Kazcur should be decent at RT. Light, Mankins, Koppen, and Neal all seem like they would be pretty good. Light could be upgraded though, but I am not a fan of using a first rounder on Staley. It could happen though.

princefielder28 04-02-2007 05:00 PM

Good adjustment by the Pats! :)

Staubach12 04-02-2007 07:04 PM

It'll work well with Maroney, there's no doubt about that.