Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Malliciah Goodman, 87" wingspan at 6'3.5"! (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55339)

Black Bolt 01-21-2013 12:48 PM

Malliciah Goodman, 87" wingspan at 6'3.5"!

Look how freaky he looks. I saw a lot of Clemson this year, but didn't focus in on him. Anyone got a quit analysis?

mightytitan9 01-21-2013 12:55 PM

Just from what I've seen of him watching Clemson: He's not overly athletic, or quick. Bigger body with long arms. He's gonna get a chance at SDE in a 43 but with his length the 34 teams will likely be looking hard at him too

Unbiased 01-21-2013 12:56 PM

Really disappointing player. I see no reason to draft him.

BallerT1215 01-21-2013 02:27 PM

He really broke out in their bowl game against LSU. Pretty much looked unstoppable all game, if he builds off that game tape and put together some good workouts, he will get some buzz.

If the first time you saw him was in the bowl game, you would have thought he was a stud.

FUNBUNCHER 01-21-2013 03:05 PM

Will be a better pro than collegian.

Cigaro 01-21-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bolt (Post 3252634)
Look how freaky he looks. I saw a lot of Clemson this year, but didn't focus in on him. Anyone got a quit analysis?

He's been basically non-existent. Good enough to hold onto a starting spot, but that's it. Never was a feared pass rusher, never was a quality run stopper either. Much better on paper than on the field. He did have a great game against LSU, but that was basically his first. If he tests well, he wouldn't be a bad option late in the draft, but that's about it.

regoob2 01-21-2013 03:14 PM

I like him as a potential DT. Get him around 290lbs and see if he can run past some OGs.

Caulibflower 01-21-2013 03:23 PM

His game against LSU was not his first good game. He was solid through the last half of the season. With him, it's going to be a question of why he never turned it on until then. As a former 5-start prospect, I think there's some reason to cast him as an underachiever, which could justifiably turn some off some NFL teams. He's not as bad in run support as people are saying. He's no Justin Smith, but he's certainly capable of anchoring the edge. He just kind of has a lackadaisical sort of energy sometimes. He's a player that, when I watch him, I watch for flashes, and the flashes are there. On a play-to-play basis, over the course of his whole career, he's not going to knock your socks off but he's had some moments that you see and you can't help but picture him in an NFL uniform.

I'd have no problem at all taking him in the 5th round as a project, but is someone I could see a team liking enough to take earlier. Maybe even the third, depending on how the predraft process unfolds.

Cigaro 01-21-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regoob2 (Post 3252770)
I like him as a potential DT. Get him around 290lbs and see if he can run past some OGs.

Have you actually seen him? I noticed you wanting him as a DT, and someone else as a 3-4 end, presumably because of height and weight. If you watch him on tape, he's a liability in the run game with not enough strength to anchor himself, especially not if he's 290 pounds and going against professional interior lineman. I don't see any future for him except as a 4-3 end. Goodman is an edge rusher, plain and simple, not a run stuffer. Maybe in certain packages that shift the defensive end inside he could play there, but he would never survive a long-term move inside.

regoob2 01-21-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3252780)
Have you actually seen him? I noticed you wanting him as a DT, and someone else as a 3-4 end, presumably because of height and weight. If you watch him on tape, he's a liability in the run game with not enough strength to anchor himself, especially not if he's 290 pounds and going against professional interior lineman. I don't see any future for him except as a 4-3 end. Goodman is an edge rusher, plain and simple, not a run stuffer. Maybe in certain packages that shift the defensive end inside he could play there, but he would never survive a long-term move inside.

Ya I've seen him play. I think he can be a developmental 1 gap 3 tech. He's a late rounder so I would take a flier on him. You don't have to be a run stuffer to be a DT. There are teams that pass in the NFL.

Black Bolt 01-21-2013 05:29 PM

I wonder if he could find a role in the NFL ala Chris Clemons. Chris Clemons was undrafted by the way. I don't think anyone here should be so positive that he won't amount to anything given the history of the NFL.

Cigaro 01-21-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regoob2 (Post 3252880)
Ya I've seen him play. I think he can be a developmental 1 gap 3 tech. He's a late rounder so I would take a flier on him. You don't have to be a run stuffer to be a DT. There are teams that pass in the NFL.

No, you don't have to be a 330 lb. nose tackle to play defensive tackle. But you still have to do your fair share in the run game, even as an under tackle. There's a reason why teams don't run the 4-3 using simply three defensive ends and a nose tackle as their primary defense. Goodman possesses the size to move inside for special pass rushing packages, but he does not possess the size or strength to move inside on a regular, every-down basis. He may be adequate in run support as a defensive end, but that won't cut it for a defensive tackle.

regoob2 01-21-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3252952)
No, you don't have to be a 330 lb. nose tackle to play defensive tackle. But you still have to do your fair share in the run game, even as an under tackle. There's a reason why teams don't run the 4-3 using simply three defensive ends and a nose tackle as their primary defense. Goodman possesses the size to move inside for special pass rushing packages, but he does not possess the size or strength to move inside on a regular, every-down basis. He may be adequate in run support as a defensive end, but that won't cut it for a defensive tackle.

I never said he was a ready made everydown DT if he gains weight. He has potential though. I like his skill set there.

Caulibflower 01-21-2013 10:13 PM

I don't know why some people talk about every prospect as if the only way an NFL team can use him is every single snap of every game. Defenses are becoming increasingly varied and use different personnel groupings as offenses do the same, and you're kidding yourself if you think teams only want players who are well-rounded. In Goodman you've got a rangy, unrefined prospect with obvious natural ability, inconsistency notwithstanding. Once you get past the first few rounds and the players who are viewed as potential starters early in their career have been drafted, teams turn their attention more to players who have high potential, and Goodman belongs in that category. You don't have to assassinate his character because he hasn't put up big sack numbers throughout his career. 5-star prospects can still be late bloomers. He's had some pretty good defensive ends playing ahead of him, too. He also played special teams in college.

Black Bolt 01-21-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3253207)
I don't know why some people talk about every prospect as if the only way an NFL team can use him is every single snap of every game. Defenses are becoming increasingly varied and use different personnel groupings as offenses do the same, and you're kidding yourself if you think teams only want players who are well-rounded. In Goodman you've got a rangy, unrefined prospect with obvious natural ability, inconsistency notwithstanding. Once you get past the first few rounds and the players who are viewed as potential starters early in their career have been drafted, teams turn their attention more to players who have high potential, and Goodman belongs in that category. You don't have to assassinate his character because he hasn't put up big sack numbers throughout his career. 5-star prospects can still be late bloomers. He's had some pretty good defensive ends playing ahead of him, too. He also played special teams in college.

Agreed. Looks like Philly may be interested.

CollegeFan 01-21-2013 11:29 PM

Looked pretty damn awesome in that LSU game

Big Bird 01-22-2013 12:06 PM

I didn't think he was as bad as somebody else said against the run.

You can see that ridiculous length on tape. His arms are just ridiculously long. Goodman's problem is that he isn't overly explosive or athletic. He's just solid. His bend is solid, not great. Nothing really stands out about his play. I actually thought he always did a really nice job though on stunts to the inside and crashing down the line to make plays on the run.

His body type kind of reminds me of Ray Edwards (again, a guy in the NFL who I always thought was just solid. Got very overrated at one point). It's tricky with Goodman because you can see enough talent to be a solid base LDE in a 43, and that should be worthy of a 3rd (because really, how many starters come from each draft class?). But, his on-field production just wasn't there overall.

SuperPacker 01-22-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth96 (Post 3253597)
nothing good ever came out of clemson.

CJ Spiller wants words with you.

Black Bolt 01-22-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3253600)

So does Chris Clemons.

Wootylicous 01-22-2013 02:34 PM

Brian Dawkins.

Don Vito 01-22-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bolt (Post 3253626)
So does Chris Clemons.

Although his last name bears a striking resemblance to Clemson, Chris Clemons went to UGA.

asdf1223 01-22-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 3253636)
Although his last name bears a striking resemblance to Clemson, Chris Clemons went to UGA.

Hehe, the "other" Chris Clemons, S Dolphins.

killxswitch 01-22-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3253600)

Dwayne Allen, AKA the future best TE in the NFL.

Don Vito 01-22-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf1223 (Post 3253639)
Hehe, the "other" Chris Clemons, S Dolphins.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

CollegeFan 01-22-2013 04:55 PM

Didn't look too impressive in the 1 on 1s today.