Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   NFL Team Salary by position (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55475)

Razor 01-31-2013 07:51 AM

NFL Team Salary by position

The Guardian has developed this pretty awesome tool for us.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/inte...gland-patriots

iowatreat54 01-31-2013 11:40 AM

You really just have to laugh at the Tampa Bay offense. 4 players tying up about $43M in salaray, 3 of which are Guards, putting those 4 players at more expensive than the entire Raiders and Colts offenses. How are Tampa Bay fans not irrate over this? What a joke.

Also, Chicago with the 5th highest offensive salaries. Looking closer, giant circles for Cutler, Forte, Marshall...little tiny circles for our OL. Yup, sounds about right.

bigbluedefense 01-31-2013 11:43 AM

Giants are 24th on offense. Sounds about right. I hate overpaying for offensive talent. As long as we have Eli, we'll be alright. He'll make it work.

Defense is 2nd. Way too much money into one of the worst ranked defenses in the NFL. A lot of that is Perry Fewell being a turd, but it also has to do with aging players. Some bad contracts too.

Bucs147 01-31-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowatreat54 (Post 3261195)
You really just have to laugh at the Tampa Bay offense. 4 players tying up about $43M in salaray, 3 of which are Guards, putting those 4 players at more expensive than the entire Raiders and Colts offenses. How are Tampa Bay fans not irrate over this? What a joke.

We had/have a lot of cap space, so Dominik typically frontloads deals he signs because it would be pointless to have that much cap space and not use it. Both Carl Nicks and Vincent Jackson also restructure their contracts during the last few weeks of the season. Nicks' cap figure will go from $15.436 M this year to $3.072M in 2013 while Jackson's will go from $15.43M to $3.472 M. Meanwhile, Davin Joseph cap hit will be $6M next season instead of $9.5M. While Jeremy Zuttah's (who plays center, not guard) contract doesn't have a similar frontloaded structure, he's only getting guaranteed money during the first two years of his contract. After next year, he can be easily cut without any cap penalties.

So to sumarize things, the Bucs spent a lot of money this year because they had the cap space to do so. By doing so, they saved money for the next few seasons. If/When they cut Quincy Black and Eric Wright, they have about $40M in cap room this offseason. Nicks and Jackson figures are huge, but you have to pay to get talent like that and those figures will go down. That's what Bucs fans have no worries about their cap management.

zachsaints52 01-31-2013 12:32 PM

Its funny that teams like Jacksonville, Carolina, Detroit, Chicago, Tampa, Tennessee, and Kansas City are paying more for their offenses than the Saints :D

Than I see teams like Seattle, Arizona, Houston, Washington, and others spend less on defense than us :(

brat316 01-31-2013 02:09 PM

damnnn Steelers maybe if you spend some money on that offense it wouldn't blow.

That defense is vastly over paid as well. I really want to cut James Harrison.

But from the general looks of it, the more money that is spent on defense is well worth it. Top 7 in spending usually have the best defenses.

On the offensive side it doesn't hold true.

mightytitan9 01-31-2013 02:16 PM

Titans 2nd most expensive offense. Sounds about right, as we easily have the 2nd best offense in the league

bigbuc 01-31-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowatreat54 (Post 3261195)

Also, Chicago with the 5th highest offensive salaries. Looking closer, giant circles for Cutler, Forte, Marshall...little tiny circles for our OL. Yup, sounds about right.

Dude we still have 30 million in cap room. Almost 40 when we cut Black and Wright. Top 5 in cap space. So kick it. Plus we got Nicks and Vjax in FA so you know they're going to make paper.

Bengalsrocket 01-31-2013 05:27 PM

This is a really cool interactive web design. If you set the Colts offense up against the Broncos defense, it looks like a pee-wee team playing a highschool team lol. The Colts are paying 6.5m for their receivers, and that's their most expensive position on offense. The cheapest position on the Broncos is their defensive tackles at 5 million.

Taber21 02-01-2013 09:44 PM

Oakland last in defence, second last in offence, first in special teams, last in overall payroll yet they still have limited cap space. The lingering effects of Al Davis?

nobodyinparticular 02-01-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taber21 (Post 3262606)
Oakland last in defence, second last in offence, first in special teams, last in overall payroll yet they still have limited cap space. The lingering effects of Al Davis?

Yes. A crap ton of their cap is dead cap right now. Jamarcus Russell, Kamerion Wimbley, Stanford Routt to name a few.

This offseason should have Richard Seymour, Tommy Kelly and Rolando McClain adding to that dead cap space.

The first thing I noticed what how far behind the rest of the league the Raiders were in both offense and defense.

And yes, they are well ahead of the average in ST. Lechler won't be back though.

Taber21 02-01-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular (Post 3262610)
Yes. A crap ton of their cap is dead cap right now. Jamarcus Russell, Kamerion Wimbley, Stanford Routt to name a few.

This offseason should have Richard Seymour, Tommy Kelly and Rolando McClain adding to that dead cap space.

The first thing I noticed what how far behind the rest of the league the Raiders were in both offense and defense.

And yes, they are well ahead of the average in ST. Lechler won't be back though.

Haha ya I know, it was a rhetorical question. My roommate is a Raiders fan so I get to here all about their terrible cap situation quite frequently, makes me laugh every time I think about it though.