Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Look Back At Who YOU Wanted For Your Team (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55540)

mightytitan9 02-04-2013 12:10 PM

Look Back At Who YOU Wanted For Your Team

This is supposed to be a fun thread to look back on players you wanted your team to select, and they chose elsewhere. This can be a player that would have turned out great, or one that wouldn't have.

In 2002, I wanted Ed Reed for the Titans instead of Albert Haynesworth.
Outcome: Albert was one of the best DT's in the NFL for about 3 seasons, but Ed Reed has been one of the best FS's ever in the NFL. In addition, we have received inconsistent FS ever since.

In 2005, my favorite player in that draft was Antrel Rolle. We selected Pacman Jones and in a few years he was gone due to off the field issues.
Outcome: While Rolle hasn't became the player I thought he would, he's still a very good player. Pacman was on his way to becoming one of the best CBs in the game, but you have to think back now that Rolle would have been the better selection

In 2007, I really wanted Dwayne Bowe. We selected Michael Griffin. Outcome: Both were areas of needs and both have turned into good players. I think the edge would go to Bowe.

In 2011, I wanted DE/DT JJ Watt. We selected QB Jake Locker.
Outcome: Watt is one of the best defensive players in the NFL while Locker has been up and down throughout his career, he has looked really good at times, but also awful at times. Graded out right now, JJ Watt would have been the selection

vidae 02-04-2013 12:12 PM

I've had a pretty good run the last few years.

In 2010 I wanted Berry or McClain. In 2011 I wanted Phil Taylor, but we ended up with Jon Baldwin. barf. In 2012 I wanted Poe or Tannehill if he fell. Before that I was wrong pretty much every year the Chiefs have existed, so yay me.

Monomach 02-04-2013 12:22 PM

I have one of these that stands out way above the rest of mine.

In 2009, I really wanted to use a mid-round pick on Arian Foster to be the change-of-pace for Matt Forte. I beat that drum for a couple of months, right up to the draft.

Of course in 2007, I was salivating over Brady Quinn, so whatever.

holt_bruce81 02-04-2013 12:23 PM

In 2006, I wanted Cromartie. We took Tye Hill.

In 2007 I really wanted Patrick Willis but he didn't make it to our pick. I actually really liked Eric Weddle that year. Rams took Adam Carriker.

In 2008 I wanted Chris Long

2009 I wanted Aaron Curry. We took Jason Smith. Both bust.

2011 I REALLY wanted Aldon Smith but he was selected 7th overall (ha, I remember Niner fans complaining that it was a reach) our pick, I wanted Quinn or Jimmy Smith

K Train 02-04-2013 12:34 PM

In 2007 i wanted Timmons or Spencer, we got timmons...id say he has an edge over spencer in terms of their careers thus far. We got woodley that year who turned out to be everything the cowboys wished spencer was. there were HARD rumors of the steelers targeting Revis or Carriker, both players i HATED....lol

in 09 i wanted michael oher so bad i could have cried when he kept slipping and they made no effort to move up...they ended up with evander hood who is an abortion of a DE

in 2010 i wanted pouncey, i got pouncey...im happy with pouncey. I really wanted golden tate or mt. cody in round 2, they took worilds who is ******* terrible. I was in love with thad gibson that year too, we drafted him but he didnt make the team very long :-( so aaron smith could stay off IR but not play. Though he was a project, but one worth hanging onto. I lovvveeddd al woods that year too but the saints drafted him, but the steelers did end up with him off waivers, this is a make or break year for him

in 2011 i wanted heyward and i got heyward....i also wanted curtis brown and marcus gilbert and i got them too

Pit Bull #53 02-04-2013 12:47 PM

A few of mine that I actually remember:

Jay Cutler over Vince Young. No question who the better player is, although Cutler can be maddeningly inconsistent...at least he's still in the league and at times playing at a high level. (I wanted Reggie Bush over everyone, but he obviously went before our pick).

Carlos Rogers over Pacman. Pacman was really good for a couple years before he got into all his trouble. Rogers has been solid.

Robert Meachem (lawl homer) or Dwayne Bowe over Michael Griffin. Bowe would be the obvious choice here, in my opinion.

David DeCastro over Kendall Wright. I think all Titans fans wanted this to happen.

Don Vito 02-04-2013 12:55 PM

I almost cried when the Pats could've had Michael Oher and Clay Matthews but we traded back. That's the one that sticks out the most. At least that resulted in us drafting Darius Butler.

Wootylicous 02-04-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 3265287)
I almost cried when the Pats could've had Michael Oher and Clay Matthews but we traded back. That's the one that sticks out the most. At least that resulted in us drafting Darius Butler.

Gosh. I really wanted Clay. In the second round we drafted Vollmer I was soooo mad. Glad I was not right about him but still. Just imagine Clay on the pats :(

zachsaints52 02-04-2013 12:57 PM

The main one I remember HATING for the Saints is us getting Jonathan Sullivan :/

Matthew Jones 02-04-2013 12:57 PM

Who I wanted in the first round of the last nine drafts based on who was available when the Patriots were on the clock, and who New England selected:

2004: Vince Wilfork/Karlos Dansby (Vince Wilfork/Ben Watson)

2005: Channing Crowder (Logan Mankins)

2006: DeMeco Ryans (Laurence Maroney)

2007: Brandon Meriweather (Brandon Meriweather)

2008: Brandon Flowers (Jerod Mayo)

2009: Rey Maualuga (Patrick Chung)

2010: Jared Odrick (Devin McCourty)

2011: Cameron Heyward (Nate Solder)

2012: Chandler Jones/Janoris Jenkins (Chandler Jones/Dont'a Hightower)

Overall, I think New England's picks may have been better, but I had some pretty good preferences as well, especially Dansby over Watson and Ryans over Maroney. New England's future probably wouldn't be so bright without Mankins, McCourty, or Solder though.

Wootylicous 02-04-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3265293)
Who I wanted in the first round of the last nine drafts based on who was available when the Patriots were on the clock, and who New England selected:

2004: Vince Wilfork/Karlos Dansby (Vince Wilfork/Ben Watson)

2005: Channing Crowder (Logan Mankins)

2006: DeMeco Ryans (Laurence Maroney)

2007: Brandon Meriweather (Brandon Meriweather)

2008: Brandon Flowers (Jerod Mayo)

2009: Rey Maualuga (Patrick Chung)

2010: Jared Odrick (Devin McCourty)

2011: Cameron Heyward (Nate Solder)

2012: Chandler Jones/Janoris Jenkins (Chandler Jones/Dont'a Hightower)

Overall, I think New England's picks may have been better, but I had some pretty good preferences as well, especially Dansby over Watson and Ryans over Maroney. New England's future probably wouldn't be so bright without Mankins, McCourty, or Solder though.

I wanted Kendall Reyes and Harrison Smith so bad in 2012.

Don Vito 02-04-2013 01:02 PM

I think we all wanted Chandler Jones, that is probably why we were so surprised when it actually happened. Early on in the process I thought we would draft Harrison Smith but I wasn't too fond of the idea. I ended up slightly warming to it a little later, but I still wasn't a huge fan of the idea. He looks like he is going to be the real deal.

JRTPlaya21 02-04-2013 01:10 PM

Off the top of my head in 2005 I really wanted Aaron Rodgers but of course we took two Auburn players smfh. Then in 2007 even though we had Portis I wanted Peterson so badly. 2010 I was all aboard the Eric Berry train even though offensive tackle was our biggest need.

mightytitan9 02-04-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 3265254)
I have one of these that stands out way above the rest of mine.

In 2009, I really wanted to use a mid-round pick on Arian Foster to be the change-of-pace for Matt Forte. I beat that drum for a couple of months, right up to the draft.

Of course in 2007, I was salivating over Brady Quinn, so whatever.

I wanted Arian Foster as a late round selection as well. Last year, it was Bryce Brown and it's looking like he may have been a wise late rounder as well. Although, I doubt he hits Foster's level

fenikz 02-04-2013 01:14 PM

2012 DeCastro
2011 PP7
2010 JPP/Jerry Hughes/Dan Williams/Daryl Washington
2009 Aaron Maybin/Beanie Wells/LeSean McCoy

yo123 02-04-2013 01:18 PM

2009- Wanted Oher, took Harvin
2010- Wanted Jimmy Clausen (lolz), took Chris Cook
2011- Wanted Nick Fairley, took Ponder
2012- Wanted Kalil or Claiborne, took Kalil

gpngc 02-04-2013 01:19 PM

Last night reminded me of 2009 when the Seahawks to Curry over Crabtree. Probably the worst draft pick the Seahawks have made since I've been a fan.

Shane P. Hallam 02-04-2013 01:28 PM

Everyone is so smart!

JRTPlaya21 02-04-2013 01:28 PM

Man I was convinced Curry was the safest pick of that draft. Boy was I wrong.

Nastradamus 02-04-2013 01:30 PM

I desperately wanted Randall Cobb over Titus YOung. Didn't even think the Lions would take a WR and didn't really know about Titus' character problems, so thats not a factor here. I just loved Cobb and his combination of toughness and explosiveness.

I really wanted my Lions to get Lavonte David last year too but it didn't line up right.

Wanted ALbert over Cherilus, but that one doesn't break my heart.

jrdrylie 02-04-2013 01:30 PM

2003: I really wanted Byron Leftwich.

I starter really following the draft in 2007, so I'll start there:

2007: For the Jaguars, I was so pissed they based on Brady Quinn. I had a sports blog going at the time and I wrote that passing on Quinn was their ticket to LA.

2008: I loved Branden Albert and Jamaal Charles. Instead we got Chris Williams. Matt Forte is good, but I'm not sure Charles wouldn't have been better.

2009: I was really hoping Kenny Britt would fall to Chicago in the second round, but it didn't happen. I also really like Michael Johnson and was pissed when the Bears picked Jarron Gilbert over him.

2010: I loved Morgan Burnett.

2011: I was hoping Jacksonville would have a chance to draft Julio Jones. I thought he was the best receiver in the draft. For the Bears, I wanted Derrek Sherrod, Stephen Paea, and Torrey Smith.

2012: I think I was the only person who actually liked Brock Osweiler. I didn't really want him, I just really liked him. Who I did want was David DeCastro, Mohammed Sanu, TY Hilton (more for the Jags than the Bears), and Josh Robinson. Instead I got Shea McCllelin, a saftey who spent the entire year on IR, and a fullback.

bucfan12 02-04-2013 01:33 PM

Bucs:
2005: Wanted Aaron Rodgers. Got Caddilac Williams. ME: 1....Tampa: 0
2006: Wanted Chad Jackson....Got Davin Joseph: Me:0 Tampa: 1
2007: Wanted to trade up for Calvin Johsnon and it was realistic and Detroit had a deal worked out. We took Gaines Adams and neglected to trade down. Me 1....Tampa 0
2008: Wanted Mike Jenkins....Got Aqib Talib....Toss up.
2009: Wanted Josh Freeman.....got Josh Freeman....BOTH FAIL!
2010: Wanted Gerald McCoy....got Gerald McCoy. WIN
2011: Was really hoping to move up for Ryan Kerrigan, but my fall-back option Clayborn. So it's a toss up.
2012: Wanted Morris Claiborne....got Mark Barron. We'll see on this one.

Monomach 02-04-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3265334)
Everyone is so smart!

I know, right? Seems like no one ever liked a huge bust!

vidae 02-04-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam (Post 3265334)
Everyone is so smart!

I'm wrong way way way more often than I'm right. I wanted Aaron Curry so bad that year and we got Tyson Jackson instead. I guess I prefer Tyson now, but it is PRETTTTTTTY close.

Leon Sandcastle 02-04-2013 02:09 PM

Wanted Rob Gronkowski over Torrell Troup. Still stings.