Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Kevin Kolb; can the Cards win with him (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55560)

J-Mike88 02-05-2013 09:03 PM

Kevin Kolb; can the Cards win with him

If he somehow stays healthy and plays a full season?

Babylon 02-05-2013 09:12 PM

I still think they're the 4th best team in that division Kolb or no Kolb.

I think if you sign a Jake Long and an Alex Smith then concentrate defense through the draft they might be something. Not sure what kind of money they have to spend there.

brat316 02-05-2013 09:31 PM

If clay hadn't given him a concussion while he was with the Eagles maybe.

J-Mike88 02-05-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3266870)
I still think they're the 4th best team in that division Kolb or no Kolb.

I think if you sign a Jake Long and an Alex Smith then concentrate defense through the draft they might be something. Not sure what kind of money they have to spend there.

Which Alex Smith?

The 49ers are most likely gonna trade Smith, not just set him free.
And they probably won't trade him to Arizona within their division.

It's gotta be Kansas City or Cleveland.
For Chiefs fans sake, I hope Reid doesn't fall in love with the idea of Geno Smith.

fenikz 02-05-2013 10:03 PM

we were 4-1 with him, so probably

mightytitan9 02-05-2013 10:07 PM

They don't have money for Long right now

fenikz 02-05-2013 10:09 PM

could easily free it up but I prefer Fisher

bigbuc 02-05-2013 10:33 PM

Zone needs Long and Fisher.

fenikz 02-05-2013 10:38 PM

that would be a complete waste

Fisher Colledge Sendlein Brown Massie would be an entirely adequate line

PACKmanN 02-05-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 3266953)
that would be a complete waste

Fisher Colledge Sendlein Brown Massie would be an entirely adequate line

Colledge is a horrible run blocker and an average pass blocker who you guys overpaid because of need

fenikz 02-05-2013 10:47 PM

he was actually very decent last year

nepg 02-05-2013 10:48 PM

The Cardinals are in a position where I think they go for the LT and see how the draft falls. They'll win games with Kolb healthy. They're in a position where they need to just get Fisher in the first round, get a TE or two and hope to land a QB in the 2-5 rounds that can compete with Kolb & Hoyer.

fenikz 02-05-2013 10:51 PM

Why do we need a TE? Housler is a beast and there are a million #2 guys to be had every year in FA and rounds 5-7, including Jeff King & Jim Dray

gpngc 02-05-2013 11:13 PM

They can but the division is ******* BRUTAL.

Everyone knows about San Fran and Seattle but St. Louis quietly had a very nice year. They have a hell of a coach, some really good young pieces, a bevy of upcoming draft picks, and if their QB can get some help to make The Leap, they could be a very good team.

And I guarantee they take Eddie Lacy in the draft to improve their running game.

vidae 02-05-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mike88 (Post 3266902)
Which Alex Smith?

The 49ers are most likely gonna trade Smith, not just set him free.
And they probably won't trade him to Arizona within their division.

It's gotta be Kansas City or Cleveland.
For Chiefs fans sake, I hope Reid doesn't fall in love with the idea of Geno Smith.

I hope he does. Giving up a draft pick for Alex Smith would be the height of stupidity and I guarantee you that the Chiefs don't win dick with him at QB. No thanks.

FUNBUNCHER 02-05-2013 11:34 PM

I don't like Kolb, but damn at least give the man a competent oline to play behind so we can know once and for all if he has the ability to be a quality starter.

Caulibflower 02-06-2013 01:54 AM

Jury's still out. I'm not going to pound the table for him, but I don't think we've seen his ceiling by a long shot. Point being, as pertains to the draft, he's good enough that the Cards should probably focus first on improving their offensive line. Maybe take one of the second or third round quarterbacks, because clearly they need more talent at the position, but Arizona's slide last year had very little to do with Kolb being unable to win games. They couldn't keep him in games. So can they win with him? I think yes. Whether he can or will stay healthy is a whole 'nother issue, and at this point one that seems to pose a greater threat to his career than his (supposed lack of) talent.

J-Mike88 02-06-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3266984)
I hope he does. Giving up a draft pick for Alex Smith would be the height of stupidity and I guarantee you that the Chiefs don't win dick with him at QB. No thanks.

So your feelings on Alex are clear here.
Let me see your clear feelings on Geno's future. This might become sig-worthy.

I will go on record and say he's not even close to a franchise QB.

Brodeur 02-06-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

If it's a third rounder or less, I'd gladly take it over Geno. Or really, Alex Smith over any QB in this draft.

H.O.O.D 02-06-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nepg (Post 3266960)
The Cardinals are in a position where I think they go for the LT and see how the draft falls. They'll win games with Kolb healthy. They're in a position where they need to just get Fisher in the first round, get a TE or two and hope to land a QB in the 2-5 rounds that can compete with Kolb & Hoyer.

They may have to move UP for a LT in the first round. No guarantees Fisher falls into their laps with Philly and Detroit in front of them and the possibility of being leapfrogged by Miami or San Diego. Those 4 teams (and possibly KC) could all be in the mix for a LT.

K Train 02-06-2013 10:57 AM

i dont think so, i would expect them to find their guy this season. Barkley is probably exactly what arians wants.

They will 100% sign willie colon once he is released, if they sign jake long they could really take a step forward.

Barkley would do well with fitz and floyd, they need ryan williams to step up or they need to replace him. Not sure hes cut out for the league personally

I like their defense, i think its got a lot of studs on it it just hasnt gotten any help from the offense. Im sure they will raid the steelers for cuts and FAs though..probably keenan lewis and willie colon

descendency 02-06-2013 10:59 AM

The Ravens won with Trent Dilfer. So, yeah.

Monomach 02-06-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

The people who want you guys to trade for Alex Smith are probably the same people who wanted you to trade for Matt Cassell. I think Smith would be a little better...Chad Pennington 2.0...but he's not going to do much other than push you a closer to .500.

As for the Kolb/Cards discussion, I think he can't be disregarded as trash until they give him a year with an O line. He has the wideouts he needs, but he needs time to throw and a reduced chance of getting smashed onto IR.

I do think Arians intends to badger the GM into drafting "his guy" to compete with Kolb, though.

fenikz 02-06-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.O.O.D (Post 3267201)
They may have to move UP for a LT in the first round. No guarantees Fisher falls into their laps with Philly and Detroit in front of them and the possibility of being leapfrogged by Miami or San Diego. Those 4 teams (and possibly KC) could all be in the mix for a LT.

Lane Johnson is the worst case scenario and I honestly wouldn't mind

bigbluedefense 02-06-2013 01:08 PM

Theoretically you can win with anyone. But that doesn't make it a good idea. Kevin Kolb isn't a good idea.