Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Courtney Gardner, WR, Sierra College (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55567)

Bobby Layne 02-06-2013 03:23 PM

Courtney Gardner, WR, Sierra College

Interesting prospect that committed to go to OU in 2012 and LSU in 2013 but didnít qualify either time. After not qualifying the second time he decided to enter the Draft.

Any chance he gets drafted despite not playing beyond the JUCO level?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/886350/#highlights/2311422

Don Vito 02-06-2013 03:28 PM

I don't know much about the guy I'll be honest. I think a few players have been drafted in similar situations, Larry Brackins comes to mind.

mightytitan9 02-06-2013 03:55 PM

Really doubt it. as Don Vito mentioned, Larry Brackins couldn't translate.

Linebacker from Hutch tried it a while ago, 6'2" 235 4.4 40 and didnt make it to NFL.

If he's pretty polished he could be drafted, if he can run routes but it's hard to get a polished WR from Juco

descendency 02-06-2013 04:17 PM

If he runs fast (like low 4.3 or faster), he might get drafted. But anything else would probably be just a phone call after the draft (or after someone goes down in camp).

Bobby Layne 02-06-2013 05:34 PM

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=6730

villagewarrior 02-07-2013 02:35 AM

Joe Horn is probably the only JUCO guy I can think of that actually produced in the League. He was a blazer. Still upset the Chiefs let him go.

Attyla the Hawk 02-07-2013 12:31 PM

Seahawks have been reported as having checked him out on multiple occasions.

Seattle has 6 picks in rounds 5-7. I can see him being one of them. I can also see them laying the foundation to pick him up Doug Baldwin style in UDFA.

Black Bolt 02-07-2013 01:19 PM

This guy has some sick YAC yardage.

lod01 02-07-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Layne (Post 3267549)
Interesting prospect that committed to go to OU in 2012 and LSU in 2013 but didnít qualify either time. After not qualifying the second time he decided to enter the Draft.

Any chance he gets drafted despite not playing beyond the JUCO level?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/886350/#highlights/2311422

LOL at how bad those 'football' players were trying to tackle him.

nepg 02-07-2013 07:26 PM

He looks slow.

BallerT1215 02-07-2013 08:36 PM

I'll pass. The gametape is nothing impressive and the competition looks like they want the kid to score....plus add in the fact the kid could not get out of Juco on two tries due to academics...kid cant read...

nofalcons10 03-12-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Courtney Gardner the JUCO WR from Sierra College has four scheduled workouts with #Patriots #Dolphins #Jets #Panthers
https://twitter.com/CG_Equals_TD

Norcal3518 03-12-2013 11:21 PM

I dont get this kid at all. I saw him play in high school at Hug out of Nevada. The game I saw him in he looked legit. He committed to Nevada and couldnt make grades and be eligible to even get into the college. Then I believe he struggled to even make grades while at Sierra. Then has one great year in JC and now all the top D1 schools show him interest and he still cant get his grades up. I could see the Seahawks wasting a late pick on him but honestly I dont know if he will ever make it. I dont think he has the heart to make. He is going to have to put in some effort to make a team it wont be handed to him.
I really hate seeing kids like him succeed. It makes me feel bad for all those kids that bust their rear ends trying to make it.

FUNBUNCHER 03-13-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcal3518 (Post 3299781)
I dont get this kid at all. I saw him play in high school at Hug out of Nevada. The game I saw him in he looked legit. He committed to Nevada and couldnt make grades and be eligible to even get into the college. Then I believe he struggled to even make grades while at Sierra. Then has one great year in JC and now all the top D1 schools show him interest and he still cant get his grades up. I could see the Seahawks wasting a late pick on him but honestly I dont know if he will ever make it. I dont think he has the heart to make. He is going to have to put in some effort to make a team it wont be handed to him.
I really hate seeing kids like him succeed. It makes me feel bad for all those kids that bust their rear ends trying to make it.

You're talking like you know this kid is lazy. Maybe he just isn't that smart, in which case whatever he accomplishes in life is a milestone.
Just speculating, but usually guys who can't qualify academically on more than one try are busting their butts to get it done in the classroom and in many cases simply lack the raw intellectual tools to get it done. Or have some type of learning disability.

I feel bad for him because if he struggles this hard with his academics, how is he going to remember to run the correct routes in the NFL??

Norcal3518 03-13-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3299933)
You're talking like you know this kid is lazy. Maybe he just isn't that smart, in which case whatever he accomplishes in life is a milestone.
Just speculating, but usually guys who can't qualify academically on more than one try are busting their butts to get it done in the classroom and in many cases simply lack the raw intellectual tools to get it done. Or have some type of learning disability.

I feel bad for him because if he struggles this hard with his academics, how is he going to remember to run the correct routes in the NFL??

Is it really that difficult to pass general education classes? Its not like this kid was trying to get into Stanford or an ivy league school. All he had to do was pass his classes. He had 3.5 years to do it. If you want to make excuses for him go ahead. But it doesnt take a genius to pass basic classes. There is so much help out there with tutoring and studying. IDK dont get me wrong this kid has all the physical tools i just dont know if i would want to take a kid that failed to get his basic education done. How will I know this kid can study an NFL playbook in a few weeks.

Norcal3518 03-13-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3299933)

Is it really that difficult to pass general education classes? Its not like this kid was trying to get into Stanford or an ivy league school. All he had to do was pass his classes. He had 3.5 years to do it. If you want to make excuses for him go ahead. But it doesnt take a genius to pass basic classes. There is so much help out there with tutoring and studying. IDK dont get me wrong this kid has all the physical tools i just dont know if i would want to take a kid that failed to get his basic education done. How will I know this kid can study an NFL playbook in a few weeks.

MikeTheDudeV2 03-14-2013 02:11 AM

Sounds like he could be amazing, but he will definitely need a position coach with infinite patience. I think his general lack of focus and possibly intelligence will hold him back from ever amounting to anything in the NFL. But I am hoping I am wrong.

BallerT1215 03-16-2013 09:55 PM

"Sierra College WR Courtney Gardner has a private workout with the New York Jets.
Gardner was expected to land at Oklahoma but academic problems forced him to declare for the NFL. He is 6'3", 215 pounds and is smooth in and out of his cuts. He once recorded a 10.7 second 100 meter run"

FUNBUNCHER 03-16-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcal3518 (Post 3300613)

You've never met a genuinely dumb person?? I mean someone who was born with limited intellectual capacity and that's just who they were??

Yeah for the average guy if they put in more work they'll get better results in the classroom, but sometimes you're dealing with a case where someone's brain just doesn't have the juice to get it done in the classroom.

Just speculating he might have more issues going on academically than simply not applying himself.

So how do you fit a guy with his physical tools into your offense???