Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Alex Okafor, DE, Texas (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55616)

RCAChainGang 02-11-2013 07:36 PM

Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

I would like to get some opinions on this guy. With the Colts switching to a 3-4 it is much harder for me to identify whether a player works for the team. I would like to know if you guys think he could play standing up at an OLB spot. I know this probably isn't the best spot for him, but I was just curious.

thetedginnshow 02-11-2013 07:48 PM

He stood up a lot this past season for the Longhorns. He seemed just fine.

J-Mike88 02-11-2013 07:49 PM

Good player.

RCAChainGang 02-11-2013 07:54 PM

Yeah I know he isn't rated as a first on everyone's boards, but he just seems like a solid defensive guy. I'm probably higher on him than most. I just don't know if he fits with the Colts.

K Train 02-11-2013 08:26 PM

id like him for the steelers 34 a lot

thetedginnshow 02-11-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCAChainGang (Post 3271767)
Yeah I know he isn't rated as a first on everyone's boards, but he just seems like a solid defensive guy. I'm probably higher on him than most. I just don't know if he fits with the Colts.

Well I'd be fine with him at #9, so...

ChiFan24 02-11-2013 09:17 PM

Based on the super scientific method of watching 10 minutes of Youtube clips, he's totally useless against the run, sucks at using his hands, and unless he beat the OT immediately off the snap, he was easily controlled. Doesn't seem very fluid. OTOH, he has a pretty impressive get-off and he's listed at 6-5 260, so there's plenty to work with. Still gonna have to lol at first round suggestions until I see more tape (which I probably won't bother doing, but I digress).

Iamcanadian 02-12-2013 10:29 PM

A solid 2nd rounder but not expected to be really special but will likely be an eventual starter in the NFL.

diabsoule 02-14-2013 11:11 PM

I don't see him as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Struggles a bit in space, can't change direction all that well, and too easily gives up if he's controlled by the OL. When I watch him I see Ray Edwards.

TACKLE 02-14-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 3273987)
I don't see him as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. Struggles a bit in space, can't change direction all that well, and too easily gives up if he's controlled by the OL. When I watch him I see Ray Edwards.

He bends much better than Ray Edwards.

FUNBUNCHER 02-15-2013 12:56 AM

I think he's a better conversion prospect at 34 OLB than Brian Orakpo was.

Byrd430 02-15-2013 05:40 PM

Okafor projects much better as a LDE in a 4-3 scheme. That's not to say that he can't play as a 3-4 OLB, but he would bring only average athleticism when playing in space. He can drop back into coverage as long as he's not asked to do too much.

Okafor, for me, is more of a project player. Whoever drafts him will need to work with him to develop him into a dependable starter - he'll need to be more consistent with his hands, add another move or two to his pass rush repertoire, and learn how to fight off blockers once he gets engaged. While he has been below average against the run, he has displayed the ability to set the edge and get into the backfield.

My biggest concern is that he appears to be a very hot/cold guy - Projects need to have a good motor and high motivation and I'm not sure this guy has that.