Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Where Do You Have E.J. Manuel Now? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55870)

shylo3716 03-05-2013 03:31 PM

Where Do You Have E.J. Manuel Now?
 
How do you like him after his Combine workouts?

Menardo75 03-05-2013 03:58 PM

Probably near the end of the QB rankings right before Landry Jones. Too mechanical of a release, and can't adjust his motion. Can't make any of the throws consistently with accuracy unless everything goes right which rarely happens in the NFL.

raphael 03-05-2013 04:02 PM

Everyone hammers Manuel on accuracy, but I think his career % is right there with Sam Bradford. Better than Ponder on the same team. I think he was up around 67% for his career. Matt Stafford was under 60%.

DeepThreat 03-05-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael (Post 3292431)
Everyone hammers Manuel on accuracy, but I think his career % is right there with Sam Bradford. Better than Ponder on the same team. I think he was up around 67% for his career. Matt Stafford was under 60%.

Completion percentage does not at all equate to accuracy, especially at the college level.

I have Manuel behind Geno, Wilson, Dysert, Barkley and Glennon.

Menardo75 03-05-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael (Post 3292431)
Everyone hammers Manuel on accuracy, but I think his career % is right there with Sam Bradford. Better than Ponder on the same team. I think he was up around 67% for his career. Matt Stafford was under 60%.

And that's great, but the point is he can't adjust his throwing motion when he is on the run or when he gets pressure on him and throw accurately. You can get away with that in college, but you won't be able to in the NFL.

raphael 03-05-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepThreat (Post 3292434)
Completion percentage does not at all equate to accuracy.

:confuse: Accuracy IS competion percentage.

raphael 03-05-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menardo75 (Post 3292435)
And that's great, but the point is he can't adjust his throwing motion when he is on the run or when he gets pressure on him and throw accurately. You can get away with that in college, but you won't be able to in the NFL.

Well, I imagine that it would be tougher for him to do those things at the pro level, but he will also be older, better coached, more experienced, etc. It's the same game. No different than for anyone else. You can say that Smith won't be able to do the same things as a pro, or Barkley, or any one of them. They all will have to get quicker, smarter, and make adjustments.

jrdrylie 03-05-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael (Post 3292451)
:confuse: Accuracy IS competion percentage.

No it isn't. Tim Tebow completed two-thirds of his passes in college and is the most inaccurate QB in NFL history.

Scott Wright 03-05-2013 04:23 PM

I am actually liking the Manuel option more and more as the process goes on.

After Smith and Barkley all of the quarterbacks in this class have big question marks. If I'm going to go out on a limb I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather just swing for the fences with Manuel.

raphael 03-05-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3292460)
No it isn't. Tim Tebow completed two-thirds of his passes in college and is the most inaccurate QB in NFL history.

So what makes him "the most inaccurate QB in NFL history"? The fact that he has a sub 50% COMPLETION RATE, perhaps? Can't have it both ways.

Menardo75 03-05-2013 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael (Post 3292455)
Well, I imagine that it would be tougher for him to do those things at the pro level, but he will also be older, better coached, more experienced, etc. It's the same game. No different than for anyone else. You can say that Smith won't be able to do the same things as a pro, or Barkley, or any one of them. They all will have to get quicker, smarter, and make adjustments.

For me I guess it's just one of those things that he has been doing it for so long that I don't see someone having the patience for him or him even being able to naturally adjust his motion and adapt. And we haven't even covered that he has only been healthy for one full season in college.

Monomach 03-05-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael (Post 3292451)
:confuse: Accuracy IS competion percentage.


raphael 03-05-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3292461)
I am actually liking the Manuel option more and more as the process goes on.

After Smith and Barkley all of the quarterbacks in this class have big question marks. If I'm going to go out on a limb I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather just swing for the fences with Manuel.

I think the average starting QB salary is about double the average for the next highest paid position. E J only has to be "half as good", or "double the risk", to justify the same draft pick as a player from another position. Triple in some cases.

Menardo75 03-05-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael (Post 3292464)
So what makes him "the most inaccurate QB in NFL history"? The fact that he has a sub 50% COMPLETION RATE, perhaps? Can't have it both ways.

The accuracy stat is really just a numerical value to try and help gauge the effectiveness of a QB. It does not in any way tell the whole story. The only way to know is to watch the film. Tebow is one of the most inaccurate QB's in NFL history. Watch one game that he played in it will tell you that more than any numbers can.

Black Bolt 03-05-2013 04:38 PM

He's the 2nd best QB in the draft to Geno Smith and I've said that before combine and the senior bowl (far more upside than Matt Barkley). I've seen him play at Bayside for years prior to going to the NFL. He was a member of the elite 11 along with Glennon, Luck, Jones, Jacory Harris, Sean Renfree, Dane Crist and Blaine Gabbert. I find it a little curious how so many people here claim they never heard of him.

jrdrylie 03-05-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael (Post 3292464)
So what makes him "the most inaccurate QB in NFL history"? The fact that he has a sub 50% COMPLETION RATE, perhaps? Can't have it both ways.

No, I know he is horribly inaccurate because of passes like this.


Bob Sanders Dreadlock 03-05-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael (Post 3292464)
So what makes him "the most inaccurate QB in NFL history"? The fact that he has a sub 50% COMPLETION RATE, perhaps? Can't have it both ways.

Apparently you have not watched him play. Here let me help you this is a good starting point...

raphael 03-05-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menardo75 (Post 3292477)
The accuracy stat is really just a numerical value to try and help gauge the effectiveness of a QB. It does not in any way tell the whole story. The only way to know is to watch the film. Tebow is one of the most inaccurate QB's in NFL history. Watch one game that he played in it will tell you that more than any numbers can.

Whatever. Numbers lie, but you guys see all with unprecedented clarity.:njx:

raphael 03-05-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 3292483)
Apparently you have not watched him play. Here let me help you this is a good starting point...

If I was bored and had nothing better to do, I'd search out a hundred or so great plays and passes Tebow made in his career and post them for you. But I'm not that bored.

jrdrylie 03-05-2013 04:46 PM

Found some more




Cigaro 03-05-2013 04:51 PM

Please God don't make this a Tebow thread.

To get back on topic, the one thing I do really like about Manuel is the fact that he has all of the tools you want in a quarterback. Prototypical size, arm, athleticism, seems to have a good head on his shoulder. He throws a beautiful ball, thanks in part to his great release. The only question is how that translates to actual play.

Ideally, I'd take him in the third, but realistically I see him going in the second.

SickwithIt1010 03-05-2013 04:51 PM

EJ Manuel is nothing more than a project QB. This is the only year that he has stayed healthy during his time at FSU. People thought this was the guy who was going to set them over the top. Very robotic release, he hasn't had to throw any timing routes during his time at FSU....all of his throws are to stationary targets which I can still complete for **** sake. He is very mediocre and I would not touch him till the late 3rd or the 4th.

If someone takes him with the mindset that this guy is going to be the face of their franchise down the road they are going to be quite upset. This guy doesn't have the tools that "project" qb's like Kaepernick had...Kaepernick had elite tools to work with and landed on a team with a guy who has never failed in developing a QB.

Black Bolt 03-05-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3292488)
Found some more




LMAO! That's him.

thebow305 03-05-2013 05:17 PM

Top 40 player. Won't get past Buffalo in the 2nd round. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone trade back into the first to take him.

BallerT1215 03-05-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebow305 (Post 3292516)
Top 40 player. Won't get past Buffalo in the 2nd round. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone trade back into the first to take him.

Thats right Hurricane fan...THAT...IS...RIGHT!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.