Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   A possible job I found online you guys might be interested in (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55872)

soybean 03-05-2013 04:35 PM

A possible job I found online you guys might be interested in

Thought this might interest some of you.

Link

BuckeyeDan17 03-05-2013 04:48 PM

For a second I thought your username got compromised and this was spam from looking at the title.

Pretty cool though - I wish I used twitter

Brent 03-05-2013 05:38 PM

I wonder what the salary is.

CashmoneyDrew 03-05-2013 05:46 PM

I wonder why it's only for 7 months.

StickSkills 03-05-2013 08:22 PM

Hmm, sent that link to my friend. She's graduating in May and was the PR Officer for Nittanyville and also the Social Media Captain for Penn State's THON this past year.

StickSkills 03-05-2013 08:31 PM

Stupid double post.

bigbluedefense 03-05-2013 09:00 PM

I wish I tried to work in the NFL in some capacity when I was younger. If I could go back and do it again I'd go for it.

I'd take a salary cut to do so in all likelihood, but man, if you work for the NFL you never work a day in your life. Imagine being a scout for a team or even working for NFL.com or whatever? You'd never work a day!

WCH 03-05-2013 09:09 PM

I'd probably give my left arm to work in an analytics department of an NFL or NBA team. I'd basically be doing the same thing I did as a 10 year old memorizing the statistics on the back trading cards.

pierce2walker 03-05-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3292801)
I wish I tried to work in the NFL in some capacity when I was younger. If I could go back and do it again I'd go for it.

I'd take a salary cut to do so in all likelihood, but man, if you work for the NFL you never work a day in your life. Imagine being a scout for a team or even working for NFL.com or whatever? You'd never work a day!

There are certainly ups and downs to working in sports. I actually pushed pretty hard to do so my last year or two of college and interned for a sports media company. Through various connections I ended up talking to a lot of people in sports, mainly people working for various teams.

The majority opinion was that you usually work **** jobs for a really long time in order to get your foot in the door and get paid like **** as well because everyone wants to work in sports. People also said it was really hard to move up because the people who are actually in good positions rarely move. As a result, there's a decent chance you move around a lot in order to take various jobs.

Of course the obvious upside is that you work with sports everyday.

That's just my experience in exploring working in sports and talking to people in that line of work.

jayceheathman 03-06-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce2walker (Post 3292813)
There are certainly ups and downs to working in sports. I actually pushed pretty hard to do so my last year or two of college and interned for a sports media company. Through various connections I ended up talking to a lot of people in sports, mainly people working for various teams.

The majority opinion was that you usually work **** jobs for a really long time in order to get your foot in the door and get paid like **** as well because everyone wants to work in sports. People also said it was really hard to move up because the people who are actually in good positions rarely move. As a result, there's a decent chance you move around a lot in order to take various jobs.

That's just my experience in exploring working in sports and talking to people in that line of work.

I agree. I applied to be a "manager" for the NBA Jams Sessions event in Houston that paid minimum wage and I didn't get it even with a Master's of Science in economics. It was only for that one week too and that many people applied for it I guess.

bigbluedefense 03-06-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce2walker (Post 3292813)

Yeah it's definitely a gamble and not rewarding financially for the most part. But you wake up every day loving what you do. That's priceless.

I chased the money. And while that has it's pros too, it's taxing. I'd give up half my salary to work for the NFL. Bc you wouldn't work a day in your life.

That's such a great feeling.