Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Ban on hits with the crown of the helmet (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56013)

CJSchneider 03-18-2013 06:41 PM

Ban on hits with the crown of the helmet

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/...elmet?ref=7012

If you have been listening, plenty of RB's have already said this is crazy. What do you think?

princefielder28 03-18-2013 07:18 PM

If this goes through then the players may as well have flags on...ball carriers need to be able to protect themselves

BallerT1215 03-18-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3306301)
If this goes through then the players may as well have flags on...ball carriers need to be able to protect themselves

agreed - this would be absolute nonsense.

WCH 03-18-2013 07:20 PM

I think this was probably proposed by people who not only never played football, but people who never participated in any type of sport. It's a bad idea and I don't like it.

brat316 03-18-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCH (Post 3306305)
I think this was probably proposed by people who not only never played football, but people who never participated in any type of sport. It's a bad idea and I don't like it.

So the Owners?

All the owners and coaches are on some type of committee.

Its only outside the box, where guys can fly full speed(more room) and knock them out. since they can't lower their shoulder and ball up.

dunagan15 03-18-2013 08:10 PM

If they make a rule like this BS then every DB that dives at the ankles and kneecaps of RBs need the get penalized as well.

THIS IS FOOTBALL PEOPLE. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY SIGNED UP FOR. THEY MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

They will be fine, NFL makes billions of dollars and will keep doing anything to make more, its getting insane. Soon we will be watching flag football.

wogitalia 03-18-2013 10:38 PM

This one is going to be an awful rule...

I don't mind the general idea... but how do you possibly expect the refs to tell the difference at full speed between a RB who is using the crown as a weapon and someone who is simply lowering their pad level.

That's the problem, the head will always be lowered when you lower your pad level, which is how you protect both yourself and the ball and you should be doing that as part of the impact process.

There are certainly times where a RB will spear with the helmet and if they are going to be consistent it's a fair enough rule (it's dangerous for both ball carrier and tackler) but adjudicating it will be a nightmare.

prock 03-18-2013 10:42 PM

Roger Goodell is nerfing AP. What a **** rule. This is pretty outrageous.

nobodyinparticular 03-18-2013 10:44 PM

We touched on this intheOffseason thread. And it's just as awful now as it was then.

brat316 03-18-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prock (Post 3306570)
Roger Goodell is nerfing AP. What a **** rule. This is pretty outrageous.

FALSE.

His only powers are to make the NFL more money, and discipline players.

He doesn't make these rules or pass them. Its the competition committee.

nobodyinparticular 03-18-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 3306581)
FALSE.

His only powers are to make the NFL more money, and discipline players.

He doesn't make these rules or pass them. Its the competition committee.

That's like saying the President doesn't have any power to make laws. It's technically true, but he can utilize power and persuasion to get the powers that be to get the laws introduced.

brat316 03-18-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular (Post 3306583)
That's like saying the President doesn't have any power to make laws. It's technically true, but he can utilize power and persuasion to get the powers that be to get the laws introduced.

that is correct also.

but just like congress, they can take his suggestions and tell him to shove it.

falloutboy14 03-18-2013 11:02 PM

FYI, these are the NFL competition committee members last I checked:

Co-Chair: Rich McKay (Atlanta Falcons)
Co-Chair: Jeff Fisher (St. Louis Rams)
- Mark Murphy (Green Bay Packers)
- Ken Whisenhunt (Arizona Cardinals)
- Stephen Jones (Dallas Cowboys)
- Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals)
- John Mara (New York Giants)
- Ozzie Newsome (Baltimore Ravens)
- Rick Smith (Houston Texans)

just in case someone wants to choose a more valid punching bag.

prock 03-18-2013 11:30 PM

It's Mark Murphy Trying To Nerf Ap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caulibflower 03-18-2013 11:32 PM

**** the NFL. A few men in suits determining how a game loved by millions is going to be played. **** them.

phlysac 03-19-2013 12:03 AM

I don't understand how this is any different than the style-change they expected defensive players make the past few seasons. No more/less difficult to police, either.

If safety is the issue, why should only defensive players have to change?

I dislike the changes in general, but if the changes are to be made, they should be made on both sides of the ball.

BallerT1215 03-19-2013 01:44 PM

Jim Brown is for the rule.
Emmit Smith is against it.

Surprised on Brown's stance.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...mith-blasts-it

Guru 03-19-2013 03:11 PM

Soon the most contact allowed will be the hugs Goodell gives players on stage at the NFL draft.

Ffs, This is a game of carnage, blood, sweat, tears. Injuries are a simple biproduct of the game and no matter how much you try to protect players, when two guys hit each other at 20 MPH they're both gonna feel it.

This rule is stupid for a number of reasons. The first being that RB's are taught from a young age to stay low and keep momentum forward. Once a guy is being tripped up or tackled he's going to be paralell to the ground thus the crown of his helmet will be on course with whatever tackler is coming in for the clean up. Also, a RB has a ball in his hands and his only real protection from a big hit is to lower and compact his body. This puts way too much guess work into something that is simply reactionary process at full game speed.

Hopefully these idiots quit ruining the greatest game on earth. Here's an idea, spend the money and make better equipment. There has to be some sort of tech out there other than what we're currently using. Some gel/memory pad helmets?

If you think about it if there was some sort of padding on each side of the helmet shouldn't it absorb shock better? Idk I'm no scientist but it seems logical.

Splat 03-19-2013 03:16 PM

NFL bans low blocks from behind

I'm in favor of this one.

brat316 03-19-2013 03:35 PM

So the tough WR can do this right? just not rbs?

Iamcanadian 03-19-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 3307204)
So the tough WR can do this right? just not rbs?

No doubt everybody eventually will come under this rule.

Please, just don't talk about modern players setting records, any records set in the last 5-10 years aren't worth the paper they are written on.
No doubt, lawyers are telling the league that they are vulnerable in lawsuits if they don't do something about player safety, and I think they should, but face it, pro football is a shell of what it once was.

Forenci 03-19-2013 04:53 PM

I mean, if a defender can't use his helmet why should a running back be able to? Lowering your pad level is not the same as lowering you're head and just using it as a battering ram against defenders.

I've felt the same should go for stiff arms for RB's. They can stiff arm and grab the face mask and not be penalized while the defenders are.

Everyone always complains about the rules against defenders but I like these rules that inhibit the offense a bit too. It's only fair, in my opinion.

brat316 03-19-2013 05:16 PM

crown i agree, but the front of their helmet is fine. for the refs its going to be ticky tacky.

SuperPacker 03-19-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forenci (Post 3307271)
I mean, if a defender can't use his helmet why should a running back be able to? Lowering your pad level is not the same as lowering you're head and just using it as a battering ram against defenders.

I've felt the same should go for stiff arms for RB's. They can stiff arm and grab the face mask and not be penalized while the defenders are.

Everyone always complains about the rules against defenders but I like these rules that inhibit the offense a bit too. It's only fair, in my opinion.

The defenders can use their helmet..

Forenci 03-19-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3307286)
The defenders can use their helmet..

Not as a weapon and mechanism for tackling, which is essentially what this rule is for RB's.