Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Xavier Rhodes vs Desmond Trufant (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56065)

Kyle472 03-25-2013 01:59 AM

Xavier Rhodes vs Desmond Trufant

Both are big fast potential top 20 picks, who is the 2nd best corner?

duesouth 03-25-2013 05:01 AM

Trufant for me; question Rhodes hips/ability to change directions.

brasho 03-25-2013 06:33 AM

I like Trufant's confidence and NFL readiness. I like Rhode's measurables, especially size and arm length. I'd love either one. It depends on what you are looking for in a CB. I think Rhodes would excel as a press man corner, while Trufant is more versatile and could probably do everything fairly well but nothing great...which means I would rather have... Trufant.

farfromforgotten 03-25-2013 08:29 AM

Would be happy with either of them for my 49ers, but I'm a bigger fan of Trufant's.

stlouisfan37 03-25-2013 11:22 AM

I think Trufant may actually end up being the best corner from this draft. He has the ability and potential to be an absolute shutdown cover corner, and the confidence to go with it. I would personally rather have him over Rhodes or Milliner. But I am a homer so I will admit to being biased.

bigbluedefense 03-25-2013 12:20 PM

Rhodes is very good at bump and run. I like bump and run CBs so I'm going with Rhodes. That athleticism, size, and length is hard to pass up for me.

killxswitch 03-25-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3312202)
Rhodes is very good at bump and run. I like bump and run CBs so I'm going with Rhodes. That athleticism, size, and length is hard to pass up for me.

I'm in the same boat. I could see Trufant becoming the better player, but I am a big fan of Rhodes' play style and potential.

stlouisfan37 03-25-2013 12:33 PM

I will give you that. Rhodes is definitely the more physical player, while Trufant is the guy who isn't that physical but can stick to a receiver like glue.

bigbluedefense 03-25-2013 12:43 PM

My problem with Trufant is I don't view him as a lockdown guy bc I can see him struggle with the AJ Green/Julio Jones/Dez Bryants of the world. He's just not big enough to hang with them.

Unless I'm underestimating his size? Anyone have his measurements?

SuperPacker 03-25-2013 12:43 PM

Johnthan Banks.

cunningham06 03-25-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPacker (Post 3312232)
Johnthan Banks.

We're talking CB's here, not safeties. Too slow.

bucfan12 03-25-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3312231)
My problem with Trufant is I don't view him as a lockdown guy bc I can see him struggle with the AJ Green/Julio Jones/Dez Bryants of the world. He's just not big enough to hang with them.

Don't underestimate his physicality. I'd honestly compare his style to Revis coming out. Can hang with any wr in the nfl. That type of potential.

BallerT1215 03-25-2013 02:28 PM

Both of them are going to be very good CB's imo.

Just depends on the system your defense runs on which one you would rather have first.

As noted, Rhodes is physical and is rarely caught out of position. People complain about his lack of hips and ability to turn and run but i will tell you I never saw Rhodes get burned at FSU.

One note on Rhodes: He catches the ball like he is Captain Hook.

bigbluedefense 03-25-2013 02:30 PM

I've seen Rhodes play the slot and play it well. I've seen him sink his hips just fine. I think he's fine in that regards.

Is Trufant as big as Revis? Revis doesn't get enough credit for being a very good height/weight/speed guy.

MassNole 03-25-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3312362)
I've seen Rhodes play the slot and play it well. I've seen him sink his hips just fine. I think he's fine in that regards.

Rhodes never played the slot at FSU, unless someone motioned into the slot and he followed them in.

bigbluedefense 03-25-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3312386)
Rhodes never played the slot at FSU, unless someone motioned into the slot and he followed them in.

I've seen him in there. *shrug*

MassNole 03-25-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3312389)
I've seen him in there. *shrug*

I'd love to know which games, because he's always been on the outside with Mike Harris, Greg Reid, and Tyler Hunter as Slot CBs in his time at FSU

Witten4HOF 03-25-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3312231)

Trufant is 6'0 190lbs with a 37.5 inch vert and pushed up 16 reps at the combine. By no means is he undersized, he will come down and do a quick jam at the los and is the better all around player. I do agree that Rhodes is probably the more physical of the two and has the length to harass some of the larger WR in the league.

Rhodes has good speed once he gets going but is a long strider and will have some issues against quicker guys if he can't get a jam. Trufant's short area quickness is excellent and he demonstrated that at the combine when he dominated the 3 cone drill running sub 3.9 sec. I really became sold at the senior bowl when I watched him shadow guys and his movements looked effortless.

That being said Rhodes is going to be a very good player if he is put in the right scheme.

Iamcanadian 03-25-2013 04:13 PM

Rhodes suits a Cover 2 defense and that is likely the type of team that will be interested in drafting him. Trufant has a shot to be a #1 man to man CB but probably will settle in as a very good #2.

bucfan12 03-25-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 3312472)
Rhodes suits a Cover 2 defense and that is likely the type of team that will be interested in drafting him. Trufant has a shot to be a #1 man to man CB but probably will settle in as a very good #2.

You are lost my friend. Rhodes is a press man CB. Cover 2 would not be his best strength.

Trufant is probably the most complete CB in this draft. He excells in man and zone.

thetedginnshow 03-25-2013 05:32 PM

Poyer! But I'd rather have Trufant than Rhodes. He's just more in-your-face and well-rounded.

BallerT1215 03-25-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetedginnshow (Post 3312551)
Poyer! But I'd rather have Trufant than Rhodes. He's just more in-your-face and well-rounded.

You take that Poyer love right out of this thread!

DeadEagle 03-25-2013 07:00 PM

Honestly, it depends on what kind of secondary your team is running.

Rhodes is the bigger, more physical corner, and he's good in run support. He is a natural fit to cover the bigger WR's in press-man coverage, like Marques Colston, Julio Jones, and the Brandon Marshall's of the NFL. I can see him struggling against the smaller, quicker WR's, like Percy Harvin, Wes Welker and Steve Smith.

Trufant seems to be a better fit for teams running more zone schemes, where closing ability and pass recognition is key. He should easily be able to handle the quicker slot guys, but might have trouble against the longer WR's.

I'd take them both. Flip a coin.

ChiFan24 03-25-2013 07:40 PM

Rhodes. Bump and run all day.

Iamcanadian 03-26-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucfan12 (Post 3312483)
You are lost my friend. Rhodes is a press man CB. Cover 2 would not be his best strength.

Trufant is probably the most complete CB in this draft. He excells in man and zone.

Sorry, but Rhodes isn't the most fluid CB and has trouble in man coverage because of it. Yes, he can press but CB's can press in the Cover 2 before dropping into a zone concept where fluidity isn't important but physicality is. He would be an excellent Cover 2 CB but will always struggle some in man to man schemes.