Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Projected Destinations for Top Ten WR's (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56106)

Matthew Jones 03-30-2013 01:40 PM

Projected Destinations for Top Ten WR's

This thread was inspired by the quarterback topic. Who do you think the top ten receivers drafted will be, and where will they go on draft day? Here's my best guess as of now:
  1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee* - Cleveland Browns (6)

2. Tavon Austin, West Virginia Carolina Panthers (14)

3. Keenan Allen, California* - St. Louis Rams (16)

4. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson* - Minnesota Vikings (25)

5. Robert Woods, Southern California* - Houston Texans (27)

6. Justin Hunter, Tennessee* - Baltimore Ravens (32)

7. Markus Wheaton, Oregon St. Pittsburgh Steelers (48)

8. Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech New England Patriots (59)

9. Terrance Williams, Baylor San Francisco 49ers (61)

10. Aaron Dobson, Marshall San Diego Chargers (76)

BallerT1215 03-30-2013 01:49 PM

I actually like the destinations for most of the WR's.

The only ones that jumped out to me and that I would fix is #5 and #6. I would fix it by simply switching them. Houston is looking for the dynamic WR#2 that will eventually replace Andre at #1. Hunter has the "potential" and skill set to do that. At the same time, Baltimore needs the slot WR to replace Boldin (can't just replace him with a TE) that will complement Torrey Smith the burner on the outside.

I am also very upset you do not think the Bills get anyone to complement Stevie in the top 10 WR. ahhh....

K Train 03-30-2013 01:49 PM

they might take wheaton but patterson, allen, or hunter would be much better

browns take patterson at 6? little and gordon look pretty solid with benjamin working the slot

princefielder28 03-30-2013 01:56 PM

Patterson -- Tennessee (1)
Austin -- St. Louis (1)
Hopkins -- Minnesota (1)
Allen -- Houston (1)
Hunter -- Buffalo (2)
Patton -- Carolina (2)
Woods -- Pittsburgh (2)
Bailey -- Green Bay (2)
Dobson -- New England (2)
Williams -- San Diego (3)

Matthew Jones 03-30-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3316378)
Austin -- St. Louis (1)
Hopkins -- Minnesota (1)
Allen -- Houston (1)
Hunter -- Buffalo (2)
Patton -- Carolina (2)
Woods -- Pittsburgh (2)
Bailey -- Green Bay (2)

Interesting. I think Carolina may lean towards someone like Bailey, and New England may not be into Dobson. I think the Patriots would probably take Wheaton or Williams over him.

DeepThreat 03-30-2013 03:00 PM

Why would the Browns take a wide receiver that high? That seriously makes no sense.

Babylon 03-30-2013 03:03 PM

Ryan Swope 5b or 6b, Miami.

Matthew Jones 03-30-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepThreat (Post 3316401)
Why would the Browns take a wide receiver that high? That seriously makes no sense.

They only have one good receiver, Josh Gordon. Greg Little has some of the worst hands in the league and Cleveland won't be able to assess Brandon Weeden's viability as a starter without offering him some legitimate weapons in the passing game. Browns receivers dropped 38 of Weeden's passes last year; had they caught those passes, Weeden would have finished with a completion percentage of 64.8% rather than 57.4%. Little's drop rate of 14.52% was the seventh-highest figure in the league and well ahead of any other top options. Sixth overall may be a little bit high for Patterson based on what we've seen so far, but the potential is there for him to develop into something similar to Julio Jones. I expect Dee Milliner to be off the board by the time the Browns pick, so they will probably have to go with a wide receiver, as they have used free agency to address their needs at defensive end (Desmond Bryant) and outside linebacker (Paul Kruger.)

I know a lot of people bought into the "Brandon Weeden is old, so he must be able to step into an offense and produce right away" so that they could criticize him after one year, but let's be honest: Pat Shurmur's West Coast offense was not a fit for a downfield passer like Weeden, Cleveland didn't provide him with enough targets to be successful, and the Browns play in a division filled with tough defenses. Weeden should be a better fit in Norv Turner's offense, but Cleveland is going to have to get him some supporting pieces; if they go into the season with Greg Little as a starter, they're setting Weeden up to fail. Yes, Weeden is older than you'd like, but he could still develop into a solid starter if they build around him, rather than using him as a scapegoat. Quarterbacks these days don't decline at 30 or 33 like a running back or wide receiver; that's why some of the elite passers in the league are in their mid-to-late thirties, and why players like Tom Brady and Tony Romo are getting long-term extensions which carry them into their late thirties or early forties.

Caulibflower 03-30-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3316405)
Ryan Swope 5b or 6b, Miami.

Yeah, I think Swope is going to go higher than most people realize.

Dacitykats 03-30-2013 06:14 PM

Panthers have worked out or will work out
Patterson
Hunter
Austin
Bailey
Patton
Hopkins
Allen

so either one of these guys will be on the panthers team after april.

descendency 03-30-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3316435)
Yeah, I think Swope is going to go higher than most people realize.

NE will want Swope (pick will probably be acquired as part of a trade back package) to replace Julian Edelman.

Matthew Jones 03-30-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3316524)
NE will want Swope (pick will probably be acquired as part of a trade back package) to replace Julian Edelman.

I could see New England being interested, but I think Julian Edelman will ultimately return once he's rehabbed enough from surgery. The Patriots will probably end up looking more closely at flanker/split end options.

sbh15 03-30-2013 07:51 PM

I don't want to go too far because I mostly base rankings on what I read, but I'm moving toward Patterson to Carolina at 14 and Austin to St. Louis at 16

Caulibflower 03-30-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by descendency (Post 3316524)

I'm feeling like he's going to go in the second round. I think he'd be fantastic in Miami, being reunited with Ryan Tannehill and playing the "possession" role to Mike Wallaces "deep threat." And when your "possession" receiver has 4.3 speed and can get behind a defense, too, you're talking about a pretty good receiver situation. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually goes off the board before Justin Hunter, Patton, Robert Woods, and other guys who seem to be bigger names. I really don't think he's just a slot receiver, though. I think he's well-rounded and a lot of teams are going to look at him as a reliable, high-floor prospect with no.1 potential.

Dacitykats 03-31-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 3316547)
I don't want to go too far because I mostly base rankings on what I read, but I'm moving toward Patterson to Carolina at 14 and Austin to St. Louis at 16

I can see that more so because they do want a bigger WR with speed.and when beat writer Joe Pearson was on NFL network Friday,he said they liked Patterson.

Kyle472 03-31-2013 08:41 AM

Randle and Sanu were considered 1st rounders and look how far they fell, just saying.

princefielder28 03-31-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3316788)
Randle and Sanu were considered 1st rounders and look how far they fell, just saying.

There were some first round grades on Randle, but I don't know of one team who graded Sanu that high.

Nastradamus 03-31-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepThreat (Post 3316401)

Um, what? I think it makes a ton of sense. Its probably their biggest need, by far. Gordon is nice, but they need more. Little sucks, Benjamin is average and they have nothing at TE. Weeden may not be great, but he's got no shot without some help.

Nastradamus 03-31-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3316551)
I'm feeling like he's going to go in the second round. I think he'd be fantastic in Miami, being reunited with Ryan Tannehill and playing the "possession" role to Mike Wallaces "deep threat." And when your "possession" receiver has 4.3 speed and can get behind a defense, too, you're talking about a pretty good receiver situation. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually goes off the board before Justin Hunter, Patton, Robert Woods, and other guys who seem to be bigger names. I really don't think he's just a slot receiver, though. I think he's well-rounded and a lot of teams are going to look at him as a reliable, high-floor prospect with no.1 potential.

Miami signed 3 WRs this offseason and still has Bess. They shouldn't touch that position in this draft unless its maybe a 7th rounder.

cmarq83 03-31-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Jones (Post 3316434)
They only have one good receiver, Josh Gordon. Greg Little has some of the worst hands in the league and Cleveland won't be able to assess Brandon Weeden's viability as a starter without offering him some legitimate weapons in the passing game. Browns receivers dropped 38 of Weeden's passes last year; had they caught those passes, Weeden would have finished with a completion percentage of 64.8% rather than 57.4%. Little's drop rate of 14.52% was the seventh-highest figure in the league and well ahead of any other top options. Sixth overall may be a little bit high for Patterson based on what we've seen so far, but the potential is there for him to develop into something similar to Julio Jones. I expect Dee Milliner to be off the board by the time the Browns pick, so they will probably have to go with a wide receiver, as they have used free agency to address their needs at defensive end (Desmond Bryant) and outside linebacker (Paul Kruger.)

I know a lot of people bought into the "Brandon Weeden is old, so he must be able to step into an offense and produce right away" so that they could criticize him after one year, but let's be honest: Pat Shurmur's West Coast offense was not a fit for a downfield passer like Weeden, Cleveland didn't provide him with enough targets to be successful, and the Browns play in a division filled with tough defenses. Weeden should be a better fit in Norv Turner's offense, but Cleveland is going to have to get him some supporting pieces; if they go into the season with Greg Little as a starter, they're setting Weeden up to fail. Yes, Weeden is older than you'd like, but he could still develop into a solid starter if they build around him, rather than using him as a scapegoat. Quarterbacks these days don't decline at 30 or 33 like a running back or wide receiver; that's why some of the elite passers in the league are in their mid-to-late thirties, and why players like Tom Brady and Tony Romo are getting long-term extensions which carry them into their late thirties or early forties.

I'm not buying it. Cleveland's drop rate was very similar to NE, GB, DEN, NO, and DET and none of those teams had nearly the issues putting up points and moving the ball through the air like Cleveland did. Dropped passes usually a red herring for the more obvious issue of QB failure.

Benjamin, Little, and Gordon are a good enough trio. They could use a consistent guy to balance out the unique strengths of those 3, but adding one of the rawest body catchers in the draft like Patterson won't help Weeden prove that he's capable of being a consistent NFL passer. Cleveland is coming off one of the few good drafts they've had since they've come back, and going for one of the riskiest players at a spot where they currently have a good deal of raw talent isn't the way to help them take the next step.

thebow305 04-02-2013 04:53 PM

Where Is The Swopezzzzzzzzzzz?????

blue streak 04-02-2013 09:15 PM

Bills

think Hunter is a big possiblity for the Bills

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3316378)
Austin -- St. Louis (1)
Hopkins -- Minnesota (1)
Allen -- Houston (1)
Hunter -- Buffalo (2)
Patton -- Carolina (2)
Woods -- Pittsburgh (2)
Bailey -- Green Bay (2)

HEISMANHERSCHEL 04-02-2013 09:53 PM

I have to agree with this concerning Cleveland. They did Colt wrong by not giving him enough weapons. They did the same thing to Weeden, although I thought he was a horrible pick. Truth is though, you really don't know what you have in him without giving him some weapons. The only guy known on the Browns nationally is Richardson. Take it from me!

And the Texicans will improve with any of these guys.

Babylon 04-02-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebow305 (Post 3319071)
Where Is The Swopezzzzzzzzzzz?????

He doesn't draw the same excitement that old Jordy did, not sure why not.