Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2014: Year of the OT (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56643)

Kyle472 05-03-2013 08:59 AM

2014: Year of the OT
 
Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, Cyrus Kouandjio, David Yankey, James Hurst, Ja'wuan james, Zach Martin, Seantrel Henderson all potential first round picks and there will probably some more who have a good 2013 and senior bowl.

bigbluedefense 05-03-2013 09:00 AM

I feel like we say this almost every year.

OTs are safe picks on paper. Fast forward 3 years from now and you see a lot of them wind up being mediocre players in the NFL.

Black Bolt 05-03-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3355571)
I feel like we say this almost every year.

OTs are safe picks on paper. Fast forward 3 years from now and you see a lot of them wind up being mediocre players in the NFL.

That's mostly the ones that get pushed up falsely, though. The blue chippers have done well.

princefielder28 05-03-2013 09:35 AM

Matthews and Lewan are top tier, and then we'll see with the rest. Kouandjio has some buzz about him, but I want to see how he plays this next season with out Warmack by his side.

I just got done watching some of James Hurst and I am impressed by what I saw.

shylo3716 05-03-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3355570)
Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, Cyrus Kouandjio, David Yankey, James Hurst, Ja'wuan james, Zach Martin all potential first round picks and there will probably some more who have a good 2013 and senior bowl.

Add Seantrel Henderson to the mix.

Robcards 05-03-2013 03:14 PM

Really am not big on Kouandjio (sp) in pass protection, I think he'd be better suited as a RT in the NFL. Having said that, after Fluker went 11th this year, that doesn't necessarily mean he won't get drafted high.

There was speculation that Matthews may actually be the better prospect between him and Joeckel, so if he does well at LT this year, he'll be right up there in the top 5 conversation after Bridgewater and Clowney.

BallerT1215 05-03-2013 03:24 PM

Look out for Cameron Erving - Redshirt Junior.

Starting LT for FSU last season and it was his 1st year as an O-lineman as he is a former DT. He is a huge part of our running game and overall a very solid blocker even with the lack of experience playing O-line.

6'6 - 315lbs

mightytitan9 05-03-2013 03:46 PM

I know tape is hard to come by right now, but I've always been impressed with Cornelius Lucas of Kansas State.

He's gonna measure in between 6'7 and 6'8" and will probably weight somewhere around 330.

He's played LT for K-State, and can have a future there in the NFL in the right system. He's not going to be an Eric Fisher type, but he could play the Bryant McKinnie, Jared Gaither LT role.

He's probably not going to be a 1st rounder, probably not even a 2nd rounder. He'll likely go somewhere in the 3rd

P-L 05-03-2013 03:56 PM

I like Cyrus Kouandjio, but I think he's a bit overrated right now. All of this talk about how he was the best player on that Alabama offensive line confuses me.

BallerT1215 05-03-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-L (Post 3355862)
I like Cyrus Kouandjio, but I think he's a bit overrated right now. All of this talk about how he was the best player on that Alabama offensive line confuses me.

Highly touted out of HS, Immediate starter, very solid LT on a national championship team = people all over him.

Kyle472 05-04-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robcards (Post 3355827)
Really am not big on Kouandjio (sp) in pass protection, I think he'd be better suited as a RT in the NFL. Having said that, after Fluker went 11th this year, that doesn't necessarily mean he won't get drafted high.

There was speculation that Matthews may actually be the better prospect between him and Joeckel, so if he does well at LT this year, he'll be right up there in the top 5 conversation after Bridgewater and Clowney.

He plays at Alabama so you can't expect him to be a elite pass protecter, his defiantly in that 2nd tier of LTs that are elite run blockers and good pass blocker, where the 1st tier ones like Joeckel and Kalil are elite pass blockers and good run blockers.

And if Matthews was better then Joeckel he would of been Texas A&Ms LT.

Robcards 05-04-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3356303)
He plays at Alabama so you can't expect him to be a elite pass protecter, his defiantly in that 2nd tier of LTs that are elite run blockers and good pass blocker, where the 1st tier ones like Joeckel and Kalil are elite pass blockers and good run blockers.

And if Matthews was better then Joeckel he would of been Texas A&Ms LT.

1. Even calling Kouandjio a 'good pass blocker' is giving him far too much credit, check out some tape on this years pass rushers vs Alabama to see what I mean.

2. That's not really a good argument (in regards to Matthews), since there have been countless times where backup players have turned out to be better NFL prospects. Especially considering a player's progression isn't linear or predictable, Joeckel was better and therefore got LT but if Matthews improves to the point where he is slightly better, they're not all of a sudden gonna say OK Matthews is the LT now, that's not how it would work. They'd probably only do that if Joeckel started stinking it up or something.

underscore 05-04-2013 01:17 PM

A guy to keep an eye on, Donovan Smith, LT, Penn State. He'll be a 3rd year soph this coming year. 6'5, and a lean 325lbs

thebow305 05-04-2013 01:54 PM

In addition to Seantrel, look out for Miami's starting LT Malcolm Bunche. Another 6'7", 330 pounder who was our best offensive lineman last year. Could be a darkhorse first or second day pick.

Google him, he's gigantic. Him and Seantrel are pretty imposing bookend tackles.

AntoinCD 05-04-2013 02:08 PM

I have Matthews and Lewan very high at this point then a bit of a gap. I mentioned in another thread how I'm not as high on Kouandjio. The upside is there but he is way too incocnsistent technique wise, needs to get stronger in his base and needs to improve his awareness at the second level. Too often he just runs down field without actually blocking anyone

wicket 05-04-2013 02:19 PM

as much as kouandjio might be overrated if you give me the choice between him and fluker id pick kouandjio and wouldnt have to think a second about it

AntoinCD 05-04-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 3356377)
as much as kouandjio might be overrated if you give me the choice between him and fluker id pick kouandjio and wouldnt have to think a second about it

I likely would too, but it isn't as simple. With Fluker you know you are getting a guy who can be a great RT in the NFL. With Kounadjio, without better technique may not be a fit anywhere. Worst case scenario with him but he does need improvement. His upside at LT trumps Fluker's at RT though so I do agree with you there

Babylon 05-04-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3356371)
I have Matthews and Lewan very high at this point then a bit of a gap. I mentioned in another thread how I'm not as high on Kouandjio. The upside is there but he is way too incocnsistent technique wise, needs to get stronger in his base and needs to improve his awareness at the second level. Too often he just runs down field without actually blocking anyone

Not sure it's as clear as Lewan and Matthews in tier 1 then the rest but i'm leaning to adding James Hurst of UNC to the two mentioned.

wicket 05-04-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3356423)
Not sure it's as clear as Lewan and Matthews in tier 1 then the rest but i'm leaning to adding James Hurst of UNC to the two mentioned.

I was sooo bummed that we couldnt keep hurts instate

SolidGold 05-04-2013 04:54 PM

Wasn't 2013 the year of the OT?

Babylon 05-04-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 3356450)
I was sooo bummed that we couldnt keep hurts instate

Instate as in Notre Dame, my guess is you don't worry too much about IU.

Was he ever in play for the Irish?

Bengals78 05-04-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3356469)
Wasn't 2013 the year of the OT?

It's gonna be hard to top 2013 for the big guys up front

mightytitan9 05-04-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3356469)
Wasn't 2013 the year of the OT?

It was more "2013 the year of mediocre top players"

Bengals78 05-04-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightytitan9 (Post 3356476)
It was more "2013 the year of mediocre top players"

And good OL prospects capitalized.
GIVE THEM THEIR ******* CREDIT.

mightytitan9 05-04-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals78 (Post 3356479)
And good OL prospects capitalized.
GIVE THEM THEIR ******* CREDIT.

Top OL prospects were definitely available, but let's face the truth the draft would have been drastically different if the OL from this year were in the 2012 draft.

They definitely benefit from having a poor top QB, RB, WR, and S prospect.

2013 was just an odd draft all together.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.