Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Notre Dame DL Stephon Tuitt: Position in NFL? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56665)

Kyle472 05-07-2013 09:07 AM

Notre Dame DL Stephon Tuitt: Position in NFL?

What position do you think will be the best for him in the NFL?

AcheTen (Thumper) 05-07-2013 09:09 AM

4-3 3-technique DT in a Tampa-2 scheme

Don Vito 05-07-2013 09:48 AM

He could project to a ton of different spots but I like him best as a 5-tech in a one gap 3-4.

He is not a finished product by any means but holy hell I would love him on the Pats.

Nastradamus 05-07-2013 09:56 AM

3-4 DE, but he fits in any D in some role, especially the way teams play these days.

JFLO 05-07-2013 10:29 AM

I personally like Tuitt as a 5-Tech. For his immense size, he has pretty incredible athleticism. Also, this is my first post on this forum in at least two years. This site has gone down the pooper a smidgen.

Dacitykats 05-07-2013 01:11 PM

i think he can play in any scheme. a 3 tech in a 4 man front, and a 5 tech in a 3 man front. i can even see him playing as a LDE in a 4 man front.

bigbuc 05-16-2013 08:50 PM

I think he's one that can play anywhere. Would love to see him as a 1 gapper in a 4-3. You just don't see 6-6 300 pound people that can move like him.

wicket 05-17-2013 11:29 AM

there are some stories that his momma wont allow him to go pro before graduating. Im rooting for momma here.

that being said he should probably go pro if he improves on last season and i want him in a 3 man front in a 1 gap system for sure.

BallerT1215 10-17-2013 11:12 AM

Kind of surprising ....

Quote:

Notre Dame junior DL Stephon Tuitt announced he plans on returning for his senior season.

"I’m coming back next year," Tuitt said. "I’m a junior. I still have one year." Tuitt has 18 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and three sacks this season. Many, including us, have questioned his play after adding weight this offseason following surgery. We would not put much stock into this statement, as Tuitt could lean towards declaring in January when the deadline approaches

DeadEagle 10-17-2013 11:16 AM

In soliciting answers to that question, you'll get a bunch of differing opinions. And that really IS the answer. You can play him at a variety of places and have success. Inside at NT, outside as a 5-tech or 7-tech, in a 4-3, a 3-4..... he's one of those guys that can really make a defense "exotic". Or at least, so hard to peg down as doing one thing, that offenses start to lose track of where guys are... allowing the defense to make splash plays.

wicket 10-17-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3474334)
Kind of surprising ....

Already rectified, was a school paper so doesnt really say much. He could very well stick around but it isnt a decision thats been made yet

wicket 10-17-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadEagle (Post 3474337)
In soliciting answers to that question, you'll get a bunch of differing opinions. And that really IS the answer. You can play him at a variety of places and have success. Inside at NT, outside as a 5-tech or 7-tech, in a 4-3, a 3-4..... he's one of those guys that can really make a defense "exotic". Or at least, so hard to peg down as doing one thing, that offenses start to lose track of where guys are... allowing the defense to make splash plays.

Yes he can play multiple positions and allows you to get exotic but that doesnt take away from the fact that he is (at least imo) a natural 5 tech

Scott Wright 10-17-2013 01:26 PM

I think Tuitt has shown he is capable of playing defensive end in either an even or odd front and can even kick inside to defensive tackle at times. I'm hesitant to label Tuitt a five-technique because I think he is more than that and a much better pass rusher than you normally get from someone with that designation. When healthy, in shape and at his best (early-2012) Tuitt actually reminded me of a Mario Williams type of player. Ultimately I think Tuitt will be considered a viable option at defensive end in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme at the next level.

Don't read too much into Tuitt's comments about sticking around for his senior season. There is a long history of underclassmen saying that this time of year only to reverse course. They are usually just trying to get people off their back and to stop asking about it. On one hand there have been plenty of rumblings that Tuitt was far from a sure-thing to go pro early and that getting a degree was very important to the family. Plus Notre Dame prospects have a history of staying. On the other hand Tuitt's mother has been doing due-diligence and interviewing agents. I wouldn't be shocked either way but if I were handicapping it I'd say it 60 / 40 that he goes.

MassNole 10-17-2013 03:02 PM

As a Defensive End after seeing what happened to Brandon Jenkins last year you go pro 11 out of 10 times.

WCH 10-17-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicket (Post 3366307)
there are some stories that his momma wont allow him to go pro before graduating. Im rooting for momma here.

that being said he should probably go pro if he improves on last season and i want him in a 3 man front in a 1 gap system for sure.

I can understand this type of thinking, especially if he's from a family where getting a degree is a big deal. But come on. You go to college so you can get a good job. Playing even a few years in the NFL is about as good as it gets, and you can always take classes in the offseason or go back to school when you retire.

Matthew Jones 10-17-2013 11:27 PM

I'd say Tuitt's best fit is as an oversized 4-3 defensive end, as teams have been integrating more of them into their schemes (Red Bryant, Tyson Alualu, etc.) and Tuitt is hardly a good run defender. I might even argue that he's a below-average run defender for a 4-3 defensive end, let alone a five-technique.

villagewarrior 10-18-2013 02:52 AM

His size, athleticism and ability to get in the backfield are what is so intriguing to me. I think he could play anywhere along the defensive line other than nose.