Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Who had GREATNESS derailed by INJURIEZ? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56708)

J-Mike88 05-15-2013 10:50 PM

Who had GREATNESS derailed by INJURIEZ?

Some I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Gale Sayers
  • Marcus Dupree
  • Bo Jackson
  • Billy Sims
  • Sterling Sharpe
  • Terrell Davis

All of those guys were HALL OF FAME talents without question.
But injuries kept them all out of the HOF, except isn't Sayers in still, maybe?

Carson Palmer was headed for greatness, IMO, before the Steeler rolled into his ACL on the first play of that playoff game Pit vs Cinci.

Who else am I missing?

Marcus Lattimore and Willis McGahee were both much greater before they're knees were taken out by low ***** hits, before making it to the league.

I remember #1 pick Ki-Jana Carter ripping his ACL in PRESEASON GAME #1. We never got to see him show if he had that greatness in the NFL because of that. The above guys all showed it.

mightytitan9 05-15-2013 11:00 PM

Terrell Davis and Carson Palmer, both of whom you have listed come to mind big time.

Injuries are getting so much easier to recover from now. But I think Shawne Merriman and Bob Sanders are too from recent years to consider

superman8456 05-15-2013 11:25 PM

I don't know if it was considered "greatness", but Leonard Weaver was a pretty dominant fullback and really started to come into his own. The year after he made the All-Pro team, he suffered a gruesome knee injury that tore his ACL and caused nerve damage. Never was able to return to the game.

fenikz 05-15-2013 11:43 PM

it's scary to think how good McGahee could have been without that gruesome injury, I'm sure that was far worse than your normal ACL tear

Wodwo 05-16-2013 12:19 AM

Frank Gore is great. Imagine if he hadn't:

1) Torn both ACLs in college.

2) Had to have surgery on both shoulders after his rookie season.

3) Broke his hip in 2010 because Singletary wanted to play "fysical".

Frank Gore is football.

the_legend_killer 05-16-2013 12:21 AM

Any Packer that has ever been hurt.

Ok, seriously I think most people have covered the basic ones: Palmer, McGahee, Bo, TD, Sharpe.

Wodwo 05-16-2013 12:21 AM

Also... LeCharles Bentley.

TimmG6376 05-16-2013 12:41 AM

Robert Edwards?

Forenci 05-16-2013 12:58 AM

Dante Culpepper? It's hard to tell because he had some great weapons, but he was pretty studly (if I remember correctly) before his knee injury.

mightytitan9 05-16-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 3364859)
it's scary to think how good McGahee could have been without that gruesome injury, I'm sure that was far worse than your normal ACL tear

This is very true. I know some on here probably aren't even old enough to remember McGahee back then, but man was he an elite talent. I remember mocking him to the Cowboys at 5 all season, where Terrence Newman eventually ended up going.

I've got to hand it to McGahee, he went on to have a heck of a career when I didn't think he would. But man, you've always got to wonder what could have been with him.

That's the nastiest knee injury I've ever seen, and I don't think he ever fully regained his speed and acceleration after it, which were two of his greatest gifts.

He really had the potential to be an Adrian Peterson type of elite talent

mightytitan9 05-16-2013 01:07 AM

Andre Wadsworth and Courtney Brown

FUNBUNCHER 05-16-2013 01:07 AM

Colts DT/DE Steve Emtman.

the_legend_killer 05-16-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forenci (Post 3364877)
Dante Culpepper? It's hard to tell because he had some great weapons, but he was pretty studly (if I remember correctly) before his knee injury.

That one crossed my mind too. He was having a rough year prior to getting his knee shredded (6 TD and 12 INT in seven starts), but the prior year (his last with Randy Moss) he went for 39 TDs and 4,717 yards and made the playoffs.

OzTitan 05-16-2013 01:56 AM

Jevon Kearse, but he was probably never built to be a 4-3 DE anyway.

SunTzu_22 05-16-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightytitan9 (Post 3364844)
Terrell Davis and Carson Palmer, both of whom you have listed come to mind big time.

Injuries are getting so much easier to recover from now. But I think Shawne Merriman and Bob Sanders are too from recent years to consider

This x1000. Those two where some of my favourite players a couple of years back.

I also think Darren McFadden could potentially have had a HoF caliber career, if he wasn´t dinged up all the frickin time.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH 05-16-2013 02:22 AM

Brady Quinn.

bigbuc 05-16-2013 03:12 AM

He wasn't great because he didn't get to play that long but... Brain Price UCLA. All the talk coming out of camp was that he looked better than McCoy when we drafted both of them. He played his butt off. But tore both his hammys clean off his pelvis... In the first injury of it's kind by a NFL player. Couldn't get it back on track. He can't run anymore... Sad. Watch highlights from UCLA. Guy looked like Sapp. A lot

SunTzu_22 05-16-2013 03:38 AM

Kellen Winslow Jr. comes to mind. That guy was a true matchup nightmare when Gronk and Graham was in pre-school.

Trogdor 05-16-2013 06:10 AM

Hard to count Merriman considering his downfall was his positive test and subsequent spiral into nothing. You may say "Who had GREATNESS derailed by the NFL's testing policy" for Merriman.

Second the Winslow Jr. call.

I was excited for Brian Price when he landed with Dallas only for him to be on IR now after injuring his shoulder prior to mini-camp. Another year of rehab with an NFL team and he may be able to return from his surgery. If you haven't read about it, and don't mind horrible details, google Brian Price's surgery on his hips. What. The. Hell.

Job Reborn 05-16-2013 06:19 AM

The Packers?

Ness 05-16-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forenci (Post 3364877)

Not really. He actually started off the 2005 season sucking badly without Randy Moss, Scott Linehan calling the plays, and Matt Birk blocking for him anymore. Him getting hurt later that season was just the end to an already miserable season. He had some inconsistent seasons before the two years everyone remembers him for, 2003 and 2004. And that was with Moss on the team.

Ness 05-16-2013 06:44 AM

Carson Palmer also bounced back with arguably his greatest season the following year right after his playoff injury. A lot of people like to remember him immediately falling off the face of the Earth though when he got that hurt that day though. Weird.

DoughBoy 05-16-2013 06:49 AM

For the Titans I'd say Chris Brown. Chris was 6'3 and ran upright, so injuries were bound to come, but he was a pretty damn good back when healthy.

Ness 05-16-2013 07:42 AM

I loved Chris Brown. I wish he was able to stay healthy. I have the game where he and the Titans punked the Packers in their own house during the 2004 season. Loved that game. Can't believe it was almost ten years ago.

Splat 05-16-2013 07:51 AM