Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   How Good is Teddy Bridgewater? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56737)

Kyle472 05-21-2013 06:39 AM

How Good is Teddy Bridgewater?
 
Is he a Andrew Luck is he a RG3 is he in between them how good is he?

AntoinCD 05-21-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3368793)
Is he a Andrew Luck

No

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3368793)
is he a RG3


No

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3368793)
is he in between them

No

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3368793)
how good is he?

He has the potential to be a franchise passer and be seen that way as a prospect, however IMO he is somewhere between Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford as a prospect and is probably the only person who can challenge Clowney for the first overall pick at this stage

princefielder28 05-21-2013 08:32 AM

I don't see Bridgewater being Luck good, but I see a special player. Probably my favorite statistic from this past season: completed 71 percent of his throws that traveled six to 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

vidae 05-21-2013 09:36 AM

He's purty good.

Hurricanes25 05-21-2013 10:34 AM

I love Bridgewater but he's not on Luck's level as a prospect. I'd put him in the same tier as Matt Stafford.

MassNole 05-21-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 (Post 3368937)
I love Bridgewater but he's not on Luck's level as a prospect. I'd put him in the same tier as Matt Stafford.

He's not even close to Stafford coming out of college. Because it will be another down year for QBs he may be the first one taken, but that is more a product of teams needing QB and him being the prettiest piece of garbage in the draft.

BamaFalcon59 05-21-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3368963)
He's not even close to Stafford coming out of college. Because it will be another down year for QBs he may be the first one taken, but that is more a product of teams needing QB and him being the prettiest piece of garbage in the draft.

I disagree. Stafford had/has a more talented arm but Bridgewater has the intangibles to go along with a more than adequate physical toolset. And I hated Geno Smith.

Nastradamus 05-21-2013 11:23 AM

I think Teddy's a stud. He has RG3 or Kaepernick caliber potential. Don't forget how much Griffin's stock shot up his final year in college. He was barely on the radar before that.

bigbluedefense 05-21-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3368893)
He's purty good.

You're still hoping huh? NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

Babylon 05-21-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastradamus (Post 3369010)
I think Teddy's a stud. He has RG3 or Kaepernick caliber potential. Don't forget how much Griffin's stock shot up his final year in college. He was barely on the radar before that.

I see more of a pocket passer than someone who is going to take off and run and that may be a good thing for his future health. I'd put Bridgewater in the Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan class as far as safe, clean prospects.

Big picture I think there are 4 QBs in play for being the first off the board:

Bridgewater
Mariota
Manziel
Hundley

Trogdor 05-21-2013 01:26 PM

I love Bridgewater but he has to take another step this year. He's one heck of a pocket-passer and made HUGE strides in his Soph year. If he makes a similar jump again he'll be hands down the best QB in this class and IMHO very much on the Stafford level.

Given I hedged with the "must take another step" however I could easily see that happening given he was a true sophomore last year. Bridgewater is certainly a pocket passer however he has the athletic prowess to break off a nice gain.

norcalgsr 05-21-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3368793)
Is he a Andrew Luck is he a RG3 is he in between them how good is he?

Aaron Rodgers.

norcalgsr 05-21-2013 02:54 PM

Matt Stafford has a great arm, but he's not that good of a QB.

MassNole 05-21-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor (Post 3369201)
I love Bridgewater but he has to take another step this year. He's one heck of a pocket-passer and made HUGE strides in his Soph year. If he makes a similar jump again he'll be hands down the best QB in this class and IMHO very much on the Stafford level.

Given I hedged with the "must take another step" however I could easily see that happening given he was a true sophomore last year. Bridgewater is certainly a pocket passer however he has the athletic prowess to break off a nice gain.

What will make his progress really, really hard to gauge will be Louisville's god awful schedule in 2013.

Cigaro 05-21-2013 03:17 PM

Matt Ryan.

dmoneyrockin 05-21-2013 06:59 PM

I say a better passing McNabb. Definitely a long time franchise QB.

TACKLE 05-21-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3368793)
is he a RG3

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3368805)
No


Agreed. Even as a sophomore, Teddy was much further along as a passer than RG3 ever was at Baylor.

Kyle472 05-21-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmoneyrockin (Post 3369539)
I say a better passing McNabb. Definitely a long time franchise QB.

Racist of course you compare him to a black guy that was drafted 10+ years ago.

Babylon 05-21-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle472 (Post 3369562)
Racist of course you compare him to a black guy that was drafted 10+ years ago.

for his sake hope it's not Akili Smith.

FUNBUNCHER 05-21-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3369542)
Agreed. Even as a sophomore, Teddy was much further along as a passer than RG3 ever was at Baylor.


I know this is an 'opinion' and unlikely quantifiable. But it's still IMO a gross exaggeration.

People allow Griffin's athleticism to distract from how well he threw the football at Baylor in 2011.

Bridgewater may have a better overall understanding of passing concepts and a greater repertoire of throws than Griffin did in 2011, but I still question the 'much further along' statement.

TACKLE 05-21-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3369674)
I know this is an 'opinion' and unlikely quantifiable. But it's still IMO a gross exaggeration.

People allow Griffin's athleticism to distract from how well he threw the football at Baylor in 2011.

Bridgewater may have a better overall understanding of passing concepts and a greater repertoire of throws than Griffin did in 2011, but I still question the 'much further along' statement.


Yes, Teddy's better in those two areas as well as his ball placement especially on mid range passes, footwork, balance and certainly his pocket movement and awareness which is still a relative weakness of RG3 to this day.

There's really no anti-RG3 agenda behind this post but honestly, other than speed/athleticism, I'm not sure there's any other areas in which I'd give RG3 an edge (arm strength is a push) over Teddy as a prospect. And if that's the case then saying he's much further along than RG3 was really isn't a "gross exaggeration".

FUNBUNCHER 05-22-2013 12:56 AM

No QB prospect in recent memory has had the deep ball accuracy of RG3.
'Pocket movement and awareness', not sure what you mean by this, particularly when Grif was at Baylor. Evading the rush in the pocket without scrambling downfield and stepping up when the pocket formed, Grif was never remedial in those aspects as a collegian.

Grading another prospect as 'better' in certain categories is a far cry from saying prospect X is 'much further along' than prospect Y.

BTW the only real advantage that I see Bridgewater has over RGIII as prospects is offensive scheme. Teddy is being schooled in pro concepts that Grif wasn't exposed to until he got to the NFL.

However, with the implementation of spread and pistol concepts in the NFL, I don't know if being coached exclusively in a pro style offense automatically gives one QB prospect a higher grade than the other.

Am I picking nits because I'm a Skins fan?? Probably.
Is Bridgewater a better pure passer than Griffin was at Baylor?? To be honest I haven't watched enough of Bridgewater to say where he is precisely except for very general observations.
Let's just say I view RG3 as a QB with very few weaknesses and nearly unlimited upside.

But Teddy does make a helluva lot of what appear to be pro level difficulty throws. His touch and timing are immaculate.

Caulibflower 05-22-2013 01:38 AM

...Chad Pennington?

AntoinCD 05-22-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACKLE (Post 3369542)
Agreed. Even as a sophomore, Teddy was much further along as a passer than RG3 ever was at Baylor.

Things I like about Bridgewater are he wants to be a pocket passer but can pick up some yards when necessary, when he does get out of the pocket he keeps his eyes downfield, he goes through his progressions very well and his ball placement is very good. However right now I don't think his arm is that impressive and I'm not sure he can make every throw. Now looking at guys like Brady and Brees, they didn't have great arms and arm strength is something which can be improved, but right now it's a projection to say he will improve enough to warrant all the hype he is getting.

Especially on intermediate throws to the sideline to his right, at times he kinda floats those balls when he should be zipping them. If he does that in the NFL CBs will just squat on those routes and make him pay.

His combination of good traits right now outweigh his negative ones, that's why I see him as a potential high pick, but he does have some areas of improvement in this coming year.

As for the RG3 comment, he isn't on the same level as RG3 when he came out, but he still has time to grow. RG3 had a freakish combination of arm strength, accuracy and elusiveness. Bridgewater is a different type of player. Personally I see a guy who is as accurate as Bradford, better equipped to play in the NFL than Bradford as far as "pro-readiness" but has a relatively similar arm, possibly a little stronger

TACKLE 05-22-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3369717)
No QB prospect in recent memory has had the deep ball accuracy of RG3.
'Pocket movement and awareness', not sure what you mean by this, particularly when Grif was at Baylor. Evading the rush in the pocket without scrambling downfield and stepping up when the pocket formed, Grif was never remedial in those aspects as a collegian.

Grading another prospect as 'better' in certain categories is a far cry from saying prospect X is 'much further along' than prospect Y.

BTW the only real advantage that I see Bridgewater has over RGIII as prospects is offensive scheme. Teddy is being schooled in pro concepts that Grif wasn't exposed to until he got to the NFL.

However, with the implementation of spread and pistol concepts in the NFL, I don't know if being coached exclusively in a pro style offense automatically gives one QB prospect a higher grade than the other.

Am I picking nits because I'm a Skins fan?? Probably.
Is Bridgewater a better pure passer than Griffin was at Baylor?? To be honest I haven't watched enough of Bridgewater to say where he is precisely except for very general observations.
Let's just say I view RG3 as a QB with very few weaknesses and nearly unlimited upside.

But Teddy does make a helluva lot of what appear to be pro level difficulty throws. His touch and timing are immaculate.

now the bolded part is what i really don't get...why would you have strong opinion on the discussion at hand when you openly admit you don't have enough information to have an informed opinion? that doesn't make sense to me because i'd like to hope this isn't just a blind crusade to defend your favorite player on your favorite team.


and i couldn't care less that bridgewater played in a "pro style offense" and i damn sure never implied that he automatically carries a higher grade because of the offense he played in. please refrain from putting words into my mouth for future reference. let me try to break it down in a more simple way. i said teddy was further along as a passer meaning more developed. what characteristics are associated with a well-developed passer? footwork, throwing mechanics, anticipatory skills (reflection of conceptual understanding and trust in eyes) and the ability to maintain these fundamentals while in the confines of the pocket. 2012 teddy bridgewater grades out better in each one of these areas than 2011 robert griffin did.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.