Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   DJ Hayden hospitalized for past week (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56788)

nobodyinparticular 05-28-2013 03:26 PM

DJ Hayden hospitalized for past week

The Raiders' 1st round draft pick as been in the hospital for the past week due to an abdominal issue. The rumor is that Hayden has undergone a "procedure" (read: surgery) to remove scar tissue in his chest from the surgery that saved his life in November of 2012.

It is being reported that he will miss the rest of offseason activities, but there is no indication this will cause him to miss training camp.

NFL.com

Hayden tweeted on May 20th that he was experiencing stomach pain

Twitter

This is huge NFL news because of how it relates to the safety of the game, this was a big story in the NFL draft and this is a high 1st round draft pick.

Don Vito 05-28-2013 03:28 PM

Damn, hope he is OK. That was some scary **** he went through last year.

BallerT1215 05-28-2013 03:29 PM

Oh boy - I hope it was just a simple procedure and the removal of the scar tissue will be what was needed.

nobodyinparticular 05-28-2013 03:33 PM

If Hayden misses considerable time, I would imagine it locks the Raiders even more into the #1 position. Their defensive backfield was already hurting. To miss a high 1st round pick like Hayden just makes it worse.

Grizzlegom 05-28-2013 03:45 PM

Schefty is tweeting that he should be ready for TC but yea, that's definitely concerning.

J-Mike88 05-28-2013 07:29 PM

Put yourselves in his shoes, and remember he almost died, for real.

Aren't you going to play a little bit scared out there, in the back of your mind? That's gotta be natural, especially now.....

LonghornsLegend 05-30-2013 10:18 AM

Scary this is happening before he even had any contact. I just question what will happen the first time a big impact happens to his chest, he can't avoid it 100% of the time. This was a pick Oakland couldn't afford to miss on.

AcheTen (Thumper) 05-30-2013 10:37 AM

Why would you take this guy in the first round over one of the DT/DEs that was available?

Lunacy.

CBs are made more by their DLine than vice versa. You can get "good" DBs throughout the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Even if he was your #1 ranked CB, his medical issues were too much, especially when good prospects at higher-value positions (Shariff Floyd etc) were available at that pick.

stlouisfan37 05-30-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcheTen (Post 3375711)
Why would you take this guy in the first round over one of the DT/DEs that was available?

Lunacy.

CBs are made more by their DLine than vice versa. You can get "good" DBs throughout the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Even if he was your #1 ranked CB, his medical issues were too much, especially when good prospects at higher-value positions (Shariff Floyd etc) were available at that pick.

His injury was considered to be a freak accident, with the likelihood of it happening again being exponentially higher than it happening the first time. If he goes on to become the next Darrelle Revis, then the move is brilliant. If he doesn't pan out, everyone says "I told you so." For obvious reasons they are being cautious with him. I think it is too early to call this a blown pick.

Additionally, if they had taken Shariff Floyd and he was having abdominal problems, they would almost certainly handle it the exact same way. Have this procedure, take it easy, get healthy and we'll see you at training camp.

mightytitan9 05-30-2013 11:52 AM

People are looking too much into this. First off, his first injury as stlouisfan said was just a freak accident that happened. Most people who suffer that end up dead, he did not.

This surgery has nothing to do with the injury itself, but from the surgery to fix that injury. They had him cut open from nearly his collarbone to his belly button, when they sewed him up it was bound to get some nasty scar tissue from that sew job. When making a stitch on something that long they have to go deeper than they would on a normal cut because there is not underlying skin to hold the stitch together. Now that he is all healed underneath, he is going back under the knife to lessen the thickness (and try to remove it alltogether) of the scar tissue.

For those of you who haven't had scar tissue, it can be very painful when its hit. So I could see where pain would be for Hayden having shoulder pads on the chest. As someone that has had hernias and had surgeries for them, I can imagine scar tissue in the abdomen resembling the pain of a hernia.

I'm sure it will be fine, it's just a follow up on a previous procedure to make Hayden more comfortable

bigbluedefense 05-30-2013 11:56 AM

Reggie McKenzie is a clown.

princefielder28 05-30-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 3375737)
Reggie McKenzie is a clown.

I wouldn't call him a clown. There appeared to be quite a bit of interest in Hayden leading up to the draft, and if Oakland had not taken him, he likely would've been off the board somewhere in round one. Plus, he was also able to trade down from #3, accumulate more picks and he had a pretty strong draft. When it comes down to it, he needs to trust the word of the expert medical staff who evaluated him and forecast his health moving forward. Also, it's not like Hayden has missed a training camp yet or anything. Let everything play out and see whether or not he misses considerable time before we label McKenzie a clown.

FUNBUNCHER 05-30-2013 02:22 PM

Hayden's original injury was the equivalent of being hit by lightning. If he's fully recovered, it's almost impossible he's going to suffer a similar injury unless he's genetically predisposed to tear major blood vessels.

This second surgery in context is minor.
I still think Hayden will prove to be a shrewd pick by McKenzie.

Shreckart 05-30-2013 04:10 PM

There's bigger things in life than football, I hope #1) he becomes healthy to live a prosperous life, and then #2) he has a successful comeback and football career.

nobodyinparticular 05-30-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcheTen (Post 3375711)

Lunacy.

Because Sharrif Floyd is a piece of crap?

Guru 06-07-2013 11:29 PM

Hayden was my #1 rated CB, even over Milner, cause I thought his injury was over with. I was hoping that bold statement would have held up but I worried that he would have a setback despite all the reports that said he was fine. I hope this isn't a common theme through his career because he reminds me of a young antoine winfield. He has all the tools to be great and it's sad that he may not get to realize his vast potential. Prayers buddy.

bucfan12 06-08-2013 09:58 AM

Last time I checked, this abdominal injury has nothing related to his freak accident last year.

In other words: This is all a media blow up because of his past and the fact that the Oakland Raiders have a history of bad picks.

I like Hayden and he is a admirable person in my book. Dude is doing what many people would be afraid to do: After a near death injury performing the sport he loves to do, he has come back pretty much fearless to pursue a career. Takes something more than the 2 cahones strapped to any man to do that.