Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Donovan McNabb is a Genuine Ass (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56968)

stlouisfan37 07-10-2013 06:04 PM

Donovan McNabb is a Genuine Ass
 
Ever since he retired, it seems that Donovan McNabb has been highly critical of every quarterback in the league, save for the few upper echelon guys. I'm starting to get the feeling that, by putting other quarterbacks down, McNabb is trying to make himself feel about about his own career. In his latest rant, he claims that Matthew Stafford was overpaid because "it's all about the wins and losses."

Donavan, you won a lot of games that didn't matter and lost a lot that did.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs

The Alex 07-10-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 (Post 3400925)
Donavan, you won a lot of games that didn't matter and lost a lot that did.

How do you get to the "games that matter" if you don't win the ones that don't?

stlouisfan37 07-10-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alex (Post 3400927)
How do you get to the "games that matter" if you don't win the ones that don't?

Good point...however, I don't think McNabb oes down in history as one of the greats, and his credibility gets weaker every time he opens his mouth. At this point he is almost on a level as the great Joe Theisman

princefielder28 07-10-2013 06:24 PM

I don't see what the problem is, McNabb is correct.

Ness 07-10-2013 06:31 PM

Does Stafford's contract make him one of the top five paid at his position?

Anyways, it's just McNabb's opinion. The same as anyone else's here. Doesn't make them assholes.

stlouisfan37 07-10-2013 07:04 PM

Stafford's contract was a lot less than the recent contracts given to Flacco and Rodgers. And he has been very productive on a **** team. I think McNabb is way off the mark.

princefielder28 07-10-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 (Post 3400959)
Stafford's contract was a lot less than the recent contracts given to Flacco and Rodgers. And he has been very productive on a **** team. I think McNabb is way off the mark.

Rodgers and Flacco make the playoffs every year and have each won Super Bowls. Stafford has put up large numbers while throwing the ball around on a team that has struggled in the wins department. Not to mention that his mechanics are getting worse and I wouldn't label him as someone who is improving.

stlouisfan37 07-10-2013 07:23 PM

I wasn't suggesting that he is on par with those guys. What I said was that he got considerably less money than they did. Stafford and Calvin have pretty much kept that team alive. $15 mil is pretty much the going rate these days for a franchise QB. Anyone can say that they would rather have this guy or that guy, but he is their franchise QB and I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Lions shitcan the Matthew Stafford project. So for McNabb to say that Stafford isn't deserving of the going rate is absurd, in my opinion.

princefielder28 07-10-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlouisfan37 (Post 3400974)
I wasn't suggesting that he is on par with those guys. What I said was that he got considerably less money than they did. Stafford and Calvin have pretty much kept that team alive. $15 mil is pretty much the going rate these days for a franchise QB. Anyone can say that they would rather have this guy or that guy, but he is their franchise QB and I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Lions shitcan the Matthew Stafford project. So for McNabb to say that Stafford isn't deserving of the going rate is absurd, in my opinion.

Has Stafford really proven he's a "franchise" caliber quarterback? Skill set suggests he has the ability to be THAT good but looking at this past season he was a part of the problem, not the solution.

Brent 07-10-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3401055)
Has Stafford really proven he's a "franchise" caliber quarterback?

If throwing, seemingly, half your passes to CJ counts, yes.

J-Mike88 07-10-2013 10:47 PM

Who has a checklist of the QB's that McNabb has ripped?

I can remember:
Romo
Stafford

I sense some jealousy from McNabb.
Sure some truth to what he's said, but Romo & Stafford either are better than some people think, or they're fooling their coaches/GM's/owners.

I'm not a huge fan of either guy but I think they're close- or as talented as Flacco is.
Megatron is great, but so is Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones.
You don't automatically rack up stats like we've seen -at times- Romo & Stafford rack up.

Again, McNabb is mostly a bitter, Warren Moon like ex-QB who failed to win a Super Bowl ever.

Ness 07-10-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mike88 (Post 3401106)
Again, McNabb is mostly a bitter, Warren Moon like ex-QB who failed to win a Super Bowl ever.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. If he had won a championship does that change your attitude on his opinion?

BallerT1215 07-10-2013 11:31 PM

I always loved D-Mcnabb but he is just flat out wrong.

They won 0 games in a season before Stafford got there....0 folks...and 2 years ago he dropped 41 tds on the way to a playoff berth. Last year was a down year, but he also was let down by every one of his WR/TE's at some point during the year. Hell, even Megatron dropped 2+ TD's last year. By the end, everyone was hurt/suspended and Durham was his #2 WR. What did you want him to do? Stafford is a franchise QB and warrants that contract. Best thing about him is he could be having a horrible game for 2 or 3 quarters, but he never loses his confidence and can start a 80 yd drive at any moment. You can't say that about a lot of QB's in the NFL. Gunslinger.

Donovan is speaking out of his ass on this one.

J-Mike88 07-10-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3401142)
I don't think that has anything to do with it. If he had won a championship does that change your attitude on his opinion?

No, but I think it'd change his attitude on the opinion.

prock 07-10-2013 11:35 PM

The alternative is not resigning him and starting over with ******* nothing at quarterback. That's a fine extension. Stafford will be a fine quarterback for a long time.

niel89 07-10-2013 11:59 PM

Stafford deserves the money easily. QBs cost a lot and no one wants to start over when you have a legit franchise guy. I wonder if more QBs will go for higher guarenteed money like Brady did. Its safer and they can actually demand it.

Mcnabb is an asshole but I can see an arguement that Stafford needs to win more. Stafford should do better than 4 wins last year even though some of his receivers sucked. The Lions are worlds better talent wise than when they went 0-16. Stafford is talented and is young but he fell like a stone from the previous year. He should be more than a 4 win team.

WCH 07-10-2013 11:59 PM

He just turned 25 in February and he's thrown for 61 TDs and 10,000 yards over the past two seasons. His 2.3% interception percentage is well within the range that most people would consider to be acceptable.

The Lions problem is their owner. Until he dies, they're going to suck.

Ness 07-11-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mike88 (Post 3401163)
No, but I think it'd change his attitude on the opinion.

Really? If McNabb had won a Super Bowl his opinion on whether Matt Stafford deserves to be a top 5 quarterback in terms of money would change? Well, okay then.

Brothgar 07-11-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ness (Post 3401171)
Really? If McNabb had won a Super Bowl his opinion on whether Matt Stafford deserves to be a top 5 quarterback in terms of money would change? Well, okay then.

He'd be less butt hurt and less of a hater.

mightytitan9 07-11-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mike88 (Post 3401106)
Who has a checklist of the QB's that McNabb has ripped?

I can remember:
Romo
Stafford

I sense some jealousy from McNabb.

Sure some truth to what he's said, but Romo & Stafford either are better than some people think, or they're fooling their coaches/GM's/owners.

I'm not a huge fan of either guy but I think they're close- or as talented as Flacco is.
Megatron is great, but so is Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones.
You don't automatically rack up stats like we've seen -at times- Romo & Stafford rack up.

Again, McNabb is mostly a bitter, Warren Moon like ex-QB who failed to win a Super Bowl ever.

I don't really see a point in what McNabb is doing, just speaking honestly. Whether that's from jealousy or what I am not sure. It's not like McNabb didn't get some nice money back when he played, maybe he's just jealous of the larger signing bonuses that are handed out to QBs now.

Ness 07-11-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brothgar (Post 3401179)
He'd be less butt hurt and less of a hater.

Well, I'll just say that many "analysts" in the national spotlight that have won championships have said more outlandish things.

princefielder28 07-11-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WCH (Post 3401169)
He just turned 25 in February and he's thrown for 61 TDs and 10,000 yards over the past two seasons. His 2.3% interception percentage is well within the range that most people would consider to be acceptable.

The Lions problem is their owner. Until he dies, they're going to suck.

Ignore the eye popping stats with him; he threw the ball 1,390 times over these last two seasons. His yards per attempt is nothing to get excited about either.

LonghornsLegend 07-11-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3401235)
Ignore the eye popping stats with him; he threw the ball 1,390 times over these last two seasons. His yards per attempt is nothing to get excited about either.

If we did that with Drew Brees the last 2 years what would that tell us about him?

FUNBUNCHER 07-11-2013 08:06 AM

Other than Romo(less the arm), no QB reminds me more of Brett Favre than Matt Stafford.
Yeah there are aspects of his overall game Stafford needs to clean up, but there's no way Detroit can NOT pay him.

Donovan said the best QBs in the league are SB winners, and since Stafford hasn't won a SB he doesn't deserve his money.

This is an asinine argument.

Now I know why RG3 refuses to return McNabb's phonecalls.

bigbluedefense 07-11-2013 08:17 AM

I think the problem is, teams are overpaying for quarterbacks. Every qb who is good is getting paid like the best qb in the league. Teams are so afraid of letting a qb walk in FA that they feel obligated to overpay for them.

Tony Romo is a perfect example. The man got paid Flacco money and has 1 playoff win. Why did Dallas pay him so much? The fear of the unknown. They're afraid to see what would happen if they let him walk and had no quarterback. So that fear causes them to overpay.

Dallas isn't the only team guilty of this. Most if not all teams are. It's a problem that needs to be identified by teams.

I'm waiting to see that one team who has the guts to say, you know what, you're solid, and we win with you, but you're worth X amount of dollars, and if you want more than we're ok with you hitting FA. We'll rebuild and draft a qb.

One team is going to be bold enough to do this eventually, and it's going to be the right decision.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.