Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   College Gameday Thread: Week 2 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57317)

draftguru151 09-03-2013 08:10 AM

College Gameday Thread: Week 2

Thursday night:
FAU vs ECU (FS1)

Friday night:
Wake Forest vs BC (ESPN2)

Saturday noon:
#10 Florida vs Miami (ESPN)
Cincinnati vs Illinois (ESPN2)
USF vs Michigan State (ESPNU)
#13 Oklahoma State vs UTSA (FS1)
Southeastern Louisiana vs #20 TCU (FS1)

Saturday afternoon:
San Diego State vs #2 Ohio State (ABC/ESPN2)
#3 Oregon vs Virginia (ABC/ESPN2)
Toledo vs Mizzou (ESPNU)
Buffalo vs Baylor (FS1)
#6 South Carolina vs #5 Georgia (ESPN)

Saturday night:
Louisiana-Lafayette vs Kansas State (FS1)
UAB vs #12 LSU (ESPNU)
#15 Texas vs BYU (ESPN2)
West Virginia vs #16 Oklahoma (FOX)
#14 Notre Dame vs #17 Michigan (ESPN)
Washington State vs #24 USC (FS1)

MassNole 09-03-2013 08:26 AM

You know Labor Day games are a tease. Wait til everyone else has played then a bye week.

Just more time to reflect on how good Jameis Winston is.

jrdrylie 09-03-2013 08:57 AM

DG must have beef with UCF. You never list their games, jerk. Even when they are one of two games on Friday.

draftguru151 09-03-2013 09:06 AM

I actually don't know what channel CBS Sports is so I refuse to acknoledge it.

I actually watched some of the game last week! Storm and Bortles looked solid.

Oh, and diediedie UF.

jrdrylie 09-03-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151 (Post 3436898)
I actually don't know what channel CBS Sports is so I refuse to acknoledge it.

I actually watched some of the game last week! Storm and Bortles looked solid.

Oh, and diediedie UF.

Thanks for Storm btw :banana:

I think you have a good chance against Florida. If Driskel improved at all from last season, it didn't show on Saturday. It looks like the Gators will continue to try to win with their QB throwing for 125 ypg.

shylo3716 09-03-2013 09:35 AM

I want to go to the Oregon vs UVA game so bad to see Mamba, but I have to work. :freakout:

MassNole 09-03-2013 10:24 AM

Here's hoping for a meteor to strike South Florida around 1pm on Saturday.

MassNole 09-03-2013 10:31 AM

So the nation's leader in QB Rating is none other than Black Jesus.

sbh15 09-03-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3436903)
I think you have a good chance against Florida. If Driskel improved at all from last season, it didn't show on Saturday. It looks like the Gators will continue to try to win with their QB throwing for 125 ypg.

there was no sign of improvement against toledo because we played toledo. this coaching staff just doesn't reveal anything in the tune-up games.. you'll see the real offense against miami.

also driskel completed 17/22 against toledo which is pretty impressive given some of his games last season. and that was a game where he attempted maybe one downfield pass so the yardage total is misleading

Jcn92 09-03-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3436939)

Yeah but he's sixth in ESPN's QBR, a more accurate measure in my opinion because it measures strictly the QBs contribution and adjusts for the defense he faced.

jrdrylie 09-03-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 3437000)
there was no sign of improvement against toledo because we played toledo. this coaching staff just doesn't reveal anything in the tune-up games.. you'll see the real offense against miami.

also driskel completed 17/22 against toledo which is pretty impressive given some of his games last season. and that was a game where he attempted maybe one downfield pass so the yardage total is misleading

Or maybe the lack of downfield passing caused the 17-22 to be misleading. The yardage total is the norm as I'm pretty sure he had more games last year under 100 yards than he did over 200.

MassNole 09-03-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcn92 (Post 3437003)
Yeah but he's sixth in ESPN's QBR, a more accurate measure in my opinion because it measures strictly the QBs contribution and adjusts for the defense he faced.

It looks like it was lower because he didn't run as much, but adjusting for the defense played, Pitt's defense (Top 20 in 2012, returns 9 starters) is worlds better than FIU, Nicholls State, Ohio, Nevada, or Idaho.

iowatreat54 09-03-2013 12:35 PM

Hooray for week 2! Probably Iowa's only chance at winning a game this year, although Purdon't looks crappy too, jNW is still jNW, and it's about time we reclaim Kinnick North from the lolphers.

MassNole 09-03-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowatreat54 (Post 3437025)
Hooray for week 2! Probably Iowa's only chance at winning a game this year, although Purdon't looks crappy too, jNW is still jNW, and it's about time we reclaim Kinnick North from the lolphers.

I'd didn't realize until just looking how atrocious Iowa's OOC schedule is this season. 2 MAC teams, Iowa State, and a FCS school?

Actually after looking at everyone's schedule in the B1G, other than the traditional games with Notre Dame for Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue, the entire conference's OOC schedule makes the SEC look ambitious in OOC scheduling practices. I guess the 5th best conference needs to do something to pad its numbers.

jrdrylie 09-03-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowatreat54 (Post 3437025)

How long until you guys can fire Ferentz without it backrupting you?

MassNole 09-03-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3437031)

I never understood why he is paid so much to be such an average coach in the scheme of things.

BallerT1215 09-03-2013 12:57 PM

Oregon is going to slaughter Virginia.

Florida/Miami is a dandy but damn it why 12???

Oh and I'll be building my Winston and Telvin Smith shrines this weekend since we're off.

Jcn92 09-03-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

I never realized how awful that contract is. Jesus it is awful. If they were to fire him today the buyout says that they would have to pay him monthly installments of 220,000 dollars until 2020.

Iowa fans are honestly in one of the worst positions imagineable I can imagine. Apparently Ferentz has the support of the older alumni and has his backers since he has been there so long. I read they gave him that contract after the 2009 season because he had a history of being courted by NFL teams. I went back and looked at that 2009 season and it wasn't even that impressive. They lost at home to Northwestern, beat Northern Iowa at home by one, barely beat a Rich Rodriguez Michigan team, and their only impressive win was against Wisconsin.

sbh15 09-03-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3437005)
Or maybe the lack of downfield passing caused the 17-22 to be misleading. The yardage total is the norm as I'm pretty sure he had more games last year under 100 yards than he did over 200.

from everything i've read, SEC coaches expect driskel to be one of the league's most improved players so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now

MassNole 09-03-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3437042)
Oregon is going to slaughter Virginia.

Florida/Miami is a dandy but damn it why 12???

Oh and I'll be building my Winston and Telvin Smith shrines this weekend since we're off.

Really it should be the 8pm game, but since Notre Dame and Michigan are being children with their future scheduling they bump up the "significance" of their game.

Babylon 09-03-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 3437000)

I thought Driskel played pretty well. The game plan is the short passing game and he executed it well. Not sure who there is a deep threat.

Driskel has every tool in the book but every once in a while his inner Jake Locker comes out. To me he looked pretty good.

MassNole 09-03-2013 01:51 PM

Go Figthing Irish! Beet Mishigan.

iowatreat54 09-03-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Probably a couple years. Although, it's not like Iowa can't afford it, they just would rather not have to pay it and hope things at least level out until his contract is up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3437034)
I never understood why he is paid so much to be such an average coach in the scheme of things.

Probably because he was locked up after 2002 when he was thought of as one of the top, not really old coaches in the country and everyone thought he was going to jump to the NFL. Then he was extended after the Orange Bowl winning season.

Not really that hard to understand the place Iowa was in. He is overpaid right now, but at the time they thought they were locking up one of the top coaches in the nation for years to come while slightly overpaying him to stay at a place like Iowa. In hindsight, it was a bad decision but meh. There's nothing we can do about it now but hope by some miracle it gets turned around.

At least our defense outside of the secondary looks to be back to normal.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 09-03-2013 02:02 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...89--ncaaf.html
How long till Mack Brown is let go? Apparently he didn't want Winston..

Quote:

Remember, this is the same Mack Brown that wanted the last two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks – Baylor’s Robert Griffin III and Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel – to play defensive back for the Longhorns.

Winston could potentially be a third Heisman Trophy winning QB to get the snub by Brown and his staff. And they wonder why they’ve been “rebuilding” for the past few years.

iowatreat54 09-03-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 3437029)
I'd didn't realize until just looking how atrocious Iowa's OOC schedule is this season. 2 MAC teams, Iowa State, and a FCS school?

Actually after looking at everyone's schedule in the B1G, other than the traditional games with Notre Dame for Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue, the entire conference's OOC schedule makes the SEC look ambitious in OOC scheduling practices. I guess the 5th best conference needs to do something to pad its numbers.

Yup, our OOC schedule is really bad, but so are we. Looks almost identical to FSU's OOC schedule in 2012, except we don't play anyone as good as '12 Florida and only get to face 1 FCS team whereas you got 2.

We are awful, what's FSU's excuse?