Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Brett Hundley WILL Be the First Pick in 2014 NFL Draft (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57385)

MI_Buckeye 09-16-2013 12:24 AM

Brett Hundley WILL Be the First Pick in 2014 NFL Draft
 
While the simpleton media is fixated on Jadaveon Clowney, and the draftnicks have been making their case for Teddy Bridgewater; it has become clear to me that Hundley will clearly be at the top of the charts come draft time.

While the media has been talking about the Clowney sweepstakes, I currently give him about a three precent chance of going No. 1 overall. Even if he finishes the year with 20 sacks, there is just no way a DE will go ahead of an elite QB prospect. Even in years where there wasn't a top-of-the-line QB available they have still been picked ahead of freakish defensive talents. Bradford went ahead of Suh, and Cam was taken before Von Miller.

I think both Hundley and Bridgewater are better prospects than either Bradford or Newton were. And while conventional wisdom has Bridgewater ahead of Hundley at the moment, I don't see how he holds onto that perch.

Bridgewater is as good as any QB we have seen in a while pre-snap, but that is the only edge he holds on Hundley. Hundley already looks like a Pro Bowl-level pocket passer, has a howitzer and is as explosive and athletic as Cam or Colin Kaepernick.

In the end, I think both QBs will be selected before Clowney, and both will be great QBs very early. I just think the upside of Hundley makes him the CLEAR frontrunner to go No. 1 overall.

bucfan12 09-16-2013 12:40 AM

Agree 100%. However, it's tough to know if he's ready for the NFL right now after just 2 years playing at the college level. To me, that's not enough film. I don;t think he declares.

Babylon 09-16-2013 12:47 AM

I think he stays another year. He's good but he reminds me a little of Jason Campbell out of Auburn.

My top QBs going forward would probably be Jameis Winston, Blake Bortles and Chrisitan Hackenburg.

FUNBUNCHER 09-16-2013 08:03 AM

Hundley is right in the mix to be one of the first QBs taken, I totally see that.
All Jason Campbell really did at Auburn was hand off to Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. Hundley is balling out for UCLA.

I could easily see a scenario where Hundley and Mariota go ahead of Bridgewater in the April 2014 draft. Both guys are physical prototypes for the position.

Black Bolt 09-16-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3448428)
Hundley is right in the mix to be one of the first QBs taken, I totally see that.
All Jason Campbell really did at Auburn was hand off to Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. Hundley is balling out for UCLA.

I could easily see a scenario where Hundley and Mariota go ahead of Bridgewater in the April 2014 draft. Both guys are physical prototypes for the position.

Fine with me. Push Clowney and Barr down to the Raiders.

Babylon 09-16-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3448428)
Hundley is right in the mix to be one of the first QBs taken, I totally see that.
All Jason Campbell really did at Auburn was hand off to Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. Hundley is balling out for UCLA.

I could easily see a scenario where Hundley and Mariota go ahead of Bridgewater in the April 2014 draft. Both guys are physical prototypes for the position.

You do have a point about Campbell handing the ball off to Brown and Williams. That and the 854 pass attempts at he had while at Auburn.

Black Bolt 09-16-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER (Post 3448428)
Hundley is right in the mix to be one of the first QBs taken, I totally see that.
All Jason Campbell really did at Auburn was hand off to Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. Hundley is balling out for UCLA.

I could easily see a scenario where Hundley and Mariota go ahead of Bridgewater in the April 2014 draft. Both guys are physical prototypes for the position.

That's not true.

BamaFalcon59 09-16-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI_Buckeye (Post 3448283)
While the simpleton media is fixated on Jadaveon Clowney, and the draftnicks have been making their case for Teddy Bridgewater; it has become clear to me that Hundley will clearly be at the top of the charts come draft time.

While the media has been talking about the Clowney sweepstakes, I currently give him about a three precent chance of going No. 1 overall. Even if he finishes the year with 20 sacks, there is just no way a DE will go ahead of an elite QB prospect. Even in years where there wasn't a top-of-the-line QB available they have still been picked ahead of freakish defensive talents. Bradford went ahead of Suh, and Cam was taken before Von Miller.

I think both Hundley and Bridgewater are better prospects than either Bradford or Newton were. And while conventional wisdom has Bridgewater ahead of Hundley at the moment, I don't see how he holds onto that perch.

Bridgewater is as good as any QB we have seen in a while pre-snap, but that is the only edge he holds on Hundley. Hundley already looks like a Pro Bowl-level pocket passer, has a howitzer and is as explosive and athletic as Cam or Colin Kaepernick.

In the end, I think both QBs will be selected before Clowney, and both will be great QBs very early. I just think the upside of Hundley makes him the CLEAR frontrunner to go No. 1 overall.

Hundley is not as athletic or explosive as Newton or Kaepernick. Not close.

SolidGold 09-16-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 (Post 3448789)
Hundley is not as athletic or explosive as Newton or Kaepernick. Not close.

On top of that he isn't even the best QB in the conference. Mariota, Mannion and Hogan will all be huge risers with great potential to be 1st round QBs.

SickwithIt1010 09-16-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3448812)
On top of that he isn't even the best QB in the conference. Mariota, Mannion and Hogan will all be huge risers with great potential to be 1st round QBs.

He is most definitely better than Mannion so idk why you added his name...and I would still likely take him over Hogan (who I am very fond of).

BallerT1215 09-16-2013 07:28 PM

This is quite a bold statement, but I wouldn't say it is impossible. I think it would be best for him to remain another year, but he definitely has the talent to be a 1st rnd pick. 1st overall?? I'm not so positive.

SolidGold 09-16-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3448849)
He is most definitely better than Mannion so idk why you added his name...and I would still likely take him over Hogan (who I am very fond of).

Mannion is underrated/under-appreciated. Has the size, arm strength and accuracy coveted at the position. I find it funny that more people do not talk about Mannion.

Iamcanadian 09-19-2013 03:41 AM

Hundley is certainly in the running but I strongly suspect that Teddy Bridgewater will win out in the post season, once they all get to show their stuff, and you cannot leave a # of other QB's off the list of possible #1's by the end of the season.

Really beginning to look like we have a 1st rate QB class if they all declare.

SolidGold 09-19-2013 10:04 AM

No Bortles or Mannion...wtf.

vidae 09-19-2013 10:18 AM

He's not an Andrew Luck type prospect so to claim he'll be the first pick in September is laughable at best.

BamaFalcon59 09-19-2013 11:36 AM

Poor man's Jameis Winston.

SolidGold 09-19-2013 12:56 PM

I don't understand how he is getting all this hype coming off the Nebraska game. Brett Smith led a lesser talented Wyoming team to almost a comeback win vs Nebraska in week 1. Nebraska's defense stinks.

Witten4HOF 09-20-2013 08:31 AM

I don't think that he is going to come out this year unless his stats go completely bananas for the rest of the year. The QB class lookes pretty strong and he would have a much better shot at #1 next year imo. On the flip side he might want to jump in the water while the hype train is hot to protect himself from a Logan Thomas type free fall if he flops.

Babylon 09-20-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witten4HOF (Post 3451459)
I don't think that he is going to come out this year unless his stats go completely bananas for the rest of the year. The QB class lookes pretty strong and he would have a much better shot at #1 next year imo. On the flip side he might want to jump in the water while the hype train is hot to protect himself from a Logan Thomas type free fall if he flops.

He's a much better player than Logan Thomas. I have Hundley as a 1st rounder just not sure he gets above that Joe Flacco, Josh Freeman area of the draft.

fredder 09-26-2013 11:08 AM

I'm also really high on Hundley but I really don't see him passing Bridgewater on anyone's rankings. I struggle to find any areas where Hundley is superior to Bridgewater at this point. Possibly arm strength but Bridgewater is more than adequate in that department and in my opinion extra arm strength becomes mostly irrelevant after you reach a certain threshold. As long as you can throw all of the breaking routes with zip it doesn't really matter if you can throw the ball an extra 10 yards on a go route.

I don't see the same explosive athleticism as Kaepernick or Newton when I watch Hundley play. That's not a big deal though as I think that kind of athleticism is overrated in Qbs. I think Hundley and Bridgewater have athleticism comparable to Tannehill or Geno Smith in that they can get outside the pocket, throw on the run, and every once in a while pick up a first down with their legs.

Right now I see Hundley as being similar to Tannehill as a prospect, maybe slightly better. They're both relatively raw with great physical tools and upside. On the other hand I see Bridgewater as being slightly behind Andrew Luck as a prospect.

I currently see Hundley as the clear #2 QB in the 2014 draft and if I'm a team that needs a Qb I'm willing to take him as early as necessary including ahead of Clowney if I have to. With that said I think he could benefit from an extra year under Jim Mora and if he came back he would likely be viewed in much the same way as Bridgewater is this year and be the clear cut #1 pick to start the season.

Babylon 09-26-2013 12:18 PM

^

I think he'd be wise to stay another year also. Not so much for his draft rankings but rather to get the experience he'll need for the next level.

I've been up and down on Hundley. One week he looks like a top pick the next week i see Jason Campbell out of Auburn. As of now i'd have him behind Bridgewater, Mariota and Bortles and might even throw Manziel in there as how it pertains to the draft.

SolidGold 09-26-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredder (Post 3456673)
I'm also really high on Hundley but I really don't see him passing Bridgewater on anyone's rankings. I struggle to find any areas where Hundley is superior to Bridgewater at this point. Possibly arm strength but Bridgewater is more than adequate in that department and in my opinion extra arm strength becomes mostly irrelevant after you reach a certain threshold. As long as you can throw all of the breaking routes with zip it doesn't really matter if you can throw the ball an extra 10 yards on a go route.

I don't see the same explosive athleticism as Kaepernick or Newton when I watch Hundley play. That's not a big deal though as I think that kind of athleticism is overrated in Qbs. I think Hundley and Bridgewater have athleticism comparable to Tannehill or Geno Smith in that they can get outside the pocket, throw on the run, and every once in a while pick up a first down with their legs.

Right now I see Hundley as being similar to Tannehill as a prospect, maybe slightly better. They're both relatively raw with great physical tools and upside. On the other hand I see Bridgewater as being slightly behind Andrew Luck as a prospect.

I currently see Hundley as the clear #2 QB in the 2014 draft and if I'm a team that needs a Qb I'm willing to take him as early as necessary including ahead of Clowney if I have to. With that said I think he could benefit from an extra year under Jim Mora and if he came back he would likely be viewed in much the same way as Bridgewater is this year and be the clear cut #1 pick to start the season.

Bridgewater is not even close to being the same prospect Luck was. Luck was an elite prospect. I cannot see Bridgewater coming into the league and doing what Luck did with a terrible Colts team.

fredder 09-26-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3456731)
Bridgewater is not even close to being the same prospect Luck was. Luck was an elite prospect. I cannot see Bridgewater coming into the league and doing what Luck did with a terrible Colts team.

Maybe saying slightly behind was a bit of a stretch but I certainly think he's better than you seem to think he is. I was looking for a recent QB prospect to compare him to and I feel that Luck was the closest I could find even if he is a worse version of him. I definitely think he's better than Matt Ryan was as a prospect coming out of college. Scott used RG3 as a comparison for how highly he's viewed as a Qb and I agree with that but they're so different I didn't want to use him.

I don't see how you can say he's not an elite prospect. I've only heard great things about his intangibles. He's a hard worker who watches a ton of game tape and seems to be highly demanding of himself. He's a great leader who is willing to play through pain. He has more than adequate arm strength although I'll admit it's not elite but like I said I think elite arm strength is overrated. He has a great understanding of the game for someone his age. He very rarely makes mistakes and almost always makes the correct read. He's aldo incredibly accurate on underneath throws. His athleticism also isn't elite like RG3 or Cam Newton but he's capable of getting out of the pocket and throwing on the run.

The only real flaw I've found, and I mentioned this in anoyher thread, is that he struggles with his touch on deep balls. It's a real concern but no prospect is perfect and I think this is one of the more fixable flaws. Brady and Brees are examples of guys who's deep ball accuracy improved as their careers progressed.

So yeah he's not the once a generation talent that Luck was but to say that he's not even close is crazy to me. I'd like to know what QB prospect you compare him to. I imagine we can both agree that he's better than Tannehill or Bradford. Do you agree that he is the clear cut #1 QB this year and should go #1 overall assuming that team needs a QB?

Babylon 09-26-2013 01:45 PM

I don't think Bridgewater is the clear cut #1 QB. If the Eagles are drafting at the top of the draft i could see Chip going for Mariota or there could be the Blake Bortles following that see him as the next Jay Cutler.

Bridgewater is good no doubt but i think his height is a slight issue and he doesn't look like he's too comforatable under a pass rush. He played well against Florida but it is really hard to judge him based on that schedule they play. I remember Akili Smith devouring weak Pac-10 competition then not being much at the next level. Hope that's not the case.

BamaFalcon59 09-26-2013 01:50 PM

Bridgewater is on the Matt Ryan level as a prospect IMO. Ryan´s surrounding talent at BC was terrible.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.