Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   College Gameday Thread: Week 5 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57422)

draftguru151 09-23-2013 08:05 AM

College Gameday Thread: Week 5

Thursday night:
Virginia Tech vs Georgia Tech (ESPN)
Iowa State vs Tulsa (FS1)

Friday night:
Utah State vs San Jose State (ESPN)
Middle Tenn vs BYU (ESPNU)

Saturday noon:
#11 Oklahoma State vs West Virginia (ESPN)
#12 South Carolina vs UCF (ABC)
#15 Miami vs USF (ESPNU)
Northern Illinois vs Purdue (ESPN2)
SMU vs TCU (FS1)

Saturday afternoon:
#6 LSU vs #9 Georgia (CBS)
#14 Oklahoma vs #22 Notre Dame (NBC)
#8 FSU vs Boston College (ABC/ESPN2)
Iowa vs Minnesota (ABC/ESPN2)
Wake Forest vs #3 Clemson (ESPNU)
Army vs La Tech (FS1)

Saturday night:
#21 Ole Miss vs #1 Alabama (ESPN)
#10 Texas A&M vs Arkansas (ESPN2)
Arizona vs #16 Washington (FOX)
#20 Florida vs Kentucky (ESPNU)
#23 Wisconsin vs #4 Ohio State (ABC)
#5 Stanford vs Washington State (ESPN)
Southern Miss vs Boise State (ESPNU)
USC vs Arizona State (ESPN2)

draftguru151 09-23-2013 08:06 AM

So college football is back after last weeks universal bye.

Don Vito 09-23-2013 08:11 AM

Well we have played Bama tough with far more incompetent coaching and significantly less talent in the past few years, and I think Bama was a stronger team in those years as well. Here's to hoping it all adds up.

We won't have an answer for Amari Cooper, I see OJ Howard having a big day, and Yeldon will play like a man possessed. Those three things scare me.

JoeJoeBrown 09-23-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 3454287)
Well we have played Bama tough with far more incompetent coaching and significantly less talent in the past few years, and I think Bama was a stronger team in those years as well. Here's to hoping it all adds up.

We won't have an answer for Amari Cooper, I see OJ Howard having a big day, and Yeldon will play like a man possessed. Those three things scare me.

I think it will be a close one. Alabama's defense proved vulnerable against A&M.

High scoring fun.

jrdrylie 09-23-2013 09:13 AM

Blake Bortles coming out party this Saturday.

iowatreat54 09-23-2013 11:22 AM

HATE WEEK! Get used to seeing some more of this, BF and yo...

BallerT1215 09-23-2013 11:31 AM

So a National TV audience gets to see how bad Logan Thomas is again? Nice.

Shreckart 09-23-2013 12:19 PM

Thinking about going to the OU vs. Notre Dame game, should be moderately exciting to watch. All my friends from home are heading up, don't know if it's worth getting a ticket though, but I think it's the closest I'll ever come to going to South Bend since TCU probably won't schedule them OOC (but I'm stoked for Ohio State).

Hopefully we come back strong after this bye week, looking ready to play against SMU. We play OU next week, so I'm hoping for a strong outing showing that the Tech game was just a one time thing. Luckily we play OU at the perfect time, right after Notre Dame and the week before Texas.

MassNole 09-23-2013 05:42 PM

FSU is going to beat Boston College so badly they don't talk funny on Sunday.

JRTPlaya21 09-23-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 3454287)

Screams trap game Vito. If you guys pull it off I'll gladly rock an Ole Miss avi. I just have no faith in the 3 peat this year.

JoeJoeBrown 09-23-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 (Post 3454992)
Screams trap game Vito. If you guys pull it off I'll gladly rock an Ole Miss avi. I just have no faith in the 3 peat this year.

Yeah, Bama and Saban are awesome, but the odds are just very long against it.

But if any team could do it, it's Bama.

Cigaro 09-23-2013 11:55 PM

UCF has the conventional makings of a trap game, but I just have a feeling it won't be even close (probably nothing more than homerism). Bortles against our secondary isn't a great match-up for us (although our DL should provide much needed assistance), but I think elsewhere we won't have much of problem with them.

Smooth Criminal 09-24-2013 04:28 AM

Some fun games on there. Can't wait to get back to Columbus for the game. The defense is gonna have to play better than we've scene in moments of the early season.

jrdrylie 09-24-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3455260)
UCF has the conventional makings of a trap game, but I just have a feeling it won't be even close (probably nothing more than homerism). Bortles against our secondary isn't a great match-up for us (although our DL should provide much needed assistance), but I think elsewhere we won't have much of problem with them.

Just looked at the spread. I'm kind of surprised that it is only 7.5. I'm not that concerned about UCF's offense having to many issues. I'm more afraid of South Carolina's offensive speed. That is something UCF can sometimes have issues with. I think it will be a relatively high scorring one-score game.

SolidGold 09-24-2013 10:26 AM

I know there is no chance in hell but it would be awesome to see Cal keep pace with Oregon. I think next time they meet that will be a good game. That Goff kid is really good as a true freshmen. I think the PAC 12 is the deepest conference this year. Look at the QBs:

UCLA - Hundley
Stanford - Hogan
Oregon St. - Mannion
Oregon - Mariota
Az St. - Kelly
Wash - Price
Utah - Travis Wilson (needs more national recognition)
Cal - Goff

Even guys like Connor Wood, Halliday and Kessler are pretty decent.

Babylon 09-24-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigaro (Post 3455260)

Here goes:

Game is of interst to me because you have 2 of the top 5 picks in the draft in Clowney and Bortles. USC seems due for a breakout game but it being on the road probably keeps it close.

As for Bortles being able to win the game sort of by himself it's the Jay Cutler syndrome. You can't do it alone.

Stanford and WSU (CTL field in Seattle) is sort of intriguing. The Cougs could easily be 3-0 and Stanford struggled the last time they played in the Clink against the UW.

Ole Miss at Bama i think will be a predictable outcome. Although i'd welcome an upset for sure.

LSU vs Georgia will be intersting. I think Zach Mettenberger may be one of the better throwers in the country that everyone is sleeping on. They just won't let him throw the damn ball.

jrdrylie 09-24-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3455567)
Here goes:

Game is of interst to me because you have 2 of the top 5 picks in the draft in Clowney and Bortles. USC seems due for a breakout game but it being on the road probably keeps it close.

As for Bortles being able to win the game sort of by himself it's the Jay Cutler syndrome. You can't do it alone.

I don't think he has to win it alone. JJ Worton is a very good receiver that Brotles has a great connection with. Their offensive line is a very experienced group. And UCF always has solid running backs, Storm Johnson being the guy this year. There's a lot more talent on this team than in most years.

SickwithIt1010 09-24-2013 01:52 PM

Va Tech's helmets for this week.

jrdrylie 09-24-2013 02:02 PM

So Logan Thomas can look like **** while playing like ****.

SolidGold 09-24-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3455567)
Here goes:

Stanford and WSU (CTL field in Seattle) is sort of intriguing. The Cougs could easily be 3-0 and Stanford struggled the last time they played in the Clink against the UW.

Ole Miss at Bama i think will be a predictable outcome. Although i'd welcome an upset for sure.

LSU vs Georgia will be intersting. I think Zach Mettenberger may be one of the better throwers in the country that everyone is sleeping on. They just won't let him throw the damn ball.

Mettenberger's development through 4 games this year compared to last year is astounding. His stock should continue to rise especially since he is learning under Cam Cameron. I think that will help his cause during the evaluation/pre-draft process.

BallerT1215 09-24-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 3455594)

Va Tech's helmets for this week.

And I thought their uniforms last week were ugly....this....is....special.

Babylon 09-24-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidGold (Post 3455612)
Mettenberger's development through 4 games this year compared to last year is astounding. His stock should continue to rise especially since he is learning under Cam Cameron. I think that will help his cause during the evaluation/pre-draft process.

Doesn't have a ton of pass attempts but throwing it around 65% with a 10-1 td to int ratio. Granted it's the soft part of the schedule but he's been impressive.

Babylon 09-24-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3455638)
And I thought their uniforms last week were ugly....this....is....special.

Sort of looks like my kitchen counter back splash. Have to say it looks better than whatever that is that Maryland wears.

jrdrylie 09-24-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3455648)
Sort of looks like my kitchen counter back splash. Have to say it looks better than whatever that is that Maryland wears.

At least Maryland makes sense. They use the state flag (which by it self is a ridiculous looking flag). I personally like what Maryland does. Virginia Tech having bathroom tiles for a helmet is just dumb.

yo123 09-24-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 3455656)
At least Maryland makes sense. They use the state flag (which by it self is a ridiculous looking flag). I personally like what Maryland does. Virginia Tech having bathroom tiles for a helmet is just dumb.

It's supposed to look like a type of rock mined nearby, which is used on a lot of the buildings on campus. I don't mind it.

I wish schools would just chill with the new uniforms overall though.