Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Mock Draft 1.0 - 9/23/13 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57427)

Scott Wright 09-23-2013 07:19 PM

Mock Draft 1.0 - 9/23/13

Just posted the first mock draft of the year!

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged.

However, please have the courtesy to explain the reasoning behind your opinions.

Let's do our best to keep this thread fun and informative! Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

Finz99 09-23-2013 07:33 PM

Personally, I do not see the Dolphins using their pick on a TE. The light for Charles Clay seems to have finally come on (and I realize it's only 3 weeks in) and he's become a solid target for Tannehill. On top of that, the Dolphins have used a 3rd and 4th round pick on a TE the past two drafts. If Charles Clay keeps up his growth, I would be shocked to see the Dolphins go TE. Offensive Line seems like a more obvious pick.

Scott Wright 09-23-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finz99 (Post 3454989)
Personally, I do not see the Dolphins using their pick on a TE. The light for Charles Clay seems to have finally come on (and I realize it's only 3 weeks in) and he's become a solid target for Tannehill. On top of that, the Dolphins have used a 3rd and 4th round pick on a TE the past two drafts. If Charles Clay keeps up his growth, I would be shocked to see the Dolphins go TE. Offensive Line seems like a more obvious pick.

I agree that if Clay, Sims or Egnew emerge this season that tight end won't be a priority. That still a big "If" at this point though. The first mock is always just an extremely rough draft. The picture will become a little clearer with each update, especially between the first and second.

YotoJets007 09-23-2013 07:41 PM

Jets taking WR.

It is hard to say that Lee is the man right now. Watkins could be my preferable WR in the first round. How come there is no Mike Evans in this mock?

Babylon 09-23-2013 07:43 PM

A lot of good stuff there for sure. My first response would be we can know with near certainty that some team is going to fall in love with Johnny Manziel, not being in that camp is fine but i think he fits in there some where.

I'm kind of in the camp that thinks that Brett Hundley will be back for another season and regardless Blake Bortles of UCF would be a better pick for that area that the Vikings are slotted. I look at him as the Jay Cutler of this draft, a guy who will be better than guys drafted before him.

Pat Sims 90 09-23-2013 07:50 PM

Ryan Shazier is fine. They would have to move Maualuga or Burfict to the SOLB because I only see Shazier as a WOLB.

Jcn92 09-23-2013 07:57 PM

Kind of surprised that there is not Tajh Boyd in this draft. I like the Henderson pick for Seattle. Him and Okung would be solid bookend tackles for the Seahawks. I don't think the the Falcons would take Colt Lyerla. Come draft time I think he is going to have a lot of character concerns and he seems like the type of kid who would do well in the interview process and fall out of the first round. I would be surprised if Belichick took the CB from Oregon in the first round as he does not like taking true juniors early in the draft and rarely does so.

BallerT1215 09-23-2013 08:05 PM

Missing out on Roby would be disappointing but landing Barr would be very exciting for our defense.

coordinator0 09-23-2013 09:27 PM

Coleman makes sense for the Ravens. Add him to Torrey Smith and Marlon Brown and that's a good looking receiving corps.

Scott Wright 09-23-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotoJets007 (Post 3454994)
How come there is no Mike Evans in this mock?

I considered going with Evans over Brandon Coleman for the Ravens.

Ultimately I went with Coleman because I think there is a better chance he enters.

Scott Wright 09-23-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 3454995)
A lot of good stuff there for sure. My first response would be we can know with near certainty that some team is going to fall in love with Johnny Manziel, not being in that camp is fine but i think he fits in there some where.

I'm kind of in the camp that thinks that Brett Hundley will be back for another season and regardless Blake Bortles of UCF would be a better pick for that area that the Vikings are slotted. I look at him as the Jay Cutler of this draft, a guy who will be better than guys drafted before him.

You're right, it only takes one team and someone could fall in love with Manziel just like the Broncos did with Tim Tebow. With that said Johnny Football is viewed as more of a Day 2 guy around the league (on the high end). Personally, I wouldn't touch him before Round 3.

vidae 09-23-2013 09:32 PM

It would be difficult for you to find someone who loves Alabama defenders more than I do, but I'd prefer the best WR or maybe even TE on the board over Mosley.

Or you could have Hundley falling to 13. That would be neat too.

shylo3716 09-23-2013 09:33 PM

@Scott Wright

What position will De'Anthony Thomas head into the combine as RB or WR and which will he be a bigger asset at?

Scott Wright 09-23-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcn92 (Post 3455009)
Kind of surprised that there is not Tajh Boyd in this draft.

I think Alabama's A.J. McCarron and Clemson's Tajh Boyd are the top two senior quarterback and then there is a drop-off, with as many as six to eight guys competing for the next slots.

At this point I have a Day 2 grade on both McCarron and Boyd, although I wouldn't rule out one or both sneaking into Round 1. It may depend on if guys like Hundley and Mariota come out.

Scott Wright 09-23-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 3455063)
@Scott Wright

What position will De'Anthony Thomas head into the combine as RB or WR and which will he be a bigger asset at?

That's the big question!

As you can see I listed Thomas as a RB / WR / RS in the mock draft. For the time being I have him as a running back, but "Offensive Weapon" is probably a more appropriate designation.

Mr.Regular 09-23-2013 09:36 PM

David Bakhtiari has played very well the first 3 weeks. With Bulaga and him, the future actually looks very bright at OT for the Packers.
Now, you're right in saying that the OLine is a concern, but it is mainly the interior, specifically center. Evan Dietrich-Smith should not be starting.

Caulibflower 09-23-2013 09:57 PM

While I do like the idea of the Seahawks adding another marquee tackle, there's a part of me that's leery of picking a "high-upside" guy who's got injury concerns, because that sounds like what we've already had, and as a Seahawks fan it's been pretty frustrating to have our best lineman (Okung) seemingly a perpetual feature on the injury list as well the other lineman (Carpenter) we picked in the first round. Not against going RT late in the first, but I'm dying to see what our line would be like if only they could stay healthy for an extended stretch.

(Edit): Also, jfwiw - If there's a weakness on our defense, I think Daniel McCullers fits the profile of the remedy to a 'T'.

SuperMcGee 09-23-2013 09:58 PM

I'd really like the Barr pick. As you mention the offensive line will be a point of focus and there should be some tempting options there, but Barr would be a beautiful impact addition to our defense. Been too many years of trying to get something out of bottom of the barrel names like Merriman and Jerry Hughes.

D-Unit 09-23-2013 10:17 PM

Like the Jernigan pick for Dallas. He should be in the mix if he has a good season, but if has no "wow" factor, then Jerry will look the other way.

Personally, I'm thinkin' this guy... he even has Sapp's body type.

Where does Sutton project for you?

Scott Wright 09-23-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 3455130)
Like the Jernigan pick for Dallas. He should be in the mix if he has a good season, but if has no "wow" factor, then Jerry will look the other way.

Personally, I'm thinkin' this guy... he even has Sapp's body type.

Where does Sutton project for you?

I am not a big Will Sutton fan. At least not to the degree that others seem to be.

I keep seeing comparisons to Geno Atkins but Sutton isn't nearly as strong or stout at the point of attack. Sutton is great when it comes to using his quickness to penetrate but if that doesn't work he can be easily negated and is basically a non-factor much of the time.

It's also very troubling that Sutton struggled so much against Wisconsin and Stanford, two teams that have the type of big, physical, pro style offensive lines he will face at the next level.

I think Drake Nevis is a much more apt comparison.

Scott Wright 09-23-2013 11:18 PM

In regards to Miami (FL) OT Seantrel Henderson, I could see him going in Round 1 or Undrafted. Seriously, it's that wide of a range. There is no denying the immense talent but durability and character issues are going to require a lot of investigation. Classic "Boom or Bust" prospect.

jayceheathman 09-24-2013 12:51 AM

I wouldn't mind De'Anthony Thomas on the Texans with Andre Johnson injured again. Granted, I don't know how long he may be out for.

Scott, what are the odds the Texans go QB high? Any word on whether they go Mariota, McCarron, or Manziel? It could be all or nothing this year for Schaub. On the other hand, the loss to the Ravens wasn't Schaub's fault. With Brown out at LT, the OL was horrendous. I would rather us go Antonio Richardson than Thomas but in your draft he gets taken off the board one selection ahead.

fenikz 09-24-2013 12:59 AM

I would hope Keim and Arians realized they need a QB 1st and foremost

jayceheathman 09-24-2013 01:11 AM

Ryan Shazier has no eyebrows!

Scott Wright 09-24-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 3455262)
I would hope Keim and Arians realized they need a QB 1st and foremost

I agree but I doubt they feel the same way.

I don't think the Cardinals are inclined to start over with a young quarterback in the near future. My guess is they are going to try and win with Carson Palmer for at least two or three years.