Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Which Prospects Will Fail to Live Up to Draft Position? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57461)

Matthew Jones 09-29-2013 11:26 AM

Which Prospects Will Fail to Live Up to Draft Position?
 
Regardless of whether or not you believe a prospect is destined to bust out of the league, which prospects in this year's class do you think will fail to perform up to their draft slot and why?

Attyla the Hawk 09-29-2013 12:02 PM

Kouandijo
Lewan
Lee

I see these guys being grossly outperformed by some guys picked after them. They will all likely still be starters. But they are guys that should be picked early and I see not being the best of the crop.

princefielder28 09-29-2013 12:04 PM

After last night's performance, Bradley Roby didn't look the part of a top ten corner or first round caliber really. He struggled big time against Jared Abbrederis in man coverage.

Babylon 09-29-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attyla the Hawk (Post 3459024)
Kouandijo
Lewan
Lee

I see these guys being grossly outperformed by some guys picked after them. They will all likely still be starters. But they are guys that should be picked early and I see not being the best of the crop.

Not sure Kouandjo is that highly ranked to start with, but yeah, overrated.

I'd probably throw Tajh Boyd into the mix. I question his ability to get the ball down the field at the next level.

On the flip side i think Trent Murphy will be a better pro than his draft position dictates.

fredder 09-29-2013 12:42 PM

Are we using their current perceived draft position? If so then I have to say Watkins and Lee. If either of them go top 10 I think they'll be disappointments. I can at least envision Watkins becoming a Mike Wallace type of receiver but I can't imagine Lee becoming a true #1 receiver in the league. In my opinion Watkins will end up going mid-late first and Lee could easily fall to the second round. At least that's where I think they should go. They don't fit the physical profile of a #1 receiver in the league and that's the only type of receiver I think is worth a top 10 pick.

Other than that I think Mariota will disappoint if he comes out and goes first round because of his physical abilities. I think he's too raw as a passer at this point and while athleticism is a nice quality to have in a QB it'll always take a backseat to the passing game.

Jcn92 09-29-2013 12:57 PM

I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing in Brett Hundley, I think Boyd is clearly better than him and Hundley doesn't seem to be a top 5 or top 10 pick.

SolidGold 09-29-2013 01:09 PM

Bridgewater

fredder 09-29-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcn92 (Post 3459147)
I'm not seeing what everyone else is seeing in Brett Hundley, I think Boyd is clearly better than him and Hundley doesn't seem to be a top 5 or top 10 pick.

I think the hype on Hundley is legit. He has all of the physical tools you look for including the ability to run for first downs if he needs to. He also shows the ability to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball accurately. For the most part he's seemed pretty calm when I've watched him as well, including while they were down against Tennessee, which is impressive for someone his age. I think if he comes out this year he'll go top 10 as he compares favorably to Ryan Tannehill as a somewhat raw prospect with good upside. However, I think he would benefit a lot by waiting a year and working on getting better at the little things. If he did that I think he could be the #1 pick next year and would have a smoother transition into the NFL.

SchizophrenicBatman 09-29-2013 11:26 PM

I think NFL teams will figure out Boyd before the draft but if they don't, he'll be found out pretty early in the league.

duesouth 09-30-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3459026)
After last night's performance, Bradley Roby didn't look the part of a top ten corner or first round caliber really. He struggled big time against Jared Abbrederis in man coverage.

Saw the thread and was going to post exactly this!!!

Attyla the Hawk 09-30-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3459026)
After last night's performance, Bradley Roby didn't look the part of a top ten corner or first round caliber really. He struggled big time against Jared Abbrederis in man coverage.

Abbrederis is an NFL quality WR. He's going to make a GM look smart on day 2.

gstock05 09-30-2013 02:12 PM

I'm an OSU fan, but I agree with the fact that Roby seems overrated. I think a lot of it is inexperience, as he has all the physical tools you want from a corner, but I wouldn't take him in the top 10 at this point.


On the other hand, Ryan Shazier is a complete beast, and is always around the ball. I think he can be a star in the NFL.

Babylon 09-30-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attyla the Hawk (Post 3460950)
Abbrederis is an NFL quality WR. He's going to make a GM look smart on day 2.

I wouldn't mind pairing him up with Russell Wilson again. 2nd round seems about right.

princefielder28 09-30-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attyla the Hawk (Post 3460950)
Abbrederis is an NFL quality WR. He's going to make a GM look smart on day 2.

Jared is quality, but if Roby is truly special like he's touted, shouldn't he be bringing his A game against pro caliber players?

Scott Wright 09-30-2013 07:00 PM

I won't beat a dead-horse and say Arizona St. DT Will Sutton but I think he is overrated.

One candidate would be De'Anthony Thomas if he comes off the board in Round 1. I think Marcus Mariota's bust potential is pretty high as well. I guess Ducks fans aren't going to like me.

Miami (FL) OT Seantrel Henderson is the textbook definition of Boom or Bust.

princefielder28 09-30-2013 07:01 PM

Sutton was nearly a non-factor against the Badgers. The weight he put on has hurt his effectiveness and he needs to find his explosion once again otherwise he'll fall.

Scott Wright 09-30-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 3461296)
Sutton was nearly a non-factor against the Badgers. The weight he put on has hurt his effectiveness and he needs to find his explosion once again otherwise he'll fall.

As I've maintain all along Sutton makes some flash plays with his quickness and athleticism but is relatively easy to neutralize once blockers get their hands on him. Very much a one-dimensional player. Struggling against Wisconsin and Stanford, which have the type of big, physical offensive lines that he will see at the next level, does not bode well for Sutton. I do think he's a Day 2 type of talent but the Geno Atkins comparisons are way off base in my opinion.

princefielder28 09-30-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3461312)
As I've maintain all along Sutton makes some flash plays with his quickness and athleticism but is relatively easy to neutralize once blockers get their hands on him. Very much a one-dimensional player. Struggling against Wisconsin and Stanford, which have the type of big, physical offensive lines that he will see at the next level, does not bode well for Sutton. I do think he's a Day 2 type of talent but the Geno Atkins comparisons are way off base in my opinion.

Mike Daniels is the type of player and impact I can see him making in the NFL.

BigBanger 10-01-2013 05:10 AM

As much I find Anthony Barr' physical tools to be utterly jaw dropping, he is eerily similar to Aaron Maybin. He's actually not the pass rusher Maybin was when it comes to experience and consistency. But Barr is such a fineness player who has terrible football IQ and no technique whatsoever that it's becoming increasingly more and more difficult for me to see him developing into a great player. He is all potential.

I was really hoping to see how much he improved since last year. Based on what I've seen this year, I think he's regressed. He may end up falling down draft boards because of his senior tape, but at the same time he might run in the 4.4s at he combine and maintain his current draft projection.

Last year I thought he was a franchise outside linebacker prospect. Now he looks like a third round project - because of his physical tools and immense potential - who won't develop until the final year or two of his rookie contract... IF he develops. He's just way too weak at the point of attack, doesn't play with any discipline, can't disengage from blockers, can't beat an offensive tackle with anything other the running the arch, plays with no leverage... Just way too raw in too many areas of great importance for the next level. If he goes in the Top 10 I would be shocked if he doesn't bust.

Barr has been a huge disappointment for me. I thought he looked like a guy that could challenge Clowney as the best defensive prospect in this years draft. He hasn't improved at all, and that's no longer a possibility of happening.

Blawbert 10-01-2013 09:27 AM

Boyd the quarters from Clemson lacks the qualities of a true quarterback, in the vince young fashion.

Babylon 10-01-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 3461294)
I won't beat a dead-horse and say Arizona St. DT Will Sutton but I think he is overrated.

One candidate would be De'Anthony Thomas if he comes off the board in Round 1. I think Marcus Mariota's bust potential is pretty high as well. I guess Ducks fans aren't going to like me.

Miami (FL) OT Seantrel Henderson is the textbook definition of Boom or Bust.

Mariota is a good looking prospect with a nice combination of size and speed. He runs well but not sure how much that translates to the next level. His passing percentage is down a little but i think that has more to do with new coach and them just trying to do too much.

I'd prefer he stayed another year and really improve on his arm strength and experiance. Bust potential i'd say is small but not sure stardom is guaranteed either.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.