Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Rams and Tavon Austin (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57648)

bigbuc 10-29-2013 01:10 AM

Rams and Tavon Austin

After watching Monday nights game. How bad is this Rams offense? I know their QB is out for the season. But the 8th overall pick wasn't on the field at all. Is he having that much trouble picking up the playbook?

I mean can't you put him in the backfield and have Austin come out on LBers? Or a screen pass out of the backfield? Or a bubble screen.

It seems to me that they draft this guy cause he's super fast and can line up everywhere. And they want to turn him into a normal WR. I didn't hate that Austin got drafted top 10. I hated that he got drafted by the Rams.

Are they misusing this guy?

AntoinCD 10-29-2013 04:41 AM

Absolutely, but give it time. He is 8 games into his rookie season.

The Rams need to get more creative to get the ball to him in space. But I have never been a fan of Schottenheimer's offenses

CC.SD 10-29-2013 12:33 PM

we're a little spoiled and it's been a few years since this was "common knowledge" so to speak, but WRs, especially the shifty guys, should definitely be given time. The ol' 3rd season breakout is still a thing in my book, for wideouts at least.

Babylon 10-29-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 3484144)
Absolutely, but give it time. He is 8 games into his rookie season.

The Rams need to get more creative to get the ball to him in space. But I have never been a fan of Schottenheimer's offenses

Agree. If nothing else go look at your scouting reports on the guy and see how they used him at WVU. Right now he's not doing them much good.

Schottenheimer doesn't look like he has much of a clue as you imply. Having said that, their skilled players are below average. I know the QB is supposed to make everyone better but their WRs are second tier guys and their TEs i never thought were much good, Cook specifically.

BamaFalcon59 10-29-2013 01:17 PM

How does Schottenheimer keep getting hired?

Nameless Ghoul 10-29-2013 01:22 PM

Schottenheimer is the new Greg Knapp, these guys always get jobs without having much success. I guess it all about connections.

cgf (Rosebud) 10-29-2013 02:30 PM

I actually like the rams weapons, they just desperately need a go to #1 guy who Bradford will be able to just throw the ball up to when they need to make a play and the other guys aren't getting open. A Fitzgerald or Marshall type is all they need. With a better oc and that reliable blitz buster, that team would have all of the pieces for a creative...read not-schottenheimer...OC to go to town with. The TEs are both big play threats, Austin and Bailey have YAC written all over him, quick and givens can make plays on the outside. That Fitz, Marshall or Holden of years past that they can just bank on is all they need. Fitz makes so much sense for them if they could afford him because in a couple more years all of these kids may have become reliable enough themselves to eliminate the need for that huge price tag of his.

Jughead10 10-29-2013 02:44 PM

I think the real question might be, why was this guy drafted so high? Every draft has one. One player who blows away everyone in a tshirt and shorts and gets taken way earlier than he should have.

cgf (Rosebud) 10-29-2013 02:49 PM

Because of what he can do on the field. He still needs some polish and a smarter OC, but this kid can be an electric weapon for them.

Jughead10 10-29-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) (Post 3484478)
Because of what he can do on the field. He still needs some polish and a smarter OC, but this kid can be an electric weapon for them.

I dunno. I just never saw it. He's way too small. You shouldn't have to be super creative to get the best out of the top WR taken in the draft.

CC.SD 10-29-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 3484481)
I dunno. I just never saw it. He's way too small. You shouldn't have to be super creative to get the best out of the top WR taken in the draft.

Yah this. Dexter McCluster/Darren Sproles types were 4th rounder and require the same kind of creative offensive planning. Even D Jackson is more 'conventional' than Austin.

cgf (Rosebud) 10-29-2013 02:56 PM

I wouldn't pick him that high for most teams, but it made sense for the rams with the talent they already have and how many picks they have to play with. Give him some time to polish his route running and awareness and he adds a dynamic weapon to a team that already has solid talents on the outside and TEs who can make plays. I really love that collection of talent, it's just very raw, inexperienced and inconsistent right now.

BallerT1215 10-29-2013 03:09 PM

The Vikings are having similar problems with Patterson.

Jughead10 10-29-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallerT1215 (Post 3484504)

Totally different in my opinion, for many reasons. Draft status. College experience. Size.

shylo3716 10-29-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 3484469)
I think the real question might be, why was this guy drafted so high? Every draft has one. One player who blows away everyone in a tshirt and shorts and gets taken way earlier than he should have.

The film speaks for itself.

Larry 10-29-2013 04:06 PM

Rookie Wr's rarely have big impacts. But it's clear Brian Schottenheimer has no clue how to utilize him.

CC.SD 10-29-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Patterson looked gorgeous on Monday.

FUNBUNCHER 10-29-2013 04:10 PM

Tavon Austin was drafted as high as he was because of his dominance at WVU and his ability to be lined up virtually anywhere and create mismatches.

Schottenheimer is borderline mentally handicapped if he can't find a way to get Austin on the field 60% of the snaps. The threat of Austin alone would change the complexion of their offense.

I thought Austin would have at least 2K combined yards from scrimmage as a rookie. What's wrong with St. Louis???

Go 4 wide and force opposing defenses to react.

Brown Leader 10-29-2013 04:13 PM

Is the OC causing him to get tackled so easily on his punt returns?

Caulibflower 10-29-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

I don't know, I think the vikes' quarterback issues are a lot worse, they've got AP, they've got some other legitimate, established threats in Jennings and Rudolph, and Patterson has already been electric as a return guy, which Tavon has failed to do. Everybody expected Patterson to be really raw and requiring development; Tavon was supposed to be more of a plug-and-play type. Patterson was seen as a developmental prospect who would immediately impact the return game and contribute here and there; Tavon was supposed to impact the return game and lead St. Louis in receptions. So, Patterson's production isn't surprising, because he's producing in the area he's strongest in, but Tavon's complete lack of production is surprising because he wasn't supposed to need as much development to integrate into the offense, and he hasn't done a thing on returns, either.

San Diego Chicken 10-29-2013 04:58 PM

I thought he was a second rounder to begin with, but I wanted to see him more in the backfield. The Rams don't have enough threats around him to take the pressure off him as a satellite type of player. Also, it takes a really good and savvy QB to know how to use those guys. Bradford might get there someday, but it's not as simple as it looks. It was foolish to think he would just come in and take over, especially in a division with the defensive quality of the NFC West.

yo123 10-29-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

He's looked good the 5 or so times we've actually attempted to give him the ball.

General Zod 10-29-2013 05:14 PM

Musgrave refuses to give Patterson any playing time. When he gets a chance, he looks pretty good.

bigbuc 10-29-2013 08:59 PM

It's what I was thinking. The fact that Austin has 4 rushing attempts all season is nuts to me. This guy should have at least 5 attempts rushing a game. You could toss him the ball on sweeps. Draws where he needs to make a guy miss. Maybe 1 or 2 as a back in a I formation. Then play action to him and have him out of the backfield on a LB. And all this as a RB.

I hate it when this happens. Wish Austin was drafted by the Pats or Saints just because they'd make him the video game player he is.

BamaFalcon59 10-29-2013 09:46 PM

Also, I've barely watched the Rams and have seen Austin have along PR TD and a long reception TD both called back.