Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Decent article on Rolondo McClain... (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57658)

nepg 10-30-2013 08:18 PM

Decent article on Rolondo McClain...

In case you haven't read it...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/98...her-tuscaloosa

Puts things in perspective a bit, and explains what happened between being an incredible linebacking prospect and losing his **** and bombing as a pro.

Raiderz4Life 10-30-2013 08:35 PM

I read it earlier and didn feel a lick of sympathy.

Caulibflower 10-30-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life (Post 3485376)

That's because you're his jilted lover.

nepg 10-30-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderz4Life (Post 3485376)

I don't think sympathy is really the word that I'd use. Clarity or understanding are probably a little better descriptors. It really illustrates how things ended up going so wrong in the NFL.

Hopefully he can get himself together and give it another shot, but I think he's a long way from understanding how he got to that point. He admits to not being there yet and not being ready for someone to help him figure it out... He's just enjoying life without all the noise right now.

niel89 10-30-2013 09:08 PM

Understanding is the right word. I don't feel bad but I can kinda see how he got here. All the money in the world couldn't take away his anger inside. He has done a lot of stupid **** and wasted a lot of time/money/talent, but that stuff doesn't really matter if you aren't right emotionally. I hope the best for him. He is only 23 so if he can sort through his issues he can still have a shot at football redemption.

jrdrylie 10-30-2013 09:27 PM

I can imagine that he gets a lot of request for money. Having $20 million plus and coming from a poor area, I bet people came out of the woodwork. But that happens to nearly every player. McClain's problem? He kept going back home.

He is from Decatur, Alabama. Living about 30 minutes from there, I knew every time he came back. And every time he came back, the local sports radio stations was ask "wonder how long it will be until McClain got arrested.' And they were right every time. Then he bought a house about a mile away from where I live. Why come back? Every time you come to Decatur you get arrested and see the people hounding you for money. You want to see your family? Fly them out first class every few months. That's a lot cheaper than posting bail and hiring a lawyer.

I do feel sympathy for athletes who have uncles and cousins who they've never heard of hounding them for money. I'm sure it is hard constantly saying no. But my sympathy ends there. McClain continuously put himself back in the situation where trouble finds him. I can see him doing that if he was from Miami, but he's from Decatur, Alabama. Why come back? That place is a shithole.

Raiderz4Life 10-30-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caulibflower (Post 3485386)
That's because you're his jilted lover.

Yeah pretty much...I'm in that emotional bitter unsympathetic don't want to bother to understand cuz you broke my heart state.

vidae 10-30-2013 10:07 PM

God I loved Rolando coming out.

Raiderz4Life 10-30-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 3485470)
God I loved Rolando coming out.

I remember everyone was like "Finally..the Raiders have made a good pick"

Eazy Picks 10-31-2013 02:17 AM

yea I read it earlier definitely interesting...For as bad as his judgement has been, I gotta say he made the right choice, his career was gonna flame out quick. Hes still young enough and talented enough to make a comeback, but he needs to get some stuff worked out.

Crickett 12-04-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilianjie (Post 3510270)
McClain's problem? He kept going at house.

Yes, that was McClain's problem. He kept going at house.

Job Reborn 12-04-2013 08:06 AM

For Vicodin?

AntoinCD 12-04-2013 08:18 AM

I can understand a feeling of loyalty to those who helped him as a kid, but at some stage you have to break away from the past in these situations.

McClain isn't the first guy to be hounded for money once he made it and he won't be the last. You need more strength of character to know when to step away. Hopefully if he gets his **** together he can come back because he was a helluva prospect, but he needs help. And he needs to get out of Alabama.

Fly your family and maybe even some close friends out to you, but clearly going back is a bad idea