Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dwight Freeney's contract (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640)

RCAChainGang 07-25-2006 12:37 AM

Dwight Freeney's contract

Dwight Freeney wants to become the highest paid player.

The colts will lose him and he will miss camp.

smittyjs 07-25-2006 12:40 AM

Enters FA and misses camp
:D

Staubach12 07-25-2006 01:00 AM

He's coming to camp. I haven't heard anything in months, other than the fact that he may become a FA, and he would like to be the highest paid player in the NFL. He won't hold out, and he never planned to.

yourfavestoner 07-25-2006 02:38 AM

He'll get franchised next year, and then he'll hold out. He's not going anywhere.

Splat 07-25-2006 09:45 AM

Colts sign him and in just a few years the Colts will be in cap hell like what happen to Tenn and they won't even have a SB out of the deal.

draftguru151 07-25-2006 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splat420
Colts sign him and in just a few years the Colts will be in cap hell like what happen to Tenn and they won't even have a SB out of the deal.

:?

Smooth Criminal 07-25-2006 12:48 PM

The Colts will probably franchise him next offseason. I can see them finding the room to sign him after next year. Having him, Harrison, Wayne and Manning all with huge deals will only hurt them and keep them from signing guys that are important to their team like Bob Sanders and others.

Immaculate Tackle 07-25-2006 12:52 PM

Sanders still has 3 years on his deal. Lucky for them -- not giving in to his hold out really paid off.

Cato June is an UFA next year.

draftguru151 07-25-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Immaculate Tackle
Sanders still has 3 years on his deal. Lucky for them -- not giving in to his hold out really paid off.

Cato June is an UFA next year.

And will probably get overpaid by some team that doesn't run a cover 2 and blow. Colts don't resign LBs.

Geo 07-25-2006 02:50 PM

I'm expecting Freeney to play out 2006, be franchise-tagged in 2007, and then price himself out of Indy. Honestly, I'm not losing any sleep over it as the Colts will just draft his replacement and/or move Mathis over in a possible rotation.

Nor am I expecting Cato to stay with the team either. Someone will offer more than the Colts once he hits the FA market, as they rightly should (wouldn't be surprised if Jacksonville was interested considering they have no WLB to speak of), and the Colts will have two potential stud LBs in Tyjuan Hagler and Kendyll Pope - given that he's on the right path personally and professionally, and has proven himself post-reinstatement - battle for the position in 2007.

Staubach12 07-25-2006 02:55 PM

Re: Dwight Freeney's contract

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan

What the hell do you mean the colts lose him AND he miss camp. If he doesn't play for the Colts anymore, then he won't be at their training camp...that's a given.

Jughead10 07-25-2006 02:58 PM

Re: Dwight Freeney's contract

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathan
Dwight Freeney wants to become the highest paid player.

Freeney wants to become the highest paid player. :lol: Thats funny. I wouldn't even give him close to anything that much.

The Unseen 07-25-2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

And will probably get overpaid by some team that doesn't run a cover 2 and blow. Colts don't resign LBs.
Like how Jacksonville signed former Indy WILL Mike Peterson, moved him to MIKE, and watched him blow, right?

Geo 07-25-2006 03:09 PM

There's been no indication whatsoever that Freeney will miss camp, and even if he does (to the chagrin of his wallet) I don't see it as being a big deal.

This isn't a Deion Branch or Javon Walker situation, Freeney has two well-compensated years ahead of him - courtesy of a final year of a Top 16 rookie contract and a 2007 franchise tag - with the Colts, and he will get a monster payday from someone once he hits the open market, so it's in his best interests to play out the two seasons and be a team leader.

Although I'm not sure if needing to send the message of a new contract is necessary, it's fairly obvious both sides have it mind.

Jughead10 07-25-2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unseen
Quote:

Like how Jacksonville signed former Indy WILL Mike Peterson, moved him to MIKE, and watched him blow, right?

He also got put behind the best combination of DTs in the league. That should be a bit of an exception. If the Giants put him at MIKE he would suffer.

Shiver 07-25-2006 03:22 PM

Marcus Washington too.

draftguru151 07-25-2006 03:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't say all LBers that leave the Colts are bad, just June will be if he isn't in the right situation.

Staubach12 07-25-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't say all LBers that leave the Colts are bad, just June will be if he isn't in the right situation.

June is perfect for the cover 2, and If he's picked up by someone who doesn't run that... It's gunna be bad.

yourfavestoner 07-26-2006 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:

Quote:

He also got put behind the best combination of DTs in the league. That should be a bit of an exception. If the Giants put him at MIKE he would suffer.

However, Jacksonville runs a lot of Cover 2 as well.

Marcus Washington didn't exactly blow in Washington either, did he.

draftguru151 07-26-2006 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10
Quote:

Quote:

However, Jacksonville runs a lot of Cover 2 as well.

Marcus Washington didn't exactly blow in Washington either, did he.

Wow, thanks for actually reading what I wrote. :roll:

07-26-2006 04:51 PM

i think he plays and becomes a FA next year

portermvp84 07-27-2006 08:43 PM

They should franchise tag is ace.

Canadian_kid16 07-27-2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staubach12
Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151
Quote:

Quote:

June is perfect for the cover 2, and If he's picked up by someone who doesn't run that... It's gunna be bad.

He could be good for the Bucs :D to replace Brooks or or other OLB

P-L 07-27-2006 08:51 PM

No one would make Freeny the highest paid player in the league. Not even Dan Snyder.

07-27-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Or how the redskins signed former Indy OLB marcus washington and watched him blow.