Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Robert Gallery? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724)

Splat 08-15-2006 10:39 AM

Robert Gallery?

Is Robert Gallery a bust i keep thinking he is going to get better but he never does the guy was a beast in college?

NIN1984 08-15-2006 10:54 AM

I wouldn’t use the word bust he has allowed 6 sacks in 2 seasons this is his 3rd season and his 3rd O-line coach his 2nd head coach and has played Guard and RT and is now finally playing LT and needs to learn all over again..

He is having a bad preseason that’s true but I wouldn’t label him a bust just yet.

keylime_5 08-15-2006 11:07 AM

So far in his career he really stinks. He wasn't all that great as a RT, and now that he's back to LT he is struggling immensly. Unless he has a sudden epiphany and turns it around he is a super BUST!

DeathbyStat 08-15-2006 11:10 AM

What I've seen of guy in the preseason had been laughable at best. He beat badly by speed rushers.

bigbluedefense 08-15-2006 11:13 AM

I have to give him this year to see how he fares. If by week 10 he is still getting busted up, he's a bust. Its sad, I think the coaching staff and how they handled him has alot to do with why he is failing. But also, if you notice, I think he's out of shape. He is coming off the line real slow, and edge rushers are destrroying him. He is much slower now than he was in college. I think a combination of bad coaching and his own fitness have led to poor performance. If he doesn't get it together by the end of the year he will be a major disappointment.

Material Issues 08-15-2006 11:16 AM

i think that now that he's at LT with Shell in charge he could make serious steps in his development. As bigbluegiants mentioned he has been slow off the line and i'm not sure how much of that is physically being out of shape and how much is him being mentally out of it as he has lost that comfort he had in college. Hopefully shell can give him his fire back and he'll be the star we all saw.

Ravens1991 08-15-2006 11:36 AM

When Art Shell is our oline coach, and you can't put it together I would be preety confident to call him a bust.

Material Issues 08-15-2006 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravens1991
When Art Shell is our oline coach, and you can't put it together I would be preety confident to call him a bust.

good thing sheel has been his head coach all of a couple of months. :roll:

Ravens1991 08-15-2006 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Material Issues
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravens1991

good thing sheel has been his head coach all of a couple of months. :roll:

Correct, but he is a top 5 tackle of all time.

DMWSackMachine 08-15-2006 12:08 PM

Um, great players are rarely great coaches because of how natural things came to them as a player. Very few can turn around and verbalize the things that they just simply knew how to do. Art Shell is a perfect example of this. He was never a great, or even good, O Line coach. So don't bring Shell up as a reason for why he should be doing better.

The fact is that, when you draft a OT (or any player, for that matter) at #2 overall, you expect at least a Pro Bowl level player, and you really want an All-Pro type. Up to this point, he has most definitely been a bust. He's been below average in his first two seasons. No question about that.

However, I really don't see that he has to be a bust for his career. This guy is not another Mike Williams who is just so damn lazy and indifferent that he can't be worked with. I think the Raiders are just a horrible organization at this point in time, and its no coincedence that horrible organizations have a high bust rate with their draft picks. I put the blame for Robert Gallery and his problems squarely on the shoulders of those idiots that still think their running a world class organization over there, when in fact they are completely out of their mind.

cunningham06 08-15-2006 12:20 PM

He is a bust, he got owned by Trent Cole, our backup defensive end in the HOF Game. He was not good at RT and will probably not be at LT.

Dillen 08-15-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cunningham06
He is a bust, he got owned by Trent Cole, our backup defensive end in the HOF Game. He was not good at RT and will probably not be at LT.

He strained his hammy or something in TC and he cant move laterally very well until it's 100%.

njx9 08-15-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
However, I really don't see that he has to be a bust for his career. This guy is not another Mike Williams who is just so damn lazy and indifferent that he can't be worked with. I think the Raiders are just a horrible organization at this point in time, and its no coincedence that horrible organizations have a high bust rate with their draft picks. I put the blame for Robert Gallery and his problems squarely on the shoulders of those idiots that still think their running a world class organization over there, when in fact they are completely out of their mind.

exactly. while i may or may not agree with some of this, the fact that the raiders have been an absolutely terrible franchise lately may have something to do with gallery's ability to learn anything. there's not a lot of doubt in my mind that if he'd gone to team with at least a moderate degree of stability that he'd be a bit more successful.

slightlyaraiderfan 08-15-2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillen
Quote:

He strained his hammy or something in TC and he cant move laterally very well until it's 100%.

That's right....but all of you that want to call him a bust after 2 years of playing RT in a "ZBS" and 2 preseason games which he has had a sore hamstring; then go ahead.

DMWSackMachine 08-15-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillaraiderfan
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillen
Quote:

That's right....but all of you that want to call him a bust after 2 years of playing RT in a "ZBS" and 2 preseason games which he has had a sore hamstring; then go ahead.

That's right....and if you want to be a homer and deny the truth that's looking you straight in the face, then go ahead. Facts are facts, and great players play well, period.

Vikes99ej 08-15-2006 12:50 PM

Hard to say with OLs...

Splat 08-15-2006 12:53 PM

He can still turn it around he is young and has the HC to do it but as of now he looks lost at LT.

The Legend 08-15-2006 04:38 PM

in madden hes the fast person on the oline

Paranoidmoonduck 08-15-2006 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I have to give him this year to see how he fares. If by week 10 he is still getting busted up, he's a bust. Its sad, I think the coaching staff and how they handled him has alot to do with why he is failing. But also, if you notice, I think he's out of shape. He is coming off the line real slow, and edge rushers are destrroying him. He is much slower now than he was in college. I think a combination of bad coaching and his own fitness have led to poor performance. If he doesn't get it together by the end of the year he will be a major disappointment.

This is basically what I came to post. I said a week back that I gave Gallery and the offensive line as a whole until week 9 to show some major improvement. Shell might not be a great O-Line coach, but HOF OL Jackie Slater has a good reputation, and I think he can get things working.

Shane P. Hallam 08-15-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense

This is basically what I came to post. I said a week back that I gave Gallery and the offensive line as a whole until week 9 to show some major improvement. Shell might not be a great O-Line coach, but HOF OL Jackie Slater has a good reputation, and I think he can get things working.

I concur. He isn't a bust yet, but he def. doesn't look good. I think they have just moved him around a lot, and he hasn't been comfortable in any position. If he is out of shape though, bye bye!

elway777 08-15-2006 05:41 PM

I would need your defenition of "bust" to answer this question.Everyone seems to have a unique view of a draft bust.

defensiveback23 08-15-2006 05:49 PM

Bust is the wrong word, I'd call him a disapointment up to this point.

njx9 08-15-2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend
in madden hes the fast person on the oline

and we all know that madden = real life. :roll:

The Great Jonathan Vilma 08-15-2006 05:52 PM

IMO opinion alot can change in the future as he is still a young player who is learning. but to summarize his performance up to this point as to his draft status and what was expected, yes, i would say he's been a bust. doesn't mean he will always be a bust, but to this point he has IMO

Oaktown1981 08-15-2006 06:07 PM

I wouldn't call him a bust yet but he needs to start playing better.

They should of started Gallery at LT in his rookie year.. Having him play LG then RT did nothing for him..