Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Greatest football player ever? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7431)

Vince Lombardi 04-22-2007 12:59 PM

Greatest football player ever?

Who would ya'll consider the single greatest football player ever? I'm not talking about the best at his respective position, but the best player ever, out of everyone at every position.

To me it's all about who just simply got the job done day in and day out over a long period of time. It has nothing to do with who was the best athlete or the most physically dominating (though often times those traits go hand in hand with a great player).

To me there's only one obvious choice and that's Jerry Rice. He simply was on a different plain than anyone else who ever played the game. He wasn't the biggest or the fastest but his production was simply astonishing, he was just a football player. No one else in history has had anywhere near his production on the field. I know impact can't always be measured in stats, but great players produce and nobody did it better for longer than Rice.

I'm sure some people will argue a case for Jim Brown, and rightfully so, but for me he walked away from the game too early to be in the same category as Rice, same with Barry Sanders (who is my personal #1 RB). What could have been, is much different than what actually was and we'll never truly know what these guys would have accomplished had they not walked away from the game in their primes.

Vikes99ej 04-22-2007 01:01 PM

Rick Mirer.

255979119 04-22-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi (Post 329902)
Who would ya'll consider the single greatest football player ever? I'm not talking about the best at his respective position, but the best player ever, out of everyone at every position.

To me it's all about who just simply got the job done day in and day out over a long period of time. It has nothing to do with who was the best athlete or the most physically dominating (though often times those traits go hand in hand with a great player).

To me there's only one obvious choice and that's Jerry Rice. He simply was on a different plain than anyone else who ever played the game. He wasn't the biggest or the fastest but his production was simply astonishing, he was just a football player. No one else in history has had anywhere near his production on the field. I know impact can't always be measured in stats, but great players produce and nobody did it better for longer than Rice.

I'm sure some people will argue a case for Jim Brown, and rightfully so, but for me he walked away from the game too early to be in the same category as Rice, same with Barry Sanders (who is my personal #1 RB). What could have been, is much different than what actually was and we'll never truly know what these guys would have accomplished had they not walked away from the game in their primes.

Dude, end this. It is impossible in football to come to a solution considering the massive changes from era to era.

Primetime21 04-22-2007 01:04 PM

Bo Jackson could have been one of the greatest if it wasnt for baseball.
I would have to pick Walter Payton, just how he blocked, ran, caught, and passed for the Bears with all his heart every game.

Chucky 04-22-2007 01:04 PM

If you were to go with what could have been, i think Gale Sayers would have been the best football player ever, but overall i will probably have to go, taking into account positions, Johny Unitas, although i might be forgeting someone

Vince Lombardi 04-22-2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 255979119 (Post 329913)
Dude, end this. It is impossible in football to come to a solution considering the massive changes from era to era.

Dude it's a football forum, we're here to argue about this kind of stuff. :rolleyes: Just leave already if all you're gonna do is complain.

It's not like we're proclaiming that this will be the final decision on the matter.

The Unseen 04-22-2007 01:07 PM

Tough question. Jim Brown and Jerry Rice are up there. I also think of guys like Otto Graham and even Jim Thorpe.

Put a gun to my head to pick, I'd say Jim Brown.

neko4 04-22-2007 01:07 PM

Johnny U
Guy was a big reason the sport became popular, toughest QB ive ever seen and a great QB too owned many records

Vikes99ej 04-22-2007 01:08 PM

Seriously, I'll say Brett Favre. He is everything a football player should be.

TACKLE 04-22-2007 01:12 PM

Walter Payton.

757Dawg 04-22-2007 01:13 PM

Jim Brown.

99% of us on this board never saw Brown play, so all we have to go on is old game tape.

Even so, I think he is easily the greatest football player of all time.

He was the total package. Size, strength, speed, quickness, etc.

Ravens1991 04-22-2007 01:15 PM

I am a big defense guy so LT, but there are several players that can be considered for this spot, there really isnt a wrong answer

cardsalltheway 04-22-2007 01:17 PM

I would say Rice as well, but Lawrence Taylor is a close 2nd for me.

GB12 04-22-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikes99ej (Post 329932)
Seriously, I'll say Brett Favre. He is everything a football player should be.

Did I read that right? A Vikings fan calling Favre the best player ever!

I'll go with LT, Jim Brown a close second, with Deacon Jones in the top ten.

bigbluedefense 04-22-2007 01:25 PM

Its impossible to compare offense to defense.

On offense, I would say Jim Brown.

On defense, Lawrence Taylor.

Jerry Rice is probably a close 2nd on offense.

Honorable mentions on defense are Deacon Jones and Dick Butkus.

thule 04-22-2007 01:27 PM

I'm gonna give my vote to Deion Sanders...guy is the best CB ever to play. One of the best returners of all time. He also played some offense.

bigbluedefense 04-22-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thule (Post 329988)
I'm gonna give my vote to Deion Sanders...guy is the best CB ever to play. One of the best returners of all time. He also played some offense.

Can't be Deion. We're talking about greatest ever here. The guy has to be an all around player. For all of Deion's ability he couldn't tackle for his life, and offered no run support.

Vikes99ej 04-22-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB12 (Post 329976)
Did I read that right? A Vikings fan calling Favre the best player ever!

I'll go with LT, Jim Brown a close second, with Deacon Jones in the top ten.

Yep. I hate him, but dammit, I hate facing him just as much. He fulfills all of my criterias: He's tough, he's immensely talented, and he's a winner.

JoeSixPac 04-22-2007 01:37 PM

The best player I ever saw play is Ladainian Tomlinson. Other than him I haven't seen any other greats play, but I think when its all said and done he'll be one of the best.

RaiderNation 04-22-2007 01:39 PM

Ryan Leaf..... no really barry sanders

22,895 04-22-2007 01:58 PM

Well I'm not better than Jerry Rice yet so I can't say me. So it's between Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith.

Severe Punishment 04-22-2007 02:00 PM

Deion Sanders ??? bwahahahah
Rod Woodson owned Deion Sanders.

All time players I've seen in my lifetime...
Offense - Jerry Rice / Barry Sanders / Brett Favre
Rice was the personification of effort and preperation.
Sanders individual skill is beyond comparisson and
Favre , when he's done will be a top 3 QB of all time.

I'll do defense later.

bigbluedefense 04-22-2007 02:01 PM

Im gonna play devil's advocate here and try to say some negatives about Rice.

While he was in my mind the undisputed best WR ever, he was also an extremely fortunate WR his entire career.

He played in the WCO his whole career, which gives him the oppurtunity at more catches and YAC compared to other systems.

He's had great quarterbacks throw him the ball everywhere he went.

He was properly utilized since day one.

Not all great WRs can say the same thing. Would Rice be Rice if he was in Air Coryell his whole career?

Would he be the same player if he had Trent Dilfer throwing him the ball?

So while he was a great talent, let's not forget, that he was also a very fortunate player to have been in the right situation since the day he stepped on the field.

22,895 04-22-2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 330103)
Im gonna play devil's advocate here and try to say some negatives about Rice.

While he was in my mind the undisputed best WR ever, he was also an extremely fortunate WR his entire career.

He played in the WCO his whole career, which gives him the oppurtunity at more catches and YAC compared to other systems.

He's had great quarterbacks throw him the ball everywhere he went.

He was properly utilized since day one.

Not all great WRs can say the same thing. Would Rice be Rice if he was in Air Coryell his whole career?

Would he be the same player if he had Trent Dilfer throwing him the ball?

So while he was a great talent, let's not forget, that he was also a very fortunate player to have been in the right situation since the day he stepped on the field.

That's why Keyshawn Johnson is so good, but nobody gives him any credit. For his whole Career he has had stinky QBs yet he has been successful. I know this is off topic, but I just wanted to mention that.

fenikz 04-22-2007 02:07 PM

its between 3 running backs for me

Sweetness, Tim Brown, & Barry Sanders