Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Best young QB (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750)

ninerfan 08-25-2006 04:13 AM

Best young QB

Set aside the current champs - Brady, Peyton and Carson who will be the next great QB in 5-10 years time. Also forget Eli and Ben - they are now established - so who's it gonna be ?

draftguru151 08-25-2006 08:29 AM

IMO it's Rivers and it isn't really close. Cutler is 2nd though.

scorchin 08-25-2006 08:33 AM

Actually, Simms is the only one who has done anything in real game time. Most of these guys have preseason, but that's it. Boller has some experience, but I say simms is the one who has beenimpressive.

TitleTown088 08-25-2006 09:32 AM

not saying he's the best or anything , but i think rodgers should be on the list if you have guys like cutler , young and leinhart, who arn't going to start right away either. with that being said i think cutler will be the best.

Geo 08-25-2006 09:38 AM

Agreed, adding Aaron Rodgers and Tarvaris Jackson especially would be welcome.

Please remove Kyle Boller while doing so. :lol:

jackalope 08-25-2006 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorchin
Actually, Simms is the only one who has done anything in real game time. Most of these guys have preseason, but that's it. Boller has some experience, but I say simms is the one who has beenimpressive.

i like simms. i think he'll be a solid QB but i don't expect him to be the best on that list.

i voted cutler. i realy liked him going into the draft and it looks like he's going to be realy good.

Aaron Rodgers should be on the list in place of Boller. Rodgers has looked very good in TC and preseason and quited all the talk of him being a bust.

Smooth Criminal 08-25-2006 10:01 AM

Chris Simms is the only one with a good amount of playing time.

Alot of these guys will be successful. I'll take Cutler to be the best. No reason realy just a good feeling.

njx9 08-25-2006 10:14 AM

i don't think simms will ever be great, but he'll be a good starter, in that 10-15 range of qbs.

i think boller's done. if nothing else, i have to believe that signing mcnair shattered any confidence he had left. he'll probably be a good back-up in the league at this point.

i obviously have an affinity for cutler, but i'd rather see some of these guys start a few games before i make any judgements on the rookies.

having just disqualified my pick, i've liked rivers since his junior year at NC State. he was actually a guy i was hoping would be in the broncos range (and i think he may have been pre-bowl game and pre-senior bowl), so as much as it pains me to say it, i think it'll be him.

Ravens1991 08-25-2006 10:17 AM

agreed njx, Boller's bad at reading coverages, stares down his target and forces some passes, plus his footwork isn't good at all, I remember him tripping over his own feet a couple of times this past season. The funny thing was against the Broncos some sideline reporter said "Brian Billick said to me last night that the thing he likes about Kyle Boller is he never makes the same mistake twice".

bigbluedefense 08-25-2006 10:19 AM

I have it between Cutler and Rivers. I actually like Cutler's physical ability more than Rivers, and both are on great teams, we'll see who can put it together better. One thing I dislike about Rivers is that sidearm delivery, Cutler has all the measureables but he needs to put it together mentally.

I think mentally the most ready is Leinart, but his arm isn't great. He has a potent offense around him, and could potentially put up the best numbers out of this group, but I don't think he will be the best because of his physical limitations. Ive seen some of his balls float in the air too much....thats a big no no in this league.

Ultimately only time will tell, we honestly don't know. I think Cutler, Rivers, and Leinart will all be great. I think Schaub will be serviceable, and so will Frye and Simms. I think Rodgers, Smith, Campbell and Young will be busts. But again, only time will tell.

P-L 08-25-2006 11:13 AM

I gotta go with Rivers. I liked him a lot coming out of college and I think he has all the tools to be successful in the pros.

08-25-2006 11:16 AM

I'm gonna go with Matt Leinart, he has great players around him and he has a good mentor to help make the transition to the NFL in Warner. I think in 3-4 years we will think of him the same way as we think of Carson Palmer now.

Vikes99ej 08-25-2006 11:38 AM

I'm gonna say Rivers. He'll have a better year than most expect.

TimD 08-25-2006 12:24 PM

Add Andrew Walter, Kellen Clemons, and Tavaris Jackson
take off Boller haha

eacantdraft 08-25-2006 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by javon favre
I'm gonna go with Matt Leinart, he has great players around him and he has a good mentor to help make the transition to the NFL in Warner. I think in 3-4 years we will think of him the same way as we think of Carson Palmer now.

Except Leinhart has a bad offensive line and belongs to a historically cursed franchise.

Jay Cutler is my choice. He has the best coaching and organization of any of the guys mentioned.

Pit Bull #53 08-25-2006 12:47 PM

Everyone is on the Cutler bandwagon now, yet before the draft, you couldn't go 2 days without a post talking about how "overhyped" he was, and how he was "gonna be the next Kyle Boller". There were posts 5-10 pages long about this (CoolRider) where only a couple of people defended him.

I had him as the best in this draft, and I think he'll be the best out of this group when it's all said and done, with Phillip Rivers coming in a close 2nd.

yourfavestoner 08-25-2006 01:45 PM

I have a feeling that if he ever gets the chance to play, Ingle Martin could be a good starting quarterback in this league.

Anybody else think that it's ironic that he got screwed under Zook at Florida, and after he transferred, Meyer came in, and Martin would have been perfect in Meyer's system.

08-25-2006 02:01 PM

Matt Cassel belongs on that list

johbur 08-25-2006 02:02 PM

In due time, Leinart is my choice to be the next great QB. His line isn't good now, but that can change over the course of a year or two with the draft and FA. What he does have is the top WR tandem, a good TE to grow with, and we'll see if Edge maintains, or the Cards draft an RB to help out. He'll also have a good defense when he eventually starts.

When you talk about how franchises were "traditionally" before an impact player went there, how was Green Bay doing for the 20 or so years after Lombardi left and Favre went there? 9ers had 7 losing seasons out of eight or so prior to Montana being named the starter, including consecutive 2-14 years. Bengals had 15 yars or so after Boomer in which they were the Bungals prior to Carson Palmer.

P-L 08-25-2006 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53
Everyone is on the Cutler bandwagon now, yet before the draft, you couldn't go 2 days without a post talking about how "overhyped" he was, and how he was "gonna be the next Kyle Boller". There were posts 5-10 pages long about this (CoolRider) where only a couple of people defended him.

I had him as the best in this draft, and I think he'll be the best out of this group when it's all said and done, with Phillip Rivers coming in a close 2nd.

Yep, well had had a good preseason. And we all know if someone has a good preseason it must mean they are going to have a great career.

SeanTaylorRIP 08-25-2006 02:57 PM

Geez you have Boller on the list, might as well have Joey Harringon up there too.

Basileus777 08-25-2006 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stingray19
Matt Cassel belongs on that list

:lol:

Splat 08-25-2006 03:34 PM

Schaub.

ninerfan 08-25-2006 04:05 PM

I'm surprised Schaub has only 1 vote out of 30 ? :oops:

I think he's a free agent next year and there will be a bidding war for him, where ever he goes he'll have a legitimate shot at starting

Staubach12 08-25-2006 04:10 PM

Testeverde.

Out of those problably Simms.