Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Jenkins comment from Yasinskas (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7706)

toonsterwu 04-24-2007 05:38 PM

Jenkins comment from Yasinskas

Anyhow, I didn't see a thread for anything new on Jenkins, and I thought a portion of it was an interesting enough to warrant a thread ... if this is repeated elsewhere, sorry

anyhow, it comes from Pat Yasinskas' blog, the Observers Panthers beat writer

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/

"Fox and Hurney mum on Jenkins
What coach John Fox and general manager Marty Hurney didn't say during Tuesday's pre-draft meeting with the media might have been more telling than what they did say.

When asked if he thought Kris Jenkins would be at Panthers mini-camp the week after the draft, Fox said the odds favored that scenario. Fox and Hurney quickly added that Jenkins remains under contract to the team and said they wouldn't comment on trade speculation.

Keeping mum on the Jenkins situation is what Fox and Hurney have been doing since word got around the league earlier this month that they were shopping the defensive tackle. To date, there have been no deals.

But that doesn't mean Fox's prediction of Jenkins showing up for mini-camp in Charlotte next week will come true. If there's going to be a trade for Jenkins, it won't come until Friday or Saturday. It makes for fun speculation on talk radio and chat rooms in the weeks leading into the draft. But trades generally don't happen until the day of or the day before the draft.

That's when teams get desperate and start to compromise. Several teams have shown interest in Jenkins, and the St. Louis Rams are probably at the top of the list. Word is the Panthers are seeking a second-round pick in this year's draft and a pick in a later round in either this year's draft or next year. Stay tuned."

That's a lot to be asking for. A 2nd and more?

Go_Eagles77 04-24-2007 06:40 PM

I don't think a 2nd is realistic, maybe a 3rd.

Ward 04-24-2007 07:16 PM

If Anthony McFarland warranted a (late) 2nd, then surely Jenkins would too.

bored of education 04-24-2007 07:18 PM

a late 2nd

Geo 04-24-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward (Post 338973)

You can't get any later in the 2nd Round than the 64th pick! :D

asmitty45 04-24-2007 07:48 PM

I'd say he's worth a mid-late second now, healthy he's as good as any DT in the league so id say, if he can stay healthy, second round is a steal

D-Unit 04-24-2007 08:42 PM

A late second rounder like the Cowboys and another late pick would certainly be appealing. Cowboys have 2 6th rounders and 3 7th rounders.

I would do the deal if I were Jerry Jones.

JCutlery 04-24-2007 08:46 PM

I'd say he's worth an early third.

toonsterwu 04-24-2007 08:52 PM

I guess it depends on what the later round asset they wanted was. If it's anything higher than 3rd or 4th, I think that's too much. If it's 5th-7th, fine. I'm fine with the 2nd, as I noted in the locked thread, I just think expecting two pieces might be a tad too much, as minimal as a day 2 pick might sound.

Geo 04-24-2007 08:59 PM

Perhaps a deal will be made involving a conditional 2008 pick, somewhat protecting the team trading for Jenkins against the possibility of injury, but also rewarding the Panthers should Jenkins be productive elsewhere.

BlindSite 04-24-2007 09:02 PM

The only defensive tackles you could realistically put ahead of him in the NFL are:
Henderson
Stroud
Rogers
Williams

Theres not many others who're better, some who're comparable, but not many who're better. A 2nd is fair value imo. No DT in the second is going to be as good as he is for the next three years, and none, realistically project to be as good.

Paranoidmoonduck 04-24-2007 09:03 PM

I don't claim to be that up to date on Jenkins' status, but I do know he played pretty well last year, and despite some trouble with alcohol, is one of the more talented defensive tackles around.

You figure some team out there has got to be willing to pay the price of a 2nd rounder and another late 2nd day pick (if that is the case) if they are convinced Jenkins will be reliable for them.

D-Unit 04-24-2007 09:11 PM

C'mon Jerry Jones!!!!

HawkeyeFan 04-24-2007 09:27 PM

Would Panther fans do a 4th Round pick and Joe Klopfenstein for him?

BlindSite 04-24-2007 09:54 PM

Personally, I would, because then we could take Nelson, Weddle and a linebacker in the third and be sitting pretty.

D-Unit 04-24-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan (Post 339622)
Would Panther fans do a 4th Round pick and Joe Klopfenstein for him?

Rams are drafting Branch. Done deal.

EvilMonkey 04-24-2007 11:16 PM

in regards to mcfarland. IMO he was valued a little higher because he was supposed to fill a glaring need during the season. You never know what could happen be4 the season starts in terms of cuts and rookies and other players developing so i think right now GMs r tighter with picks and he is only worth a 3rd. If he was healthy and on the block when indy traded for mcfarland, i think he'd fetch a 2nd easily.

BlindSite 04-25-2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 339770)
Rams are drafting Branch. Done deal.

If he's still there.

Mr. Stiller 04-25-2007 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward (Post 338973)

True, but that was also Trade Deadline on a team making a superbowl run. Now, had they not won the superbowl, people would look back and say how ridiculous that trade was. But they won, and it looks great.

McFarland isn't fighting depression or Alcoholism either.

BlindSite 04-25-2007 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller (Post 340798)
True, but that was also Trade Deadline on a team making a superbowl run. Now, had they not won the superbowl, people would look back and say how ridiculous that trade was. But they won, and it looks great.

McFarland hasn't fought depression or Alcoholism in the past either.

Fixed

He's had problems, doesn't have.

Mr. Stiller 04-25-2007 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindSite (Post 340800)
Fixed

He's had problems, doesn't have.

Are you certain? because frankly.. It's hard to just be cured of Alcoholism.

BlindSite 04-25-2007 03:29 AM

Alcoholism or addiction to substance is a result of an X factor in your life. Some people got beat by their daddy, others have something recent come into their life that causes them to lose control. Jenkins got injured and for the first time since he could remember he was away from his support network. There were no problems when he had his knee injured a year later and nothing this year either.

Ravens1991 04-25-2007 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 339540)
C'mon Jerry Jones!!!!

What position do you think that Jenkins would play in a 3-4? I havent seen a lot of him play.

skinzzfan25 04-25-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindSite (Post 339500)
The only defensive tackles you could realistically put ahead of him in the NFL are:
Henderson
Stroud
Rogers
Williams

Theres not many others who're better, some who're comparable, but not many who're better. A 2nd is fair value imo. No DT in the second is going to be as good as he is for the next three years, and none, realistically project to be as good.

That Tommie Harris guy is alright :\

Stash 04-25-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindSite (Post 339500)
Henderson
Stroud
Rogers
Williams

Hampton is better and the other Williams as well. I'm not sure which Williams you are talking about because there are two good ones that should be included, the one is SD and the one in Minny.