Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Al Wilson officially released. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7731)

D-Unit 04-24-2007 09:46 PM

Al Wilson officially released.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Who will replace him?

JCutlery 04-24-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 339389)

D.J. Williams will likely be moved to the middle and Cameron Vaughn/Nate Webster will be the starter at SAM. Some competition will likely be thrown in come draft weekend.

JK17 04-24-2007 09:49 PM

I know usually fans of other teams looking in don't know everything about a teams sitaution. For example Chargers fans don't view Donnie Edwards as big of a loss as some other team's fans do. For Broncos fans, do you think this is a major loss, or was Wilson losing effectiveness and more of just a team leader at this point?

bigbluedefense 04-24-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK17 (Post 339410)
I know usually fans of other teams looking in don't know everything about a teams sitaution. For example Chargers fans don't view Donnie Edwards as big of a loss as some other team's fans do. For Broncos fans, do you think this is a major loss, or was Wilson losing effectiveness and more of just a team leader at this point?

thats a great question that I would like to know as well.

JoeMontainya 04-24-2007 10:11 PM

I think it is a huge loss to Denver. His leadership was second to only a few. Luckily they have some good veterans that comand just as much respect on that D to get them a fairly easy transition.

JCutlery 04-24-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK17 (Post 339410)

From talent standpoint: Not a huge loss. Like I said earlier, Williams is capable of moving inside and we need a good SAM linebacker anyway, as DJ never fit that bill.

From a leadership standpoint: HUGE loss. Someone will need to step up as leader of the front-seven..

JK17 04-24-2007 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCutlery (Post 339658)
From talent standpoint: Not a huge loss. Like I said earlier, Williams is capable of moving inside and we need a good SAM linebacker anyway, as DJ never fit that bill.

From a leadership standpoint: HUGE loss. Someone will need to step up as leader of the front-seven..

Alright thanks, I thought that would probably be the situation. Who do you think will fill that leadership role on the D?

Denver Bronco99 04-24-2007 11:19 PM

I mean a huge loss in the fact that he was a very talented...but throw in his leadership and WOW its a BIG LOSS....but DJ is every bit as talented plus some....and we do have some good players in webster and the new guy in vaughn...so we will have to see how they work out....

but it is a big loss...but bates will find a way to make it all work

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 04-24-2007 11:37 PM

Al Wilson is a great player. Although if his neck is that bad he might not be what he was. Either way, huge loss leadership-wise. It was him and Lynch as the vocal leaders of the D. Gold might be able to step in and assume the role, although he blows. Well not really, but still. I would not be opposed to dumping Gold's ass and picking up a guy like David Harris at some point.

Denver Bronco99 04-25-2007 10:24 AM

i honestly think we have had a great OFFSEASON...and if wilson is unable to paly then we didnt lose anything..a.s the last couple weeks he was benched and he was missing takles left and right. So obviously he was hurt bad enough to have to cut him

JK17 04-25-2007 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341174)
"missing tackles left and right" - what games were you watching? or maybe you were seeing gold and just thought it was wilson.

but yeah, we didn't really lose much. only our best LBer year in and year out in exchange for an overpriced blocking end, an overpriced CB, an overpriced back-up QB, and another cleveland cast-off. hot.

but yeah, we got a running back. GREAT offseason.

Where does this put linebacker on the Broncos draft radar now, or do they have any talent at all on the bench to come in?

portermvp84 04-25-2007 10:53 AM

I heard Jon Clayton saying on ESPN, that NYG and the Bills are intersted in him.

Bengals1690 04-25-2007 11:09 AM

ok, the bengals need him. sign him to play until thurman comes back, please!!!

eacantdraft 04-25-2007 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portermvp84 (Post 341214)
I heard Jon Clayton saying on ESPN, that NYG and the Bills are intersted in him.

He failed the Giants physical so I don't think they would be interested in him.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 04-25-2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341211)
it could go either way. denver has addressed LBer even less frequently in the draft than DL, however the broncos do have a decent history of getting their starter through the draft. if the right guy is in range, i could see us taking one in the first (or second if someone falls). if he's not, it wouldn't surprise me to see the position go unaddressed.

Do you think there's any chance we cut him as a cap move and are planning to re-sign him for a lower price? I sure hope so.

JCutlery 04-25-2007 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341009)
cutlery: how is it not a massive loss talent wise? we're starting nate fricking webster instead (as of right now). yeah, minor stepdown talent-wise. or something.

We were crowded at LB anyway, as DJ wasn't getting any opportunites in the nickel packages. I think Al will be easily replaced talent-wise. I already explained that (Williams is moved to the middle and we draft a true SAM).. It's the leadership that we'll have trouble replacing.

JCutlery 04-25-2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341302)
i know that was rumored intent, but i somehow doubt we'll get him to come back for cheap, especially given that there's interest from other teams, and imo, he hasn't really lost any skill (age would be the only factor i see here).

Maybe next year, but I doubt Wilson plays this year at all..

JCutlery 04-25-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341328)
i'd like to see you quote 5 people who agree with you.

How about Al himself.. Did you watch his final press conference?

bored of education 04-25-2007 11:50 AM

Addressing LB 1st round maybe and DE 2nd round?

JCutlery 04-25-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341326)
jesus h christ. how is this difficult? with wilson gone, moving williams to the middle means we're still bloody losing a starting linebacker.

Do you read posts before you angerily respond to them?

DJ replaces Al.

Then we draft a SAM, which we've needed all along. It's not that hard to understand.

:rolleyes:

JCutlery 04-25-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341334)
*yawn*

yeah, just like i saw eddie kennison's when he retired from denver.

Dude, I gave you a logical response. Get over yourself.. :confused:

JCutlery 04-25-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341362)
do you think before you post things that aren't relevant or true?

Yes, yes I do.

WE NEED A LB THAT CAN COVER TIGHT ENDS. AND WE HAVE ALWAYS NEEDED THAT. DJ REPLACES AL WILSON, THEREFORE THERE IS NO BIG TALENT DROPOFF.

Does all caps help you read? Just wondering..

JCutlery 04-25-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341368)
and i told you that your "logical response" was irrelevant based on past events. should i assume this is how you'll always respond when people disagree with you and don't sugarcoat it? either come back with something else or admit you were wrong, don't whine that i'm not nice.

Yeah, Kennison's situation was much different. Nice try, though.

And I think I would take the words out of Al Wilson's mouth over your comparison with a past event...

JCutlery 04-25-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341395)
again, please read. al wilson was a top 5 MLB. DJ Williams could be a top 5 mlb. NO ONE WE DRAFT WILL BE A TOP 5 LB. that's called losing talent. but hey, if DJ couldn't cover TE's (remember, you said WE NEED A LB THAT CAN COVER TIGHT ENDS implying that we don't have one), i'm sure nearly every linebacker in the draft this year can. especially given that DJ is one of the most atheltic linebackers in the league. is this really that hard for you to follow, or do you think that repeating over and over that a rookie linebacker will be better than al wilson will somehow make it true?

are you honestly deluded enough to believe that, say, lawrence timmons or jon beason are better players than wilson?

Jesus christ man, my point is based on two things.

1. DJ was rendered useless as a SAM backer. He didn't fit, he couldn't cover LBs as well, he didn't play in the nickel packages, etc. Just because he's highly athletic doesn't mean he's a good fit. We move him to Al's position, and in my opinion, there's not a big dropoff in talent.

2. We find a true SAM, whether it's within our organization (Cameron Vaughn has been mentioned) or draft one on the first day. Stewart Bradley/Quincy Black/etc. Any of these guys would be a more effective SAM than DJ ever was.

It's more about finding a true replacement for DJ, not Al.

JCutlery 04-25-2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 341399)
how, exactly, was kennison's situation different?

but yeah, i ALWAYS believe a player will retire after or just before he's going to be cut just because he says he will. just like i always believe what teams say about who they intend to draft right before the draft. i mean, it makes complete logical sense. people never say things they don't mean because of emotion, nor are they ever tempted out of retirement by petty things like money.

Kennison did not suffer a potentially career-ending injury.

Al hasn't been cleared by any doctors to play, and he says he's not worrying about football, he's just living his life. Maybe this injury is a lot worse than you think.