Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Texas vs Oklahoma (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800)

10-01-2006 01:31 AM

Texas vs Oklahoma
 
Who you got?

Namy 10-01-2006 02:32 AM

Call me crazy, but I got OU. I have a feeling this game will catapault AD in the heisman vote.

SeanTaylorRIP 10-01-2006 07:36 AM

Texas all the way won't be a blowout like last year but I think 28-17. AP will be held down.

Shane P. Hallam 10-01-2006 10:34 AM

I'm pulling for Texas, but I think OK squeaks it out.

danman253 10-01-2006 10:35 AM

OU. Peterson will have a good game, but McCoy is gonna struggle IMO, and the OU defense takes advantage of his mistakes.

24-16 OU

HawkeyeFan 10-01-2006 11:46 AM

Oklahoma!

P-L 10-01-2006 11:51 AM

Oklahoma. McCoy struggled in his first big game and I'm not sold that Rice and Sam Houston State "prepared" him for Oklahoma like a lot of experts have suggested. A healthy Adrian Peterson is the best player in the country and so far Paul Thompson has done just enough to keep defenses honest. High scoring with a lot of rushing yards from both teams, but Adrian Peterson will be too much.

Oklahoma - 31, Texas 24

SeanTaylorRIP 10-01-2006 01:32 PM

It will be Jamal Charles who runs wild not Adrian Peterson.

keylime_5 10-01-2006 01:39 PM

Texas is a heckuva team. I think that Paul Thompson is gonna have a bad day and Oklahoma's D is gonna play bad

Ward 10-01-2006 06:41 PM

Texas by a large margin. Don't fool yourselves.

LonghornsLegend 10-02-2006 12:43 PM

you guys are underestimating mccoy...he's gotten so much better since that ohio st game, besides it was his 2nd start of the year....


paul thompson is alot worse, while both teams have great defenses, thompson is prone to make ALOT more mistakes....


peterson and charles will both have big games though....but i think you have to look outside of rb and qb, texas has way too many athletes at wr, o line, and defense as a whole....were not going against troy smith and ginn now, peterson you can believe will see 8 man fronts alot, its going to be alot harder for them to put 8 in the box for us because of sweed


is this going to be a bigger game then lsu vs florida?

LonghornsLegend 10-02-2006 12:43 PM

you guys are underestimating mccoy...he's gotten so much better since that ohio st game, besides it was his 2nd start of the year....


paul thompson is alot worse, while both teams have great defenses, thompson is prone to make ALOT more mistakes....


peterson and charles will both have big games though....but i think you have to look outside of rb and qb, texas has way too many athletes at wr, o line, and defense as a whole....were not going against troy smith and ginn now, peterson you can believe will see 8 man fronts alot, its going to be alot harder for them to put 8 in the box for us because of sweed


is this going to be a bigger game then lsu vs florida?

therock6000 10-02-2006 12:46 PM

UT...should be a good one...

RyanLeaf#1 10-02-2006 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sqad Up
Oklahoma 54 Texas 42

Last time I checked there is just as many defensive as offensive players on the field.

P-L 10-02-2006 01:19 PM

I think that OU defense will click eventually. On paper, they are a top 5 defense but they haven't played like it. I think as they continue to play together they'll play up to their abilities. I think it'll be a real close one.

Dave 10-02-2006 06:53 PM

Seeing as how I was raised in Texas, I obviously chose UT. I hope UT beats the mess out of Oklahoma. But to make this post meaningful, i'll analyze both teams.

Oklahoma:

Positives -
Rufus Alexander can lead that defense and make ridiculous plays all day long, but that's only if he's having an on day, if he's having an off day you might as well count out the Okalhoma Defense.

Adrian Peterson much ? Does anyone have to explain the amazingness that is AP, I mean honestly.

Negatives-
Paul Thompson: a QB converted WR converted back to QB, that's how much indescision they had about him. Given, Bomar was starting over him and everyone knew Bomar was going to be better they still felt like Paul had a better chance playing WR than QB and that puts a sign out there. He still has the arm obviously but it's the vision and accuracy to see the field and place it where it SHOULD be he's lacking at the moment. Something he would of developed had they left him at QB instead of moving him to WR. My biggest question for Paul Thompson is, will he begin to move out of the pocket and make plays ? OU isn't known for their scrambling QB's, but when you have one you work with it.

O-Line: Where have they been this year, they've played amazing at times and totally forgotten they have an inexperienced QB behind them who needs extra time. I don't have a lot of negatives for them because they've been good, but can they stand up to the UT d-line that has been dishing it out all year ?

UT:

Positives -

Jamaal Charles: Obviously coming into the role of RB better than Adrian Peterson did his second year, but is he the real deal. I really wish they would just start Charles the rest of the year and make Young the back up RB, but Young has waited his turn to start through Cedric Benson and injuries. Only time will tell, and if he puts it to the OU defense, this could be a pretty big game for Charles.

Colt McCoy: On the upslide for now I think, he's shown flashes of brilliance but against a Big Ten defense in OSU he didn't perform that well. I can't say it was all his fault but he could of done better. Hopefully he can decimate the OU secondary while they're still finding out how to cover receivers.

Negatives -

Defensive backs: I mean for real guys.. whats up with that defensive secondary for Texas just gettin beaten up. Ohio State surely didn't notice they were there and they've been giving up stupid plays constantly. What happened to UT having a secondary that people feared and that knocked people out. I liked that defense, and personally want it back.

WR's, most notably Billy Pittman: Where's my boy at? Mr. You can't catch me turned into Mr. I don't like to run. This kid needs some hussle put back into him and it's annoying to see such a great group of WR's with uncountable potential act like a bunch of children on the playing field when they could very well rip up any team on any given day. I just want them to perform.. that would be nice.

Don't get too mad at me for my opinions, simply subjective here.

LonghornsLegend 10-02-2006 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
Seeing as how I was raised in Texas, I obviously chose UT. I hope UT beats the mess out of Oklahoma. But to make this post meaningful, i'll analyze both teams.

Oklahoma:

Positives -
Rufus Alexander can lead that defense and make ridiculous plays all day long, but that's only if he's having an on day, if he's having an off day you might as well count out the Okalhoma Defense.

Adrian Peterson much ? Does anyone have to explain the amazingness that is AP, I mean honestly.

Negatives-
Paul Thompson: a QB converted WR converted back to QB, that's how much indescision they had about him. Given, Bomar was starting over him and everyone knew Bomar was going to be better they still felt like Paul had a better chance playing WR than QB and that puts a sign out there. He still has the arm obviously but it's the vision and accuracy to see the field and place it where it SHOULD be he's lacking at the moment. Something he would of developed had they left him at QB instead of moving him to WR. My biggest question for Paul Thompson is, will he begin to move out of the pocket and make plays ? OU isn't known for their scrambling QB's, but when you have one you work with it.

O-Line: Where have they been this year, they've played amazing at times and totally forgotten they have an inexperienced QB behind them who needs extra time. I don't have a lot of negatives for them because they've been good, but can they stand up to the UT d-line that has been dishing it out all year ?

UT:

Positives -

Jamaal Charles: Obviously coming into the role of RB better than Adrian Peterson did his second year, but is he the real deal. I really wish they would just start Charles the rest of the year and make Young the back up RB, but Young has waited his turn to start through Cedric Benson and injuries. Only time will tell, and if he puts it to the OU defense, this could be a pretty big game for Charles.

Colt McCoy: On the upslide for now I think, he's shown flashes of brilliance but against a Big Ten defense in OSU he didn't perform that well. I can't say it was all his fault but he could of done better. Hopefully he can decimate the OU secondary while they're still finding out how to cover receivers.

Negatives -

Defensive backs: I mean for real guys.. whats up with that defensive secondary for Texas just gettin beaten up. Ohio State surely didn't notice they were there and they've been giving up stupid plays constantly. What happened to UT having a secondary that people feared and that knocked people out. I liked that defense, and personally want it back.

WR's, most notably Billy Pittman: Where's my boy at? Mr. You can't catch me turned into Mr. I don't like to run. This kid needs some hussle put back into him and it's annoying to see such a great group of WR's with uncountable potential act like a bunch of children on the playing field when they could very well rip up any team on any given day. I just want them to perform.. that would be nice.

Don't get too mad at me for my opinions, simply subjective here.


I like what you said about selvin young, your exactly right thats the only reason he is starting, and he has earned it because we cant forget the promise and talent he showed behind benson those years....


but i disagree with the wr's aspect, ALOT....i think that's the under rated part of our offense I agree but they have the talent to make the plays when needed, did you see the game where UT played Iowa St? Jermichael Finley jumped up and snatached the ball away at its highest point out of the arms of the safety and db and pulled it down, going to be a future top 10 TE from UT, sweed makes a great play every game ive seen thus far, whether deep ball or short screen broken into a long gain, pittmann has the talent we all know, and i think if called upon for a big play he would deliver without a problem, i just think its on the offensive coordinator to deliver the plays and mccoy to play with confidence, but i trust him more then i think i would if i had paul thompson for OU and im happy for the easy past few games, that was more for him probably then our whole team playing UNT, Sam houston st, and Rice

P-L 10-02-2006 09:40 PM

I know he hasn't played a great defense yet, but has anyone watched Paul Thompson? This isn't the same guy that played TCU last year. Thompson has played very well so far this year. He did struggle in his first game, but has looked great since. He ranks 13th in the NCAA in Passing Efficiency, only two spots behind Troy Smith. The main problem for him will be inexperience, but McCoy isn't the most experienced QB either. I'm not guaranteeing OU wins, but it's ridiculous to say they won't because Paul Thompson is their QB.

LonghornsLegend 10-02-2006 09:58 PM

I never did, i just said id trust mccoy with our rb's and wr's and strong o line before i would paul thompson with ad, their line, and their wr's....im not basing that solely on talent and experience with just the player in question, basing it on surrounding factors as well as their talent...


but it will go down to the final minutes, the past few years have been blow outs either way but this one will be close and i will even admit it could go either way but i will say ill be surprised if we lose, i think were alot better team then the OSU game showed, and overall as a team match up alot better then OU does with us, i cant say that about anyone else on our schedule but the buckeyes and they matched up better with us at the key positions

Dave 10-02-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamonceTaylorThaGreat
I like what you said about selvin young, your exactly right thats the only reason he is starting, and he has earned it because we cant forget the promise and talent he showed behind benson those years....


but i disagree with the wr's aspect, ALOT....i think that's the under rated part of our offense I agree but they have the talent to make the plays when needed, did you see the game where UT played Iowa St? Jermichael Finley jumped up and snatached the ball away at its highest point out of the arms of the safety and db and pulled it down, going to be a future top 10 TE from UT, sweed makes a great play every game ive seen thus far, whether deep ball or short screen broken into a long gain, pittmann has the talent we all know, and i think if called upon for a big play he would deliver without a problem, i just think its on the offensive coordinator to deliver the plays and mccoy to play with confidence, but i trust him more then i think i would if i had paul thompson for OU and im happy for the easy past few games, that was more for him probably then our whole team playing UNT, Sam houston st, and Rice


I agree our Receiver's are underrated but you used Iowa State as an example. They play in the Big 12 North, no one will ever take a Big 12 North team serious until they win the Big 12. Especially not Iowa State. They have few bright spots on that team. Granted, Finley made an amazing catch and we've shown we can play. I think you would agree with me when I say that we should be doing this more than once a game though. We've got the potential to be putting up the same 50 points a game that Vince did.

I feel Pittman heard the " you play like Roy Williams " thing too quick. I've heard reporters say it, and it pisses me off. Pittman isn't producing enough to even be comparable to Williams. Granted, in the NFL Williams is doing jack crap other than talking. Comparable in that regard, yes; Comparable in talent, I think not. I think Pittman could be like Roy Williams, but at this time, that would be overrating him.

P-L 10-02-2006 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamonceTaylorThaGreat
I never did, i just said id trust mccoy with our rb's and wr's and strong o line before i would paul thompson with ad, their line, and their wr's....im not basing that solely on talent and experience with just the player in question, basing it on surrounding factors as well as their talent...


but it will go down to the final minutes, the past few years have been blow outs either way but this one will be close and i will even admit it could go either way but i will say ill be surprised if we lose, i think were alot better team then the OSU game showed, and overall as a team match up alot better then OU does with us, i cant say that about anyone else on our schedule but the buckeyes and they matched up better with us at the key positions

I wasn't actually adressing you. I actually had typed up my post before I saw yours. :lol:

thetedginnshow 10-02-2006 10:51 PM

RUUUUUUUUUUFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS




...and that's all they really need. :P

Dave 10-02-2006 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetedginnshow
RUUUUUUUUUUFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS




...and that's all they really need. :P

Nice explanation there, you're argument already invalid. Rufus Alexander is a great player, noted; but, surprise, he's inconsistent and makes horrid plays sometimes that he shouldn't. I had him as one of the best LB's in the NCAA coming into this year, boy has he dissapointed as such. Rufus Alexander is a has been at this point, he'll really have to do some superman bs to change my mind.

thetedginnshow 10-02-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:

Originally Posted by thetedginnshow
RUUUUUUUUUUFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS




...and that's all they really need. :P

Nice explanation there, you're argument already invalid. Rufus Alexander is a great player, noted; but, surprise, he's inconsistent and makes horrid plays sometimes that he shouldn't. I had him as one of the best LB's in the NCAA coming into this year, boy has he dissapointed as such. Rufus Alexander is a has been at this point, he'll really have to do some superman bs to change my mind.

You are the most serious person ever. Rock your angry face!

Dave 10-02-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetedginnshow
You are the most serious person ever. Rock your angry face!

You're right I am the most serious person ever, because I have a passion for football. If you're gonna make some ho-dunk comment, the least you could do is back it up. That's like predicting the score for a game, it's pointless unless you justify it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.