Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Grossman...Superbowl Bound? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807)

Daniel Adams 10-03-2006 03:11 PM

Grossman...Superbowl Bound?
 
I know a lot of people are jumping on the Rex Grossman band wagon right now. What I want to know is this...

Do you think Rex Grossman is capable of leading his team to the Superbowl in 2006/2007?

I'd have to say no because I don't think he has the experience or the composure to. He has shown he can play QB in the NFL but can he be on the elite level? Too many questions around him for him to take da Bears to Miami this year, IMO.

-DA

LonghornsLegend 10-03-2006 03:21 PM

they were a super bowl team last year(someone who could have easily made it) and they werent balanced, rex doesnt have to be superman in the playoffs because they will most likely be home and have 2 solid backs with arguably the best defense top to bottom, he has always been solid athletically but i dont think inexperience will hurt him if they dont put games on his shoulder....


but i see them as the #1 team in the NFC, them and carolina would make for a great playoff rematch in the NFC champ game

IRONMAN27 10-03-2006 03:37 PM

Re: Grossman...Superbowl Bound?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Adams
I know a lot of people are jumping on the Rex Grossman band wagon right now. What I want to know is this...

Do you think Rex Grossman is capable of leading his team to the Superbowl in 2006/2007?

I'd have to say no because I don't think he has the experience or the composure to. He has shown he can play QB in the NFL but can he be on the elite level? Too many questions around him for him to take da Bears to Miami this year, IMO.

-DA

Not Yet... he is getting there, but no, not this year

ShutDwn 10-03-2006 03:40 PM

Doesn't matter. The defense will do the leading. IMO they (The Bears) are the best in the league right now.

bigbluedefense 10-03-2006 03:44 PM

Not yet no. Teams had no game tape of him. Now they do and can gameplan accordlingly. He's still too early in his develop to lead this team to the SB. You see it with every developing qb. They have a "break out", then towards the end of the season they regress as teams figure out their tendencies, and by playoff time they disappoint. The same will probably happen to Grossman. Next year though is a different story.

I think more important than Grossman is the run game. Theyve run for horrible averages. I understand the run game sees 8 man fronts, but if DC's start disrespecting the run game, they will come out with a 7 man front and put more pressure on Grossman. That indirectly can effect his game.

LonghornsLegend 10-03-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
They have a "break out", then towards the end of the season they regress as teams figure out their tendencies, and by playoff time they disappoint. The same will probably happen to Grossman.


every instance is different with each qb, and its kinda hard to say one player will do the same as one before him did just because it typically happens...typically rookies couldnt go undefeated like Ben did and he pulled it off, so grossman could never start to lower their level of play because the strength of the team isnt the qb position by far....the defense will lead the way, half they time they score points, and keep the score very low, even if he had bad games most teams will not have more then 17 points by the 4th qt, he would only need 1 or 2 big plays in that instant, if they use him properly he wont have to win any games based solely on his performance....they were a great team with orton, if grossman regressed this year like you say he still would be better then what they had last year

keylime_5 10-03-2006 03:48 PM

So far Chicago is unquestionably the best team in the NFC. Not only do I think he can take them there, I know he will. The NFC is a sad place except for Chicago, Seattle, and the NFC East, but Chicago is head and shoulders above the rest of their conference

TitleTown088 10-03-2006 04:08 PM

they may go to the SB , but it's going to be because of the defene not because of grossman. And who says he's gonna make it to the SB? he'll break a nail or somthing and will sit the rest of the season, so maybe greise will lead them.. :wink:

portermvp84 10-03-2006 04:11 PM

He has an average team at best. He will go the playoffs just because he is a weak divison.

10-03-2006 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portermvp84
He has an average team at best. He will go the playoffs just because he is a weak divison.

was that a serious statement?

Basileus777 10-03-2006 04:28 PM

The Bears can win a Superbowl with Grossman as their qb. He doesn't need to carry the team or even play at an elite level, he just needs to be good enough to take some pressure off that D and running game, which I believe he is. The Bears look like the best team in the NFL right now, and Grossman is a big part of that.

Hurricane Ditka 10-03-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portermvp84
He has an average team at best. He will go the playoffs just because he is a weak divison.

Are you serious?

bearsfan_51 10-03-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portermvp84
He has an average team at best. He will go the playoffs just because he is a weak divison.

Glad to see that some of you remain. I was losing people to argue with.

stephenson86 10-03-2006 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka
Quote:

Originally Posted by portermvp84
He has an average team at best. He will go the playoffs just because he is a weak divison.

Are you serious?

i think he is :shock:

dcarey20 10-03-2006 05:19 PM

with that defense just about anybody is capable...

do i think he will? no. but there's a decent chance.

i'm still sticking to my prediction of panthers over chargers but i'm not too confident in it and i hope i'm wrong and it turns out to be the ravens lol. :D

bearfan 10-03-2006 05:31 PM

I said yes, just because he doesnt have to be a Tom Brady and carry the team. We have 2 solid running backs and one of the best defenses in the NFL. I dont want to say like the Steelers, but sorta. We have a good running game (not yet :evil: ), but its definantly there, and a dominating defense that can change the flow of the game. I definantly think its possible, but I think that a lot of QBs in Rex's situation would be able to do so too

Staubach12 10-03-2006 05:34 PM

Yes. He's a capable QB, and right now, I'm impressed with him. He's quite able to lead the Bears to a Super Bowl.

JETS5128 10-03-2006 05:35 PM

Trent Dilfer did it, nuff said

ninerfan 10-03-2006 05:46 PM

For a guy that has less than a dozen starts he has this composure about him and he does have some serious talent so sure why not.

Daniel Adams 10-03-2006 05:50 PM

Trent Dilfer was an established veteran when he led his team to the Superbowl.

And see, here's where everyone saying "he doesn't need to lead his team" is wrong. He's the quarterback. He's the offensive leader. There's going to be a point and time where the pressure is on him...a lot of pressure. And is he going to do well or not? I doubt the defense is going to shut everyone out. Grossman is going to need to have some big drives down the strech.

The Bears do have the best defense, in my opinion, but they're going to need Grossman to say calm and play mistake free football if they want to win the big one.

bearsfan_51 10-03-2006 05:52 PM

We're 4-0. That's very impressive. I have little doubt we'll win at least 11 or 12 games (without many serious injuries) and likely get the top seed in the playoffs barring a strong comeback by the Seahawks (all teams in the South and East will lose more games by default).

You've got to think that will help us, but it promises nothing. It's usually hit or miss that the top seed makes the Superbowl. Think about how many times the Colts and Steelers looked like they were the teams to beat and then lost in the playoffs. In a one game and you're out format anything can happen.

The appreciation for the Bears is nice, but let's not go overboard here. There's a lot of football to be played.

bearsfan_51 10-03-2006 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Adams
Trent Dilfer was an established veteran when he led his team to the Superbowl.

And see, here's where everyone saying "he doesn't need to lead his team" is wrong. He's the quarterback. He's the offensive leader. There's going to be a point and time where the pressure is on him...a lot of pressure. And is he going to do well or not? I doubt the defense is going to shut everyone out. Grossman is going to need to have some big drives down the strech.

The Bears do have the best defense, in my opinion, but they're going to need Grossman to say calm and play mistake free football if they want to win the big one.

Grossman can do what Big Ben did last year. Quarterback is just a piece of the puzzle, there are plenty of mediocre QB's (sometimes very young ones) that have won Superbowls.

Daniel Adams 10-03-2006 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
We're 4-0. That's very impressive. I have little doubt we'll win at least 11 or 12 games (without many serious injuries) and likely get the top seed in the playoffs barring a strong comeback by the Seahawks (all teams in the South and East will lose more games by default).

You've got to think that will help us, but it promises nothing. It's usually hit or miss that the top seed makes the Superbowl. Think about how many times the Colts and Steelers looked like they were the teams to beat and then lost in the playoffs. In a one game and you're out format anything can happen.

The appreciation for the Bears is nice, but let's not go overboard here. There's a lot of football to be played.

Don't want to jinx your team, eh?

Daniel Adams 10-03-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Adams
Trent Dilfer was an established veteran when he led his team to the Superbowl.

And see, here's where everyone saying "he doesn't need to lead his team" is wrong. He's the quarterback. He's the offensive leader. There's going to be a point and time where the pressure is on him...a lot of pressure. And is he going to do well or not? I doubt the defense is going to shut everyone out. Grossman is going to need to have some big drives down the strech.

The Bears do have the best defense, in my opinion, but they're going to need Grossman to say calm and play mistake free football if they want to win the big one.

Grossman can do what Big Ben did last year. Quarterback is just a piece of the puzzle, there are plenty of mediocre QB's (sometimes very young ones) that have won Superbowls.

Exactly. What I'm questioning is whether or not he is capable of doing that.

Bearsfan123 10-03-2006 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Adams
Trent Dilfer was an established veteran when he led his team to the Superbowl.

And see, here's where everyone saying "he doesn't need to lead his team" is wrong. He's the quarterback. He's the offensive leader. There's going to be a point and time where the pressure is on him...a lot of pressure. And is he going to do well or not? I doubt the defense is going to shut everyone out. Grossman is going to need to have some big drives down the strech.

The Bears do have the best defense, in my opinion, but they're going to need Grossman to say calm and play mistake free football if they want to win the big one.

yes but the thing is hes leading the offense. He is the leader. You hear that from all the players that they respect him. Now as to the pressure, I dunno. But I think the rest of that offense believes he could deal and would put their faith in him to win the game.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.