Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Casey Hampton VS. Jamal Williams (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826)

Ravens1991 10-10-2006 03:08 PM

Casey Hampton VS. Jamal Williams

People debate for who is the better 3-4 NT, so the poll is here, take your pick.

bigbluedefense 10-10-2006 03:11 PM

This is such a tough debate, but I gotta give it to Jamal Williams. The man is an absolute beast. But its real real close. Hampton is a little better laterally, but Williams is an absolute plow. And Hampton is also a little bit quicker. But like I said, Williams is an absolute plow. SD has the number 1 or 2 rush D the past 2 years because of him. Once they switched over to the 3-4 and put him at nose, the results speak for themself. But Hampton is the man too.

yourfavestoner 10-10-2006 03:11 PM

Hampton has the advantage due to age. But in terms of effectiveness and production, I'd say it's even.

10-10-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Hampton has the advantage due to age. But in terms of effectiveness and production, I'd say it's even.

LonghornsLegend 10-10-2006 03:47 PM

off topic, but i cant believe we had shaun rogers and casey hampton at DT the same year and didnt win a NC :?

Ravens1991 10-10-2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamonceTaylorThaGreat
off topic, but i cant believe we had shaun rogers and casey hampton at DT the same year and didnt win a NC :?

well you guys probably had the best run D in the nation that season.

Smooth Criminal 10-10-2006 09:16 PM

I'll take Hamtpon. Both are the top 2 DTs in the game in my mind but I think Hampton is just a little bit better. Williams is a better pass rusher than Hampton is but Hampton is a very good run stuffer and he never gives up on a play. Notice who made some of the tackles on the screen passes. It was Casey Hampton's fat ass chasing LT. He saw the screen developing and made it to the sideline to stop the play. He isn't justa fatass that takes up room in the middle of the line. He manages to get to the runner whereever he is on the field.

Not taking anything away from Williams though. He is a great pass rusher and he made a Probowl Center in Hartings look like a rookie.

The Unseen 10-10-2006 09:17 PM

I voted Williams, but it's too close to really make a sure answer about.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 10-10-2006 09:19 PM

I haven't seen much of either, but in the night game, Williams looked better IMO. He just threw every blocker who tried to stop him outta the way. I didn't notice the same thing outta Hampton.

moc182 10-10-2006 10:52 PM

Jamal Williams is perfect. You couldn't build a better nose tackle.

wiseguy110 10-11-2006 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal
I'll take Hamtpon. Both are the top 2 DTs in the game in my mind but I think Hampton is just a little bit better. Williams is a better pass rusher than Hampton is but Hampton is a very good run stuffer and he never gives up on a play. Notice who made some of the tackles on the screen passes. It was Casey Hampton's fat ass chasing LT. He saw the screen developing and made it to the sideline to stop the play. He isn't justa fatass that takes up room in the middle of the line. He manages to get to the runner whereever he is on the field.

Not taking anything away from Williams though. He is a great pass rusher and he made a Probowl Center in Hartings look like a rookie.

And he drops back into pass coverage as well. I see him do it all the time and I am just in absolute shock.

draftguru151 10-11-2006 08:57 AM

I would take Jamal any day of the week. Pretty much what big blue said.

Nitschke-Hawk 10-11-2006 10:49 AM

Man, Casey Hampton is close second in my book cause of what he does all over the field, but-watching the Sd-Pittsburgh game, Jamal Williams smashed right through double teams by one of the best o-lines in the NFL, on 3 or 4 seperate occasions getting tackles for loss, and I mean smashed through. He is exactly what you want out of the NT. I was amazed watching him play. When I look at the D tackle position in general I think Williams is the cream of the crop right now, maybe even over Tommie Harris. I think Williams does more for the Chargers D than Harris does for the Bears. I'd put it this way: Jamal Williams makes the Chargers Defense go (and makes them as good as they are), and Tommie Harris puts the Bears Defense over the top. I think Harris has the better surrounding Defense, with them it's like"Who do you want to block this time? cause they're gonna get us anyway." With the Chargers it's like "Let's see if we can Block Jamal Williams, if we can, we got a good shot to win."

portermvp84 10-11-2006 10:51 AM

Jamal Williams is one of the best NT in the game, he's huge clogs up the middle and young.

bigbluedefense 10-11-2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draftguru151
I would take Jamal any day of the week. Pretty much what big blue said.

Bright minds think alike

keylime_5 10-11-2006 12:47 PM

I'd take Jamal Williams. He's like a sumo wrestler.

yourfavestoner 10-11-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by portermvp84
Jamal Williams is one of the best NT in the game, he's huge clogs up the middle and young.

Thirty years old isn't exactly young.

CC.SD 10-11-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

You can always tell the people who just noticed Williams for the first time last Sunday.

yourfavestoner 10-11-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerCohen
Quote:

You can always tell the people who just noticed Williams for the first time last Sunday.

No kidding. Williams isn't a pass rusher at all.

San Diego Chicken 10-11-2006 04:06 PM

Williams has been outstanding for a while now, its nice to see him finally get some credit. He makes every player on the Chargers defense better, and it's rare that you can say that about a defensive player.

Just as a point of comparison, the Chargers got off to a 6-1 start in 2002. Williams was hurt midseason, and the Chargers defense promptly fell apart and the team finished the season 2-7. The collapse could be directly tied to Williams's injury.

The Unseen 10-11-2006 04:27 PM

Quote:

And he drops back into pass coverage as well. I see him do it all the time and I am just in absolute shock.
It's called a zone blitz.

cunningham06 10-11-2006 04:53 PM

I would say Jamal Williams just because of how well he shuts down the middle. Casey Hampton has better skills in some areas and is faster, but he isn't quite the wrecking ball that Williams is inbetween the ends. Williams is a huge reason that the Chargers run defense is so good, the man demands double and triple teams.

wiseguy110 10-12-2006 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Unseen
Quote:

It's called a zone blitz.

I am pretty sure I didn't need your help on that one. Let me check:

NOPE.

Ravens1991 10-12-2006 03:07 PM

no need to be a wiseguy :wink:

dcarey20 10-12-2006 06:42 PM

jamal williams